Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:40 AM   #26
Meroigo
macrumors newbie

MacRumors, you should make a lawsuits category hidden from the main page. Thanks in advance.
Meroigo is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:42 AM   #27
timcullis
macrumors member

"Be ye ever so high, still the law is above you." Lord Denning
timcullis is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:43 AM   #28
kurosov
macrumors 6502a

I still see nothing wrong with the first statement. They might not have liked it but it did state facts.

I'm guessing the judge didn't want to seem like a dumbass with the whole "not as cool" comment. It was a stupid reasoning when he said it and its stupid now.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:44 AM   #29
andyjam
macrumors regular

BURN. Love it when the bully gets totally called out.
andyjam is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:44 AM   #30
macfacts
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
Times are changing, macrumors used to be full of fanboys that didnt care about logic but it seems Apples behaviour has pissed them off too.
Ipads and Iphones are BPA-free, enjoy your android device in your hospital bed
macfacts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:48 AM   #31
BvizioN
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
UK justice system is a joke beyond believe!!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:48 AM   #32
bushido
macrumors 601

this crap needs its own category imo
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:50 AM   #33
frogger2020
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
This is going to make a lot of petty people on the internet very happy.
This is going to make a lot of petty people on the internet very UNhappy.
frogger2020 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:52 AM   #34
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger2020 View Post
This is going to make a lot of petty people on the internet very UNhappy.
Why - are you being asked to foot the bill?
samcraig is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:54 AM   #35
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
The only thing Apple can do now is to pull out completely from the British isles. Anything less is just a show of weakness.
iGrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:55 AM   #36
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurosov View Post
I still see nothing wrong with the first statement. They might not have liked it but it did state facts.
Perhaps you don't see nothing wrong and you say that they stated facts because you'd have not read the ruling?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:56 AM   #37
TopToffee
macrumors 6502a

Am I missing something? What was "false" about their initial statement? Cheeky and not really in the spirit of the order, but I don't see how it was false.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:56 AM   #38
charlituna
macrumors 604

The real issue here is that the Judge made on record comments that basically sound like he agrees personally that Samsung copied, but the legal tests that would allow him to declare a violation of the law were not met. Then when he made this order he wasn't precise in the rules and opened himself up to having those comments exposed, thus causing embarrassment.

So he screams that Apple knew what was intended etc. which is a bit ironic since it seems he recognized that Samsung 'intended' to copy Apple's product design but the test of specificity failed and in patents specifics trump 'intent'.

Last edited by charlituna; Nov 12, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
charlituna is online now   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:57 AM   #39
rjohnstone
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyb View Post
While the original statement was misleading, childish, etc, which part of it was "false"? I would have thought that factual accuracy would have been important for them to get right in their eyes, even if they were going to disobey the intention of the statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurosov View Post

I'm guessing the judge didn't want to seem like a dumbass with the whole "not as cool" comment. It was a stupid reasoning when he said it and its stupid now.
The "false" and misleading statements were regarding the comments Apple made about its recent court victories.
Apple gave the perception that it's victories were counter to what the UK ruled. It implied that the UK's ruling was counter to every other court ruling that was in Apple's favor.
This is false.
This case in the UK was purely about the iPad's "Community Design", not about any technology patents.
Apple has not won a single victory with its iPad Community Design. It garnered some short lived injunctions, but no declarations of infringement. Even within the $1B judgment in the U.S., Apple lost it's argument that the Tab infringed its physical design patents.
Apple's decision to includes these comments, even thought they were totally irrelevant to the case at hand, was misleading if not flat out dishonest.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:58 AM   #40
Aluminum213
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGuy007 View Post
I'm honestly all sick of this Samsung, HTC, lawsuits and bullcrap.
Then tell apple to stop suing everything that they feel is a competitor
TV (3rd Gen)
Aluminum213 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:58 AM   #41
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
The only thing Apple can do now is to pull out completely from the British isles. Anything less is just a show of weakness.
You're a comedian, right?
samcraig is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:01 PM   #42
chris7777
macrumors 6502

Talk about the Judge throwing a hissy fit.

I might be a little more sympathetic to samsung, If they had not exactly copied apple advertisements, and packaging. But that is just way too "coincidental" to be an accident.

Apple disagreed with the decision, and playfully pointed out the Judges own words. He took offense and pitched a tantrum, by ordering to pay Samsung, as punishment for mocking his short sighted decision.
chris7777 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:05 PM   #43
melendezest
macrumors 6502a

If I gather anything from these litigation issues, it's that Apple is going to have to pick their battles more carefully.

Despite them believing that Android is stolen, etc, etc, Apple needs to defend their IPs a bit smarter. Otherwise, I think it's going to cost them more than they'd like.

I think that Apple took too long in bringing these suits out; I don't remember anything coming from them when Android first came to light. At this point, I'd just let it go, since Android is already well established and I think the look and feel is differentiated enough, especially in the public's perception.

I agree with many of the posters here, though: I'm tired of hearing about it..
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:06 PM   #44
edinburghmac
macrumors newbie

No room for justice in British law

I'm absolutely not surprised by the courts behaviour here - the one thing you can't do is make a mockery of the justice system in the UK (even when it's totally justified). They have no interest in justice but will uphold the minutiae of law and precedent as if their lives depended on it, and anyone pulling back the curtain to reveal hypocrisy in the system will be severely punished - how dare they suggest the system makes mistakes.

When you look at the original ruling (by the judge who stated the Samsung tablet wasn't as cool as the iPad) there was clearly room for Apple to disagree with the ruling (he didn't want to curb their freedom of speech). Whoever wrote the original Apple statement however clearly didn't understand how seriously the UK courts take any 'contempt' (no matter how much the original ruling deserved it). I would say that whoever made this decision (whether hired lawyer or Apple management) will probably pay with their jobs for this miscalculation and the embarrassment that this now widely reported ruling has been given.
edinburghmac is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:06 PM   #45
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
The real issue here is that the Judge made on record comments that basically sound like he agrees personally that Samsung copied, but the legal tests that would allow him to declare a violation of the law were not met. Then when he made this order he wasn't precise in the rules and opened himself up to having those comments exposed, thus causing embarrassment.

So he screams that Apple knew what was intended etc. which is a bit ironic since it seems he recognized that Samsung 'intended' to copy Apple's product design but he test of specificity failed and in patents specifics trump 'intent'.
The real issue is that you also didn't read any of the rulings
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:06 PM   #46
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Anyone else tired of seeing that Samsung logo on this site?
gmanist1000 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:09 PM   #47
JayJayAbels
macrumors 6502

Apple should just comply... even go above and beyond what's required... and then... keep it moving. They should take the same approach they take with their products... exceed expectations and maintain a positive image throughout any and all ordeals.
JayJayAbels is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:09 PM   #48
cal6n
macrumors 68000

I love these threads. The haters and trolls can't resist gloating and blowing their cover.
cal6n is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:10 PM   #49
rei101
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle1729 View Post
Anyone else notice so much of the apple news lately is about these legal games and fighting with their partners, suppliers, competitors.

Apple has really lost their ability to focus on product and would rather get into school-yard squabbles than focus on their business

Apple 2012 = Microsoft 1998.
I have been complaining about the same thing here for the last 2 years.
rei101 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:11 PM   #50
rjohnstone
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Anyone else tired of seeing that Samsung logo on this site?
If you're tired of seeing it on the site, I suggest you don't open any of your Apple products.
It's in there too.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion