Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:55 AM   #1
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

First openly gay Austin school board member criticized for withholding sexuality

Not gonna lie, I would not have expected this from Austin.

From KVUE:

Quote:
AUSTIN -- In East Austin, the campaign signs have yet to come down. The race for AISD's District 2 school board seat pitted a priest, Reverend Jayme Mathias, against incumbent Sam Guzman.

Mathias came out on top.

"I thought that serving on the school board was all about serving our students and their families," the newly elected board member admitted.

But instead of policies, Mathias finds the focus on his sexual preference. This, after sharing he was gay in a post-election interview.

"It's something that I didn't feel the need to reveal," explained Mathias. "It's part of who I am, an important part of who I am, but it's not all of who I am."

Ordained in 2001, Mathias spent several years at East Austin's Christo Del Rey Catholic Church, taking over the pulpit following the murder of father Jesse Euresti back in 2009. Mathias left last March, joining the American Catholic Church.

"In the Roman Catholic tradition there are still documents saying that to be homosexual is to be intrinsically disordered," said Mathias.

"He went to my parish," said voter Frances Martinez. "He was my priest."

But Martinez says she now finds herself betrayed, not knowing Mathias was gay until after the election.

"The question here is the honesty," voiced Martinez. "He could have been honest to us. What else is there for us to know."

When the news hit papers Thursday, the headlines recognized Mathias as AISD's first openly gay board member. A title Larry Amaro says came through deception.

"I think parents should have the right to know," Amaro stated. "Because it will sway an election."

Now Amaro and others are suggesting a recount. As for Mathias, the new board member is trying to move on to what he calls the real issues.

"It's time for us as trustees to get to work regardless of who we are, where we come from, what race or religion or sexual orientation," said Mathias.

Reverend Mathias does have a fair share of support for his new role at AISD. His facebook page is filled with comments, such at this one from Kristie Martinez," The LGBT community should be proud to have a role model like you."

Mathias will be sworn in November 19.
One, I don't see where he lied about his sexual orientation; two, I don't see how it matters; and three, of all places in Texas for this to happen, I would never have expected Austin.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:03 AM   #2
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

I am curious why a priest, who's taken an oath of celibacy would even need to bring up his sexuality in the first place.

Other than that ... git over it Austin.
citizenzen is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:07 AM   #3
leenak
macrumors 65816

He says he left the Roman Catholic church and joined the American catholic church. There are certain sects that allow marriage and the American catholic church may be one of these (I don't know, I was brought up in the RCC).
leenak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Andeavor
macrumors 6502

I wonder whether Frances Martinez is going to willingly reveal every sexual partner of hers the next time she applies for anything. Let that sink in for an accusation. As if it's their [heteros] right to demand such a thing.

"Parents have the right to know"

Well, parents *should* have the right to know what all the other heterosexual board members are into sexually. I bet there's a couple of kinky S&M practitioners among them. Probably doing stuff even the most hardcore gay men would go '"I'm out!"

Honestly...
Andeavor is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:42 AM   #5
barkomatic
macrumors 68030

If this person was *asked* about their sexuality and lied about it -- then that's not good and is in fact dishonest. However, if no one ever posed the question then there was never any dishonesty. It's as if homosexuality is similar to a felony conviction that a person needs to disclose on a job application or something. Totally bigoted and I expect this attitude in Texas.
barkomatic is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:50 AM   #6
AhmedFaisal

<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 11, 2013 at 08:49 AM.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:05 PM   #7
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Totally bigoted and I expect this attitude in Texas.
How very prejudicial of you.

Actually, Austin is a veritable hotbed of liberal politics, which is why I found this story so surprising. But you go ahead and judge us all together now, okay? Because bigoted isn't the same thing as prejudiced.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:53 PM   #8
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post

Actually, Austin is a veritable hotbed of liberal politics, which is why I found this story so surprising. But you go ahead and judge us all together now, okay? Because bigoted isn't the same thing as prejudiced.
I wouldn't have expected it in Austin. The "betrayal" anecdotes cited by the article seem ridiculous to me. I really don't see it as an issue. He didn't make his sexuality part of his campaign. He seems a bit overly religious from the tone of a lot of the google supplied articles. I'm not sure whether this is an official site, but it details some of his past projects in case anyone is interested.

http://www.jaymemathias.com/teaching.html
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:05 PM   #9
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
If this person was *asked* about their sexuality and lied about it -- then that's not good and is in fact dishonest. However, if no one ever posed the question then there was never any dishonesty. It's as if homosexuality is similar to a felony conviction that a person needs to disclose on a job application or something. Totally bigoted and I expect this attitude in Texas.

The fact that this is happening in Austin is hugely surprising and unexpected - it's probably the most liberal area in Texas. It would be surprising in Houston as well - we even have an openly lesbian Mayor. That's 1 more than NYC has had (not counting Mayor Koch, of course. )
Moyank24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:10 PM   #10
Rodimus Prime
Banned

to me it sounds like the loser is being petty.
Rodimus Prime is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:05 PM   #11
barkomatic
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post

I was judging the state of Texas, not specifically Austin. There are a lot of good things about Texas that I like and I particularly enjoy Austin. However, the fact remains that these attitudes are more frequently associated with states like Texas than others. That's a fact. I hope it changes one day.
barkomatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:28 PM   #12
Orange Crane
macrumors 6502

Austin is liberal in comparison to the Texas average. It is not liberal compared to, say, the west coast. No surprises here.
Orange Crane is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues