Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:38 AM   #1
steviewhy
macrumors regular

Nexus 7 :Melts down on Overheating

Just saw this on android-doctor. Might want to keep an eye on your Nexus 7 in the meantime to see if this is an isolated case or not.

http://android-doctor.com/major-issu...n-overheating/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nexus-7-Melted-Down-3.jpeg
Views:	367
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	376718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nexus-7-Melted-Down-1.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	376719  
steviewhy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:40 AM   #2
3bs
macrumors 603

Never had any issues with my N7 but I guess I'll keep an eye out.
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:21 AM   #3
Jibbajabba
macrumors 6502a

Whoops ..
Jibbajabba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:55 AM   #4
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Holy crap, that's not overheating, that's straight up combusting. How does something like that happen?

edit: read the article (yeah, I should've done that before I commented). That happened just from letting it charge for 3 hours? Scary stuff.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:33 AM   #5
Tarzanman
macrumors 65816

The only part that could get that hot is the battery. I have a nexus 7 and it runs considerably cooler than the last 3 phones I have had.

Regarding the photo/story.... be careful... (Samsung) busted a guy about a year ago who claimed that his phone had melted. It turns out that the guy had put in in the microwave and tried to make an insurance claim on it. I think this was in the UK?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:38 AM   #6
steviewhy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
The only part that could get that hot is the battery. I have a nexus 7 and it runs considerably cooler than the last 3 phones I have had.

Regarding the photo/story.... be careful... (Samsung) busted a guy about a year ago who claimed that his phone had melted. It turns out that the guy had put in in the microwave and tried to make an insurance claim on it. I think this was in the UK?
I actually just read that article about the microwave incident myself. In any case, my Nexus 7 is running beauty. It was more just a heads up. It's probably an isolated incident, since any equipment can malfunction at some point.

For myself, I'll just not let mine charge unattended until I see more about where this story goes.
steviewhy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:00 AM   #7
Rodster
macrumors 68030

That only happens when you have a defective battery. Remember several years ago when Sony batteries were exploding in laptops? I'm sure ASUS will investigate it. Typically a battery will do that when there's a short inside the battery.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:14 AM   #8
cynics
macrumors 603

This happens on occasion to a lot of devices. There's been reports of many phones doing it including the iPhone. First time I've seen it on a tablet though. I guess the bigger the battery the bigger the damage, yikes.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:26 AM   #9
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
This happens on occasion to a lot of devices. There's been reports of many phones doing it including the iPhone. First time I've seen it on a tablet though. I guess the bigger the battery the bigger the damage, yikes.
...I'm never gonna sit my iPad in my lap again.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:02 AM   #10
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
...I'm never gonna sit my iPad in my lap again.
I never heard of it happening with an iPad, but a few times with iPhones while they are in someone's pocket. I've heard Apple replaces these pretty quick with no/little charge to the customer.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:51 PM   #11
waltercln
macrumors regular

I leave my phone charging over night since forever with no issues and this happened after only 3 hours? Not buying it. Faulty battery or something isn't being told.
waltercln is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices