Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
Hi All,

I haven't been able to get on my campus' network since the start of the semester, their IT team (low-level) couldn't figure it out after an hour of toying around. I can log onto the network from any other device, but it appears my MAC address might be blocked. I am in a networking class, so I was trying out WireShark on my home network awhile ago (I live alone but have plenty of devices running on the network) to see how it works. I tried running a command in the terminal to disable promiscuous mode, it said "bad value" for
Code:
sudo ifconfig en1 -promisc
, so clearly I am missing something.

Partial output for
Code:
sudo ifconfig en1
is:
Code:
en1: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

It appears PROMISC mode is turned on for my MacBook Pro's (10.8) built in WiFi (Airport). How do I disable PROMISC? I didn't see an option in WireShark.

Also, no I am not trying to snoop on people. My professor mentioned WireShark in a lecture at the beginning of the semester in my computer networks class.

Thanks in advance,

Cory

fentonnyc

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
New York City
promiscuous mode

Not too many folks have even heard of
'prp mode". I have the opposite problem. I WANT to set up "pro mode", otherwise my wireshark only capyures packets from the computer it's installed on.
How'd you do it?

macbook pro mid 2010

Thanks,

fenton

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.