Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:23 AM   #1
jreuschl
macrumors 6502

Sound quality 3rd vs 4th generation

I tried doing a search and couldn't find anything on this topic. I have a 3rd generation iPod touch that I use pretty much strictly for an MP3 player. I see the 4th generation iPod touch has dropped down in price on the Apple refurb site. Any comments on if there are quality improvements in the 4th vs 3rd generation iPod Touch?

Thanks!
jreuschl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Ghostbusters
macrumors regular

The topic of audio quality of the iPod Touch 5 has already been discussed on this forum as well as on another similar forum.

Audio Quality 5g vs 2g

iPod touch 5 Sound Reviews?

TL;DR Audio quality is the same.

Last edited by Ghostbusters; Nov 12, 2012 at 12:48 PM.
Ghostbusters is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:25 PM   #3
Thetonyk123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbusters View Post
The topic of audio quality of the iPod Touch 5 has already been discussed on this forum as well as on another similar forum.

Audio Quality 5g vs 2g

iPod touch 5 Sound Reviews?

TL;DR Audio quality is the same.
You clearly didn't read thread. He was talking about 3rd gen and 4th gen.

Anyways I think the 4th gen sounds a bit better (speaker grill allows more sound?)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:58 PM   #4
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

i dont think you can find a significant different in sound quality between each gen of ipod touch as it is produced mainly for web browsing and games.

However, in my experiences, i find that 4th gen sound is quite rich and you can distinguish diff. instruments in the background ( i used apple earphones) It worth an upgrade with the screen and cpu speed alone.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:28 PM   #5
Ghostbusters
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetonyk123 View Post
You clearly didn't read thread. He was talking about 3rd gen and 4th gen.

Anyways I think the 4th gen sounds a bit better (speaker grill allows more sound?)
My bad. I read 4th vs 5th. However, these threads talk about all generations. They would answer his question anyway. 4th gen is definitely better and is louder when compared to 3rd (if speakerphone quality is all that matters).
Ghostbusters is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:36 PM   #6
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreuschl View Post
I tried doing a search and couldn't find anything on this topic. I have a 3rd generation iPod touch that I use pretty much strictly for an MP3 player. I see the 4th generation iPod touch has dropped down in price on the Apple refurb site. Any comments on if there are quality improvements in the 4th vs 3rd generation iPod Touch?

Thanks!
The sound quality difference is all subjective. The only way you will know is to try one out for yourself.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbusters View Post
4th gen is definitely better and is louder when compared to 3rd (if speakerphone quality is all that matters).
The third gen has a very weak external speaker.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:46 AM   #7
jreuschl
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the responses. I was looking for differences in audio quality using non-Apple headphones, not the internal speaker. I have access to an iPhone 4, so I'll do a comparison with my iPod touch (Likely similar quality with the Touch 4).

I know the Touch 4 would have an updated iPod interface, but functionality wise I think it is the same.
jreuschl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:54 AM   #8
touchipods
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreuschl View Post
Thanks for the responses. I was looking for differences in audio quality using non-Apple headphones, not the internal speaker. I have access to an iPhone 4, so I'll do a comparison with my iPod touch (Likely similar quality with the Touch 4).

I know the Touch 4 would have an updated iPod interface, but functionality wise I think it is the same.
Here is a good place:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/512767/new-...st-impressions

Majority say 4g is better with more bass presence and more body to the music.

Note, if you use Safari alot prepare for consistent crashing. 3G touch actually runs better when browsing. However some apps no longer support 3g so 4g is better long term along with iOS6 if you like.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch