Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:12 AM   #1
rocoloco
macrumors member

internet on mba

hey,
so i'm staying in a student dormitory with my roommate. we have set up our wifi network. i have mba 2011, he has a dell laptop and his internet works faster.

For example, when we watch series online I always struggle with slow loading time and only few times a day can watch an episode without any lags, or waiting 1h for episode to load. On his computer loading time is superb.

what could it be? at home i dont' have this kind of problems and router is located much further
rocoloco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:21 AM   #2
Spoonz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocoloco View Post
hey,
so i'm staying in a student dormitory with my roommate. we have set up our wifi network. i have mba 2011, he has a dell laptop and his internet works faster.

For example, when we watch series online I always struggle with slow loading time and only few times a day can watch an episode without any lags, or waiting 1h for episode to load. On his computer loading time is superb.

what could it be? at home i dont' have this kind of problems and router is located much further
This is a router/traffic shaping issue, not a problem with your laptop. It could be the consequence of a variety of reasons, but a common example: a lot of routers give the first machine priority bandwidth/speed wise, and everyone else is left with what's left. See if you can tinker with your router's firmware/settings.
Spoonz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:28 AM   #3
rocoloco
macrumors member

uhm he did set up a network using his laptop, so this is why he has the priority?
rocoloco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:36 AM   #4
donald.t
macrumors newbie

Delete the saved network item in the network preference and re-establish the connection. Look .what happens.?
donald.t is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air