Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aviatorr01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Hi guys,

As you all know there is no CD drive on the MBA. I'm just curious to know if I can put a program disc into my iMac and then transfer it to an SD, and then put the SD into a MBA and install it? And if so how would I do that, what files would I have to transfer?

Or if you know of any other way, could you please share..

Thanks,

Aviatorr

leeds utd fc

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2009
Leeds UK
Hi guys,

As you all know there is no CD drive on the MBA. I'm just curious to know if I can put a program disc into my iMac and then transfer it to an SD, and then put the SD into a MBA and install it? And if so how would I do that, what files would I have to transfer?

Thanks,

Aviatorr

I'm not sure about installing anything from an SD card, but if you have an iMac then you can share the optical drive from that to your MBA, and install your programs from there.

I can't remember the exact steps for doing so (but I'm sure someone give you the right instructions shortly!) and I'm on my work's Windows pc at the moment so I can't take a look, but it's the method I use.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
In System Preferences in Sharing on both Macs, enable DVD sharing. Then simply insert the DVD in your iMac and IF both your Macs are on the same network, the DVD should show in your MacBook Air's Finder.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi guys,

Thanks,

Aviatorr

Sure... that would work. Just pop the CD in and in Disk Utility and go to the File menu and chose New > Image from disk to make a DMG of the CD. Then copy that DMG file to the SD card and move it over to the MBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.