Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:52 AM   #1
VTI1031
macrumors newbie

iMac Hard Disk issue, any tips?

Last friday my old trusted iMac from 2007 started acting weird with a 500gb HD, I tried a reboot but it got worse and I got stuck on the apple logon screen. I suspected the HD and tried running disk utility and it confirmed that it was the HD, but couldn't repair it.

I tried formatting it and reinstalled snow leopard which worked fine. But it seemed to not have fixed the HD issue since it got stuck again after reboot. Was working fine before the reboot.

Now I made 2 partitions, beginning with P1 and putting the OS on the second partition, P2. 300gb and 200gb.

This seems to have solved my boot problem and the iMac seems to be able to restart every time.

How do I fix the HD issues on the first P1? I tried Diskwarrior and Driver Genius, both notices errors in P1, but none of them can finish the repair, it always stops quite early with unexpected errors.

Any tips what I should try next? I would be happy if I could just mark those spaces as damaged and use the rest of the HD, but as of now, none of the tools I tried seem to work

Thanks!

----------

Repair with Driver Genius gives me

Invalid volume free block count
(It should be 72465772 instead of 72465774)
The volume Downloads was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.
Repair Failed.
VTI1031 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:08 AM   #2
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTI1031 View Post
Last friday my old trusted iMac from 2007 started acting weird with a 500gb HD, I tried a reboot but it got worse and I got stuck on the apple logon screen. I suspected the HD and tried running disk utility and it confirmed that it was the HD, but couldn't repair it.

I tried formatting it and reinstalled snow leopard which worked fine. But it seemed to not have fixed the HD issue since it got stuck again after reboot. Was working fine before the reboot.

Now I made 2 partitions, beginning with P1 and putting the OS on the second partition, P2. 300gb and 200gb.

This seems to have solved my boot problem and the iMac seems to be able to restart every time.

How do I fix the HD issues on the first P1? I tried Diskwarrior and Driver Genius, both notices errors in P1, but none of them can finish the repair, it always stops quite early with unexpected errors.

Any tips what I should try next? I would be happy if I could just mark those spaces as damaged and use the rest of the HD, but as of now, none of the tools I tried seem to work

Thanks!

----------

Repair with Driver Genius gives me

Invalid volume free block count
(It should be 72465772 instead of 72465774)
The volume Downloads was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.
Repair Failed.
Get a new hard drive. Back up the stuff on your old one. No sense in using a hard drive that you know is on the verge of failure.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:12 AM   #3
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

If the damage....

is in the logic part of disc (directory structure, bad blocks and so on) maybe a software solution can be applied. However, if the damage it is physical I would suggest you try to recover the info in the disk and later moves on

Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:13 AM   #4
VTI1031
macrumors newbie

With the added cost of new HD + Service (if I dont do it myself) + new ram it will cost me around half what a new mac mini cost, which I plan to be my next setup.

The only thing holding me back on executing on the new mini is I am waiting for the next ACD.

I know I shouldnt wait but seeing the new iMac I have hopes that the next design for ACD will be something special as well
VTI1031 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help