Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:52 AM   #1
WebHead
macrumors member

iTunes Match - restart from scratch?

Now that we're at a point where the first of the iTunes Match subscriptions would have been up for renewal, and assuming Apple is improving iTunes Match accuracy all the time, I'm wondering ...

If I let my subscription lapse, then rejoin, will it scan my library from scratch and potentially match more songs? Or will my library remain on file for when I rejoin?
WebHead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:57 PM   #2
jphall
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebHead View Post
Now that we're at a point where the first of the iTunes Match subscriptions would have been up for renewal, and assuming Apple is improving iTunes Match accuracy all the time, I'm wondering ...

If I let my subscription lapse, then rejoin, will it scan my library from scratch and potentially match more songs? Or will my library remain on file for when I rejoin?
Class, anyone? ::grin::
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:59 PM   #3
blevins321
macrumors 68030

Not sure if that would do it. But one way you could do this would be to copy all of your library files to a temporary location. Then delete the files from your iTunes library; letting it clear out your cloud library too. Then readd the files and let it try to scan your library again.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 07:33 AM   #4
urkel
macrumors 68010

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebHead View Post
Your library is stored for 90days. So even if you lapse it's all still there for when you sign up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevins321 View Post
Not sure if that would do it. But one way you could do this would be to copy all of your library files to a temporary location. Then delete the files from your iTunes library; letting it clear out your cloud library too. Then readd the files and let it try to scan your library again.
The problem with that is if you uploaded 20GB of songs Apple deems "unmatched" from last year then you have to upload them again.

The obvious solution is for Apple to re-evaluate your uploaded songs and see if their updated database can now match it up right. But once again, Apple proves they have zero interest in improving a product once the media buzz has wore off.

Match is a good product but considering its a oaid service it definitely needs an update. (Options to grab iTunes Metadata, fix duplicates and rematch library are sorely missing and I'm surprised they didn't offer any new features for year 2)
urkel is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store