Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

View Poll Results: Which do you currently have?
iPhone with data plan + 4G iPad with data plan 31 22.14%
iPhone w/o data plan + 4G iPad with data plan 1 0.71%
iPhone with data plan + WiFi iPad 107 76.43%
iPhone w/o data plan + WiFi iPad 1 0.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:18 AM   #1
solaris7
macrumors regular

Poll: For those with iPhone and iPad

I was curious about the general demographics. I am especially curious about people who have both an iPhone data plan and iPad data plan, why did you decide to buy two data plans, do you use your iPad outside a lot?
solaris7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:32 AM   #2
cardfan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris7 View Post
I was curious about the general demographics. I am especially curious about people who have both an iPhone data plan and iPad data plan, why did you decide to buy two data plans, do you use your iPad outside a lot?
Data sharing plan with Verizon. I guess technically it's (ipad) is a separate plan at 10 a month.
cardfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:34 AM   #3
SHirsch999
macrumors 6502

How would you have an iPhone without a data plan?
SHirsch999 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:58 AM   #4
solaris7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHirsch999 View Post
How would you have an iPhone without a data plan?
If you did not want to be stuck in a contract, you could buy an unlocked phone and decide whether or not you want to use a data plan with it.
solaris7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:00 AM   #5
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
If you did not want to be stuck in a contract, you could buy an unlocked phone and decide whether or not you want to use a data plan with it.
US carriers can tell what phone you are using. They will eventually detect you are using a smartphone and force you to get a data plan, or get off their network.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:04 AM   #6
Macman45
macrumors G5

iPhone 5 with plan, and a new iPad 4 wifi only model.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:17 AM   #7
Candykwan
macrumors newbie

iPhone 4S day with ipad wifi only...i usually go to places with wifi available so no point of getting data for it unless I plan on using it outdoors..whichionoy do with the phone for obvious reasons...if I do need it for whatever reason I just hotspot my phone
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:53 PM   #8
Badrottie
macrumors 68030

iphone 4s with data plan and iPad 2 with data plan but not data sharing plan. I am with AT&T.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:46 PM   #9
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

I've got an iPhone 5 with a tethering data plan. I use the tethering to connect my Wi-Fi iPad mini.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:50 AM   #10
Dlanod
macrumors 6502a

iPhone 5 and WiFi 4th gen iPad. I tether my iPhone if I'm somewhere without WiFi. I have unlimited data included in my phone contract.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:58 PM   #11
Ih8reno
macrumors 6502a

iPhone 5 and ipad 3, no data plan on the ipad as most places I go have wifi. If not I have a 6gb plan on my iPhone and tethering is free.
Ih8reno is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:38 PM   #12
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Non of above.
I have

iPhone with data plan + 4G iPad with w/o data plan
PracticalMac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:46 PM   #13
shenan1982
macrumors 68000

The results may be a bit skewed since there are a lot (myself included) who have iPhone 5 and iPad Mini, but have a preorder for the Mini (or 4th Gen) LTE.

Myself it's a no brainer because I have the data share (have 4 lines on it already), so for ten bux a month it's constant connectivity on the go. I mocked the data plan when ATT launched it, but it actually makes good sense for me.
shenan1982 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:11 PM   #14
adam044
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I dont think its even possible to get an iphone without a data plan

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
Non of above.
I have

iPhone with data plan + 4G iPad with w/o data plan
winner
adam044 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:19 PM   #15
Trooper Sam
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenan1982 View Post
The results may be a bit skewed since there are a lot (myself included) who have iPhone 5 and iPad Mini, but have a preorder for the Mini (or 4th Gen) LTE.

Myself it's a no brainer because I have the data share (have 4 lines on it already), so for ten bux a month it's constant connectivity on the go. I mocked the data plan when ATT launched it, but it actually makes good sense for me.
If I'm reading this right, you have or will have both on your shared plan. I just don't understand why you'd pay the ten bucks a month to add your iPad to the plan when you can just tether from your iPhone and save the ten bucks.
Trooper Sam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:38 PM   #16
Trooper Sam
macrumors newbie

Sloppy of me, I forgot to explain why I have data plans on both of my devices.

I have ULD on my AT&T iPhone 5. I don't dare tether because I was caught back when and I won't risk my plan now.

I have AT&T iPad ULD, and I ain't giving that up! I love that it's never throttled, and it's a beautiful thing with LTE.
Trooper Sam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:47 AM   #17
Hendu98
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper Sam View Post
If I'm reading this right, you have or will have both on your shared plan. I just don't understand why you'd pay the ten bucks a month to add your iPad to the plan when you can just tether from your iPhone and save the ten bucks.
I too opted for LTE iPad instead of tethering. I have Verizon...so...I get enough calls/texts that I don't want to mess with dropped data connections when doing stuff. 10 bucks a month makes total sense to me. If I know a slow month is coming, I can always flip it off...but 10 bucks is nothing if I skip treats at a movie or some other non essential
Hendu98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:45 PM   #18
shenan1982
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper Sam View Post
Have you ever relied on a tether as on-demand? It's not practical. To leave tether on constantly drains the heck out of the battery. Also, when USING the data connection it's constantly using the phone's battery, so it'll be dead in about 3-4 hours of data usage. Plus I don't want to have to pull out the phone and enable tethering anytime I want to use the data. Plus I want access to GPS, which the WiFi model cannot do. Plus $10 is the price of two days of Starbucks, it's not going to bankrupt me. Plus I just want it to work.

Was that enough reasons? It's highly impractical to suggest using the phone to tether data for more than an extremely "on occasion" instance. Having data anytime\anywhere is a huge advantage for the iPad mini... moreso than the full size, because the mini will go with me many more places than my maxiPad ever did. :-)

----------

Quote:
This is by no means scientific. LOL. Most people go the cheap route over the most convenient route. It's like the people who line up with their engines running at Costco Gas to save $0.10 per gallon, yet they burn that while idling.
shenan1982 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:16 PM   #19
raremage
macrumors 6502a

I have both with data, but on a shared data plan. My reasons:
  • I prefer ubiquitous access with my devices, and the cost is low enough that it's worth it to me.
  • On VZW, I can't tether and make a phone call at the same time
  • Tethering (to me) is a bit of a pain in the rump. I use it with a laptop sometimes, but wouldn't want to have to enable a hotspot every time I want to use my tablet.
raremage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:17 PM   #20
richardmu
macrumors 6502

I"m in the UK and have both an iphone and iPad on PAYGO. No contract with either. New mini WiFi only.
richardmu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:22 PM   #21
atthecross
macrumors 6502

this is me: iPhone with data plan + WiFi iPad
atthecross is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:10 PM   #22
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

My home optic fiber plan had a promotion for a free (albeit slow) wireless mobile data plan, which I am currently using on my ipad. Only reason why I got the 3G model.
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad