Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eazos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Hi
I have a macbook air 120GB computer and I am getting error messages that my hard drive is full.
I downloaded omnidisksweep and on the first window (drive list) the machintosh HD is shown as having 120GB of 120GB in use however when it sweeps the drive it only shows 74GB in use (the bulk of this is my music collection). Also if I go into finder - Machintosh HD and right click selecting 'more info' on the various folders it only comes up with around 75GB.

I've deleted all the trash, don't use emails on the computer and don't use the time machine.

Would anyone know where the remaining 45GB of data is so that I can start to delete it or move it somewhere else?
Thanks
Eoghan

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
Hi
I have a macbook air 120GB computer and I am getting error messages that my hard drive is full.
I downloaded omnidisksweep and on the first window (drive list) the machintosh HD is shown as having 120GB of 120GB in use however when it sweeps the drive it only shows 74GB in use (the bulk of this is my music collection). Also if I go into finder - Machintosh HD and right click selecting 'more info' on the various folders it only comes up with around 75GB.

I've deleted all the trash, don't use emails on the computer and don't use the time machine.

Would anyone know where the remaining 45GB of data is so that I can start to delete it or move it somewhere else?
Thanks
Eoghan

Hmm. Rebooted since you did the sweep? could be temporary/cached files...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Are you using Time Machine? Time Machine stores local backups and that may be taking some of your space. If you turn Time Machine off then back on it will zero out the local backups.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
do you use aperture or iPhoto? Check that the trash in those apps is empty as well. When you move something to the trash in those apps it doesnt delete from the harddrive. You would empty that trash into the system trash and then empty that trash.

eazos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Hi

I'm not using the timemachine and have rebooted.

I think I've gotten to the bottom of it. Myself and my girlfriend have different user ids and she has tonnes of photos whereas I've tonnes of music. Strange that this didn't show up on the omnisweep though. Hence I suppose the next question is is there a place on the computer to store these items in a more compacted form or will we just have to start using a hard disk?
My music is in itunes and her photos are in folders on the finders menus.

Thanks for all the help and replies

Eoghan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.