Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:17 AM   #1
fcortese
macrumors 68000

Weekly Photo Contest - Nov 8-14 (Theme: Repetition)

Welcome to this week's photo contest!

Theme: Repetition

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

Some of you may have heard that we had a little re-election here in the States. Regardless of which side of the aisle you are on, our president has gotten a 2nd term and a chance to repeat another 4 years. So let's see what creative ways you can show repetition in your photos.
fcortese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Keleko
macrumors 68000

Keleko is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:05 PM   #3
AxisOfBeagles
macrumors 6502

Canon 40D, EF 100 mm f/2.8 "Macro", ISO 200, f/11, 1/250, Aperture
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:53 PM   #4
28Fiend
macrumors member

21 Club
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:23 PM   #5
sflarc51
macrumors newbie

Pointilism

Shot with a Panasonic DMC-FZ18 at 55mm, f3.6, 1/320sec., ISO 100.
sflarc51 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:20 PM   #6
ijohn.8.80
macrumors 65816

Canon 1100D, Kit 55-250mm, 250mm, 1/350, f/5.6, ISO 800.

Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:29 PM   #7
deep diver
macrumors 6502a

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SweetSallySax - favs.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	375940  
deep diver is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:41 PM   #8
fireman32
macrumors 6502

From christmas last year

_N2B8339.jpg by dspector32, on Flickr
fireman32 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:19 AM   #9
Cheese&Apple
macrumors Demi-God

Centennial Park Greenhouse by Cheese&Apple on Flickr
Cheese&Apple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:02 AM   #10
acearchie
macrumors 68040

1, 2, 3... by acearchie, on Flickr
acearchie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:10 PM   #11
-hh
macrumors 68020

Horse Eye Jacks

Canon 7D; 10-22mm...in Ikelite Housing & 8" dome + strobes

-hh
-hh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:04 PM   #12
zaphodtheprez
macrumors newbie

Sweets

zaphodtheprez is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:54 AM   #13
cambookpro
macrumors 601

Patterned Pavement
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0177.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	376297  
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:14 PM   #14
AlexH
macrumors 65816

Bikes in monochrome by DigitAl3x, on Flickr
AlexH is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:47 PM   #15
imac wannabe
macrumors regular

Bullet Reflections by Paul Kohler, on Flickr
imac wannabe is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:49 PM   #16
jodelli
macrumors Demi-God

River, night
jodelli is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:47 PM   #17
JDDavis
macrumors 6502a

Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:41 PM   #18
gaswerks
macrumors 6502

dessert ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fruitcocktail.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	946.7 KB
ID:	376680  
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:19 AM   #19
dnjscott
macrumors newbie

Not quite sure what to say. by Daniel Scott, on Flickr
dnjscott is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:25 AM   #20
Chappers
macrumors 68020

Chappers is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:05 AM   #21
fcortese
macrumors 68000

Last day for entries. Close out at 11PM MST (GMT-9). Results sometime tomorrow.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:24 PM   #22
tudorjd
macrumors newbie

Space Invaders!

Shot with a Sony NEX-7 with Zeiss 24mm 1.8 emount lens
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC08906 (1).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	377299  
tudorjd is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:03 PM   #23
fcortese
macrumors 68000

Workshop will be closed in 1 hour. I'll have the results sometime tomorrow morning.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:34 AM   #24
fcortese
macrumors 68000

So many great entries for this contest. It was really tough to try and pick a top three. Everyone did such a superb job. Of course, this is always a subjective decision so here are my thoughts:

keleko I find this a very powerful and moving photo. I like the use of DOF and the symmetry of the held hands. It really leads your eyes into the photo. In an ideal world the two people holding hands, second in from the front, would have stepped about 4 inches or so to the right.

AxisOfBeagels Ladybugs are supposed to mean good luck, so there’s a whole lot of that in this picture. It is very busy picture and it took me a while to find the one crawling up the branch near the middle of the frame despite the nice use of DOF. Maybe if it were a little bit more towards the left hand side of the frame it would stand out more.

28Fiend Ah, the famous 21 Club. I remember my father taking me there after work one summer when I was working for him in his company’s warehouse while in college. I love the colors of the different jockeys and the framing of the photo, although the head of one of the jockeys was cut off near the bottom of the frame. Maybe a step or two back?? Overall, it is a very nice capture.

sflarc51 I must confess I had to look up “pointilism” (a technique of painting in which small, distinct dots of pure color are applied in patterns to form an image.) Once again, the use of DOF brings your eyes an area that occupies the top line in the rule of thirds. I also like the use of diagonal lines intersected by horizontal lines.

ijohn.8.80 Very nice use of texture, and shading coupled with DOF. There is also a nice use of variations on the color gray. Was this a shag rug or a pet’s coat?

deep diver I really like the black and gold coloring of this photo. My eyes were drawn to the musical score details on the repeating circular objects (valves on a saxophone?) and the subtle interjection of green a deep blue. Very nicely done.

fireman32 Nice use of a leading line with the lit Christmas trees and the driveway just drawing your eyes into the picture. Makes you wonder what awaits you at the end of the trail. Hot cocoa? Family and food?

Cheese&Apple Nice use of shadowing and side lighting in this picture of a field of daisies. There is also a subtle use of DOF, which has been present in many of the submitted photos.

acearchie When I return reincarnated, I’d like to be acearchie. He seems to have a never-ending supply of pretty women; hot tubs, hot cars, etc. Nice use of blue dresses with a blue car. May be next time, to make the gals “pop,” use a color on the opposite end of the color wheel such as red or orange dresses. Color me green with envy!

-hh I love the colors in this photo; the blue background, the light blue coloring of the fish coupled by their yellow fin. It’s like I’m in front of a fish tank and I’m just hypnotized by the scene. The central lighting does a nice job of highlighting some of the fish and drew my eyes straight to them.

zaphodtheprez Where do I start? Colors, DOF, lines, texture; so many photographic elements in one photo. Nicely done. Again, in an ideal world, the empty trays in the bottom right of the frame would have been filled with cookies. Kind leaves a hole in the composition. Maybe z ate them? ☺

cambookpro Repeating patterns and color to the tiles coupled with diagonal lines and lighting makes for a nice geometric picture.

AlexH I like your selection of a B&W for this street scene photo. Nice DOF is once again used to draw your eye to the bike out front. It’s only after leaving that object that I noticed the out of focus people in the background.

imac wannabe Nice use of repetition in so may different instances in this photo. There are the circles, the main objects, the similar reflected shadows, the squares the circles are in, etc. I like the coloring in this photo, although if I stared at it too long, I began to get vertigo!

jodelli This appears to be a long exposure shot (bulb setting?-there’s no EXIF info). The repetition pattern is interesting. I can’t quite figure it out as to the source. This makes for one to wonder what exactly is causing this. The repeating patterns and reflected light on the river make for a very interesting picture. Nicely done.

JDDavis For some reason I find this a very relaxing, soothing picture. It should be in a psychiatrist’s waiting room! I love the muted coloring with the subtle sage green background and the repeating paper wing structures. There is a nice use of subtle DOF, IMO, in this picture as well.

gasworks Very nice use of DOF in this photo with the central bowl of strawberries highlighted. I like the reds of the strawberries again the browns of the granite tabletop. The composition of this photo is very appealing to me. This photo makes me want to reach for the spoon and grab a mouth full.

dnjscott For those of you who are not familiar with the men and cars in this photo, they belong to an organization here in the states known as the Shriners. They participate in parades all across the US in these small cars; they wear fez hats and dress as cartoon characters. However, they raise a lot of money for the various Shriner Hospitals across the US where free medical care is given to crippled children. I always smile whenever I see them. dnjscott, you’ve captured the essence of them in this photo.

chappers Very nice display of a lunar eclipse; the various phases of the process. I am assuming this was photoshoped and not a multiple exposure shot. I like arc-like layout of the moons and, of course, the reddish colorization to the last four moons on the right-hand side of the composition. Nice work.

tudorjd There is an interesting use of lines in this photo with the invaders on the right hand side of the frame lined up straight but the ones to the left are more on a diagonal. I may be showing my age, I never really got into gaming (I stopped at Pong!) but there is no real pop to this picture. Maybe some more color would do it. But then again it’s a photo of Space Invaders, so it is what it is.

And the winners are:

3rd: tie, JDDavis & chappers
2nd: -hh
1st: deep diver

Congrats, deep diver! On to the next contest!

Last edited by fcortese; Nov 15, 2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: fixed one mis-application of a word
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:33 AM   #25
Chappers
macrumors 68020

Deep Diver - its been a long time coming but fully deserved. Lovely shot !

Thanks fcortese - great judging.
Chappers is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography