Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:39 AM   #1
Rory Manton
macrumors regular

An Observation Regarding Iphones.

I read these pages quite a lot and one day hope to b e able to give something back to the site for all the help its given me but as I am a bit of a technical Luddite probably not for a while yet.

Some of the things I'v noticed is that there seams to be a lot of problems with the iphone, people saying mines done this, it's done that, HELP ME. When I read these things I start to wonder about my phone and what I am doing wrong because I never seam to have the amount of issues posted on here and I'm not that bothered about dings ,scuffs or marks on the tool I use. This is not to say I don't care for it but it is, after all, a tool.

I have come to a couple of conclusions,

1, If I was to get all the problems posted here on my phone, then I would get rid of the thing. This is unlikely as just look at the small amount of problems posted compared to the vast amount of users.

and

2, To try and get some of the problems posted I would have to, firstly, utilise the phone to its fullest potential instead of just using it for making phone calls and texts plus a bit of looking at the interwebmabobthingy and secondly upload/download whatever it is ,more things on to it to make the possibility of things going wrong more likely!

I must say that I am NOT having a pop at the great and the good who have helped me with my apple stuff just posting a few silly little observations.

Now, if you excuse me i'v got some tin cans and string that need my attention.

Do have a good day now.

Thanks for the help.
Rory Manton is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:50 AM   #2
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Must be really nice to not have any problems with your iPhone.

Well, the reason why you see numerous threads with people stating their problem is because they genuinely need help with their device. That being said, people who have iPhones without problems will not come to the forums & proclaim that, because there's no point in doing so.

Cheers.
Beeplance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:57 AM   #3
saving107
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
Well, the reason why you see numerous threads with people stating their problem is because they genuinely need help with their device. That being said, people who have iPhones without problems will not come to the forums & proclaim that, because there's no point in doing so.

Cheers.
Agreed.

Thread title: The iPhone x will fail
Thumb resize.

Thread title: My iPhone is flawless
Thumb resize.
saving107 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:05 AM   #4
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by saving107 View Post
Agreed.

Thread title: The iPhone x will fail
Thumb resize.

Thread title: My iPhone is flawless
Thumb resize.
Wow nice pictures to bring across your point! Haha!
Beeplance is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:08 AM   #5
Rory Manton
macrumors regular

But the amount of problems posted is minuscule compared to the amount of users. One of the points I was trying ( very badly) to make is that most things problems I see are due to people utilising the phone to its fullest unlike me who just uses it for making calls ,texts and surfing.

Thanks for the help.
Rory Manton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:12 AM   #6
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory Manton View Post
But the amount of problems posted is minuscule compared to the amount of users. One of the points I was trying ( very badly) to make is that most things problems I see are due to people utilising the phone to its fullest unlike me who just uses it for making calls ,texts and surfing.
FYI, there are people who didn't even get to use their phone & it already had problems RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. A perfect example is the infamous scuff-gate issue, countless reports of new iPhone 5 having scratches right after taking out of the box despite the owners not even touching it.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:20 AM   #7
Rory Manton
macrumors regular

Quote:
FYI, there are people who didn't even get to use their phone & it already had problems RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. A perfect example is the infamous scuff-gate issue, countless reports of new iPhone 5 having scratches right after taking out of the box despite the owners not even touching it.
I know, but how many is it compared to those without problems?

Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:24 AM   #8
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I know, but how many is it compared to those without problems?
Just to let you know that problems do not necessarily arise because people "use their phones to the full potential" like you claim.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:31 AM   #9
Rory Manton
macrumors regular

Quote:
Just to let you know that problems do not necessarily arise because people "use their phones to the full potential" like you claim.
Beeplance, I KNOW , this was meant to be a light hearted dig at the way I use my phone ie NOT to its full potential.

Dings, scuffs and scratches are not acceptable on a new item but hardly worth a "scuffgate" ( did I get that right?) tabloid headline.

I'v been waiting for my new I5 for over 6 weeks now, I have seen the van that had it on outside my house but it was taken away again because my supplier cocked up my address, TWICE, but its hardly a problem just an inconvenience.

Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:48 AM   #10
stonyboys
macrumors 6502

very smart and insightful, only the one thing i can do think of is that one time you wont have the thing you dont know what to say or do and then apple wont give nothing unless you dont know how to have the super potential of such a device without observation and without doing the one thing we all know what to do is without everything else and within nothing except enjoying devices and then you know exactly what you mean
stonyboys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:22 AM   #11
Rory Manton
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyboys View Post
very smart and insightful, only the one thing i can do think of is that one time you wont have the thing you dont know what to say or do and then apple wont give nothing unless you dont know how to have the super potential of such a device without observation and without doing the one thing we all know what to do is without everything else and within nothing except enjoying devices and then you know exactly what you mean
Err, yes?

Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:38 AM   #12
JetBlack7
macrumors 68000

Personally I never had any issues with any of my iPhones, and I had the iPhone since the 3GS. Ordered my iPhone 5 one week ago and getting anxious. So on my behalf, I think the iPhone is a very good smartphone with a lot to offer and no headaches.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:14 AM   #13
anvikapur
macrumors member

Quote:
I read these pages quite a lot and one day hope to b e able to give something back to the site for all the help its given me but as I am a bit of a technical Luddite probably not for a while yet.

Some of the things I'v noticed is that there seams to be a lot of problems with the iphone, people saying mines done this, it's done that, HELP ME. When I read these things I start to wonder about my phone and what I am doing wrong because I never seam to have the amount of issues posted on here and I'm not that bothered about dings ,scuffs or marks on the tool I use. This is not to say I don't care for it but it is, after all, a tool.

1, If I was to get all the problems posted here on my phone, then I would get rid of the thing. This is unlikely as just look at the small amount of problems posted compared to the vast amount of users.

and

2, To try and get some of the problems posted I would have to, firstly, utilise the phone to its fullest potential instead of just using it for making phone calls and texts plus a bit of looking at the interwebmabobthingy and secondly upload/download whatever it is ,more things on to it to make the possibility of things going wrong more likely!

I must say that I am NOT having a pop at the great and the good who have helped me with my apple stuff just posting a few silly little observations.

Do have a good day now.
what a keen observation i must say
anvikapur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:29 AM   #14
smiddlehurst
macrumors 65816

Quote:
And here we have a perfect example of the internet overstating a problem.

Was there an issue with some (note SOME) iPhone's having cosmetic issues? Yes, absolutely. Did this affect users? Yes. Was it 'infamous'? No, not at all.

In reality it was a small-scale issue seemingly affecting a number of units in certain batches. Considering the hype died down pretty damn quickly it seems safe to assume that, while individual units may still have issues, whatever manufacturing problems there were have now been largely sorted out. Apple immediately replaced all affected units and that was that. Except, of course, that story brings all the fanboys on every side rushing out so websites overplay it looking for hits, forums exploded into the equivalent of 'my dad's better than yours', everyone with a scuff starts their own thread despite there being a clear and obvious existing one... heck even this very site linked to a video of someone vandalizing a store iPhone with a set of keys to 'prove' it wasn't durable. Frankly it's pathetic and gets in the way of any kind of rational debate.

On a related topic, is anyone else utterly sick and tired of EVERY problem in the geek world being termed whatever-gate? Come on folks, we're meant to be a fairly creative bunch, surely we can come up with something better?
smiddlehurst is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:36 AM   #15
hifromtomorrow
macrumors member

Quote:
It's just common sense.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:06 AM   #16
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040

The only issue I had with my iPhone 5 was getting hold of the damn thing in the first place !

Happy days !!
bandofbrothers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:47 PM   #17
John Adams
macrumors regular

No problem with my I5 at all. It works just like it's supposed to and I really like it. There are definitely some features I miss about my Android but overall the iPhone suits me fine.
John Adams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:17 PM   #18
hotsauce
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

and

Do have a good day now.
It's like visiting the hospital and asking why everyone has something wrong with them while you have perfect health. You should look at this place as a hospice for iPhone owners.
hotsauce is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:24 PM   #19
JerseyDoug
macrumors regular

Basic rule of the Internet is that human nature is to post problems on a forum. Rarely do folks come on a forum to say how great something is. Therefore, forums are skewed towards problems making it appear every has a problem. They don't.
JerseyDoug is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:22 AM   #20
Rory Manton
macrumors regular

Now I feel totally left out!

Somebody has posted that he has a rattle on his phone and that the man in the apple shop said they all have it, something to do with the camera.

Well mine hasn't and I am angry. I want this feature.

Even after I dropkicked it down the corridor at work it still doesn't rattle. This is an outrage!!!

Thanks for the help.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:06 AM   #21
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Before reading the above, please drop acid.
sulpfiction is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:18 AM   #22
Jare
macrumors 65816

iPhones*
Jare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:38 AM   #23
Rory Manton
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
Before reading the above, please drop acid.
Hear, hear.

Thanks for the help.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:36 AM   #24
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Now I feel totally left out!

Somebody has posted that he has a rattle on his phone and that the man in the apple shop said they all have it, something to do with the camera.

Well mine hasn't and I am angry. I want this feature.

Even after I dropkicked it down the corridor at work it still doesn't rattle. This is an outrage!!!
U have the rattle. It's the camera lens mechanics. They ALL rattle. Tap right around the camera and you will hear it. It's pretty slight, but it's there.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:44 AM   #25
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
U have the rattle. It's the camera lens mechanics. They ALL rattle. Tap right around the camera and you will hear it. It's pretty slight, but it's there.
Sarcasm is lost here !
bandofbrothers is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone