Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:47 AM   #1
corywoolf
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to corywoolf
Disable Promiscuous Mode?

Hi All,

I haven't been able to get on my campus' network since the start of the semester, their IT team (low-level) couldn't figure it out after an hour of toying around. I can log onto the network from any other device, but it appears my MAC address might be blocked. I am in a networking class, so I was trying out WireShark on my home network awhile ago (I live alone but have plenty of devices running on the network) to see how it works. I tried running a command in the terminal to disable promiscuous mode, it said "bad value" for
Code:
sudo ifconfig en1 -promisc
, so clearly I am missing something.

Partial output for
Code:
sudo ifconfig en1
is:
Code:
en1: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
It appears PROMISC mode is turned on for my MacBook Pro's (10.8) built in WiFi (Airport). How do I disable PROMISC? I didn't see an option in WireShark.

Also, no I am not trying to snoop on people. My professor mentioned WireShark in a lecture at the beginning of the semester in my computer networks class.

Thanks in advance,

Cory
corywoolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking