Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:08 AM   #1
nStyle
macrumors 6502a

iPad 4 Warm / Yellow Screen?

Anyone notice their 4 is significantly warmer than the 3? I can't decide which one is the better screen. I'm thinking maybe the bluer screen of the 3 is less accurate.
nStyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:50 AM   #2
anubis1980
macrumors member

yes mine is, when i first turned it on i hated it, but the more i used it the more i realised that actually its much more accurate colour wise than the 3. I love it now.
anubis1980 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:57 AM   #3
HarryWarden
macrumors 6502

Yep, noticed it immediately. Doesn't get as bright as third gen either without turning brightness up to almost the max. Didn't like it at all to begin with but now don't really mind it.

Do you observe the same behavior regarding the brightness?
HarryWarden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:42 AM   #4
Sh4wN
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
It's probably more of an optical effect. Blue display tend to look crisper and brighter than the warmer, more accurate ones. And slight variations of brightness and color reproduction between screens are normal, too.
Sh4wN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:43 AM   #5
blackbelter
macrumors member

It definitely gets warm in 3D games, but still bearable.
blackbelter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:51 AM   #6
Lukewarmwinner
macrumors 6502

Felt it in the store and damn that thing was hot! Surely it's been running for hours at a time in the stores with people pressing it to the max, but still it felt kinda wrong. Wonder if it's gonna flame up when being in case!
Lukewarmwinner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:03 AM   #7
Random 995K
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukewarmwinner View Post
Felt it in the store and damn that thing was hot! Surely it's been running for hours at a time in the stores with people pressing it to the max, but still it felt kinda wrong. Wonder if it's gonna flame up when being in case!
I think the thread was about the colour of the screen (cool/warm) not the actual temperature of the ipad
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:05 AM   #8
anubis1980
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
Yep, noticed it immediately. Doesn't get as bright as third gen either without turning brightness up to almost the max. Didn't like it at all to begin with but now don't really mind it.

I did notice that i have to have it almost 100% to get the same perceived brightness as i had on my 3 at 75%
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:29 AM   #9
Lukewarmwinner
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random 995K View Post
I think the thread was about the colour of the screen (cool/warm) not the actual temperature of the ipad
Ha! Sorry 'bout that! Didn't notice

But it is warm though
Lukewarmwinner is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:08 AM   #10
Sh4wN
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukewarmwinner View Post
It's getting charged while being used constantly, probably on 100% brightness. Some heat is to be expected.
Sh4wN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:26 AM   #11
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by nStyle View Post
I'm thinking maybe the bluer screen of the 3 is less accurate.
See my post here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...41&postcount=7

Also probably worth mmentioning that it has nothing to do with moving over to the ipad 4. You could of just as easily started off with a yellow panel ipad 3 and then moved on to a blue/cold ipad 4. Just luck of the draw really.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:17 AM   #12
tarasis
macrumors 6502

Yes, mine too. The brightness at max doesn't match max on the 3, and over the whole screen there is like a dullness or haze.

That said, comparing the two: the 3's tint isn't as even as the 4's

Looking at photos on both screens, while subtle, the iPad 3 wins every time. The detail stands out a bit more, it looks a bit smudged on the 4

Diagonally on a black screen, the 3 has a pink cast, the 4 purple.

At about 120-170 looking up the screen, the 3 is still clear, the 4 hazed over.

The yellower screen on the 4 is softer on the eyes.

The 3 has more contrast than the 4 does, text stands out more.

However my 3 has some dust under the screen (near the button) and a slightly brighter patch (right vertical side, bout 1/5 way up) which can be noticeable when reading places like here.

With all of that I am not sure which screen I'd actually prefer to have at the moment. I do notice improvements in the 4 but the screen puts me off a bit, so strongly debating the staying with the 3 (with its flaws but better contrast/clarity), keeping the 4 (with the haze) or getting another 4 to compare it against the other 4.

Last edited by tarasis; Nov 12, 2012 at 07:27 AM.
tarasis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:03 AM   #13
Nezben
macrumors newbie

My 4th gen is warmer than my iPad 2 that i had. I would say the the 4th gen's screen is better calibrated. The colours look more natural and on the whole, the screen is just gorgeous.
No backlight bleed at all when brighness is on 50%.

Very pleased with it.
Nezben is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:04 AM   #14
nStyle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
See my post here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...41&postcount=7

Also probably worth mmentioning that it has nothing to do with moving over to the ipad 4. You could of just as easily started off with a yellow panel ipad 3 and then moved on to a blue/cold ipad 4. Just luck of the draw really.
Now that I think of it, I remember my Dell 24" monitor being very much warmer than my iMac screen. The Dell model I had was renowned for it's color accuracy, so maybe warmer is definitely more accurate.

I would have to say that judging by the general consensus, most 3 owners received a bluer panel while pretty much every 4th gen owner I've seen (read) has a more yellow tone. I don't think it's coincidental, because my Mini has (had, I'm returning it) a much warmer screen than my iP5 as well.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:47 AM   #15
anubis1980
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nStyle View Post
Now that I think of it, I remember my Dell 24" monitor being very much warmer than my iMac screen. The Dell model I had was renowned for it's color accuracy, so maybe warmer is definitely more accurate.

I would have to say that judging by the general consensus, most 3 owners received a bluer panel while pretty much every 4th gen owner I've seen (read) has a more yellow tone. I don't think it's coincidental, because my Mini has (had, I'm returning it) a much warmer screen than my iP5 as well.
i was sent a replacement 4 (for different reasons than the screen) and the screen was very blue, and had dust under it, so i sent it back. There are blue ones out there, yellow one seem more common.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:44 PM   #16
Noctilux.95
macrumors 6502

My iPad 4 is just the opposite. The screen is cooler than my previous iPad 3.
Noctilux.95 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:52 PM   #17
KeepCalmPeople
macrumors 6502a

Thumbs up

My 4 is definitely warmer than my 2 was, and also warmer/yellower than my iPhone 4S. The display is much crisper and about the same warmth as my wife's iPad 3, but then she never cleans her screen

Overall I am very happy with the screen. Now I'm debating whether to return it for a cellular model...
KeepCalmPeople is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:27 PM   #18
tarasis
macrumors 6502

We got another iPad 4 this evening to see if it was better, and for the most part it was.

The colour was much yellower than the other iPad 4, making the first one just look bluer/greyer in comparison (and closer to the iPad 3 than it fist seemed). That was fine, I prefer the tone, easier on the eyes, contrast was great and it didn't have the haze the first one had (hard viewing angles were very clear). Big Thumbs Up.

The bugger is that there was visible bleed down the left edge and along the bottom which meant that the top left had a paler cast (particularly noticeable in the Safari address bar or Settings) and the bottom left had a darker cast (again Settings showed this).

Neither are great, though plus as they didn't have dust under the screen or dead pixels. It disturbs me a bit that the nearest to perfect iPad screen I have is for the iPad 2.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:34 PM   #19
Deasnutz
macrumors regular

There are blue ones out there like it was said before...I bought a white from apple then a black from best buy (both 4's). The white one was way white but images weren't as sharp as the black which isn't as white.but sharp as my old 3
Deasnutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:11 PM   #20
D.T.
macrumors 68030

My 4 shifted over 2 weeks from a warm to a more neutral-to-warm ... looks great to me, matches my IPS Viewsonic.

Love the 4, good enough upgrade over my 3 for the ~$150 for nearly 7 months of service.
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:15 PM   #21
forza1976
macrumors regular

my iphone 5 was warm and then got whiter and my ipad 4 was warmer and is even getting whiter every day.

I think it's just normal break in.
forza1976 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:00 PM   #22
nStyle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Love the 4, good enough upgrade over my 3 for the ~$150 for nearly 7 months of service.
Agreed. The difference paid to me was worth the cable consistency (I hate using two different chargers) alone.

One thing that bugs me though is Apple's manufacturing consistency. It sounds like they literally go to suppliers and say "Okay, who is going to give me lowest price this month. You, yellow? How about you, blue?"
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:44 AM   #23
liam1981
macrumors newbie

I was just wondering Can anybody give me some information My iPad 4 Seems to be getting warm down the one side The Left hand side On the white Border On the side with no Side buttons Some help would be much appreciated
liam1981 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:34 PM   #24
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

If it still bothers you, jailbreak and install f.lux which lets you adjust the color temp of the screen.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:02 PM   #25
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
If it still bothers you, jailbreak and install f.lux which lets you adjust the color temp of the screen.
That or Springtomize which lets you customize pretty much every aspect of iOS. I made my iPad mini screen much cooler than stock, love it that much more!

I dialed down the red to about 95% and green to 92% keeping blue at 100%, now it reminds me allot of my iPad 2 screen which was brilliant!
mpayne2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad