Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm a Visualphile if there's such a thing. I own 2 Calibrated Panasonic VT50 Plasma televisions a 55 and 65 to give you a since of how screen quality means alot to me

So I can't help but keep the phone brightness at 100%, the screen looks junk below full brightness

anyone feel the same

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
I'm a Visualphile if there's such a thing. I own 2 Calibrated Panasonic VT50 Plasma televisions a 55 and 65 to give you a since of how screen quality means alot to me

So I can't help but keep the phone brightness at 100%, the screen looks junk below full brightness

anyone feel the same

I would go blind

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I find the screen exceedingly bright at 100% Too much for me use it comfortably in normal lighting situations.

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007
I may be going blind because less than 75% is much to dim for me to make out anything on the screen! It kills me at night, and I hate that there is no super fast way to change it like on the ipad...

But yeah, its almost full brightness always.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
100% is too bright for me as well. Usually keep it between 30-40. This helps me get through the day considering how much I'm on the phone.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Like junk? Your eyes adjust to different light levels, you know. Do you think the world looks great in the sun but then the stuff in your house "looks junk" when you come in because it's not as bright as the sun?

Throw in the remarkable level of contrast ratio our eyes are capable of and you end up with a body part that can easily handle an iPhone at 50% brightness without causing problems.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
That's eye-suicide if you ever have to use your phone in a dark environment.
I keep mine slightly below halfway.

If you're used to having it at so bright, then yeah, anything lower will bother. Same vice versa though

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007
That's eye-suicide if you ever have to use your phone in a dark environment.
I keep mine slightly below halfway.

If you're used to having it at so bright, then yeah, anything lower will bother. Same vice versa though

But then its eye suicide if you use it at half brightness and have to squint to read it when in full daylight! Its like with my macbook pro. I can feel my eyes doing more work when its 50%. 100% feels much easier to read and watch and everything else

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I find the screen exceedingly bright at 100% Too much for me use it comfortably in normal lighting situations.

I think maximum brightness is more to offset some of the natural dimming as displays age, which is partially leftover from CCFL lcds, and to facilitate viewing in direct sunlight.

raf66

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Count me in on the full brightness thing. Maybe it's my ever-advancing age but it just looks better at 100%. Plus, this thing has such an incredibly brilliant display that I just want to experience it at its fullest.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012

anyone feel the same

50-60% is more than bright enough for me.

What is it that a "visualphile" sees at 100% brightness that I do not at 60%?:rolleyes:

naisdes

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Mine's on auto brightness. Indoors right now at work with good lighting and it's at 70% which is perfect for me.

Mengels7

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
Unless I'm trying to conserve battery I'm at 100%. Screen's gorgeous, I'm often near a charger, why reduce the brightness and make it less pleasing to look at?

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Unless I'm trying to conserve battery I'm at 100%. Screen's gorgeous, I'm often near a charger, why reduce the brightness and make it less pleasing to look at?

Well some people (like myself) think 100% is way too bright for everyday use. My iPhone never goes above 50%. It is plenty. For you? I suppose it isn't. We all see things different, literally.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I would go blind

You and me both. Yes, I admit the screen might be nicer to look at when the brightness is turned up to 100%, but I still think my i5 screen looks great at 50%. But I'm also not a visualphile either.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
You and me both. Yes, I admit the screen might be nicer to look at when the brightness is turned up to 100%, but I still think my i5 screen looks great at 50%. But I'm also not a visualphile either.

Right the only place it seems to work is at the apple store, but that's only because from the parking lot to the apple store my pupils have shrunk from the glaring sun.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.