Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:12 PM   #51
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKeogh View Post
Well, that's what Apple gets for trying to be a wise-ass.
But will Apple learn?
PracticalMac is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:13 PM   #52
LordVic
macrumors 65816

With this order,
The HTC cross license deal...

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe, jUst maybe Cook and Cronies have gotten the picture that the public is getting sick of this.

I'm hoping that Apple lets the lawsuits take more of a backseat and starts actually spending more time inventing.

Apple did it's best when they were able to create new products to fill markets nobody thought could be filled. Not refreshing existing markets over and over again.

Apple is in a holding pattern and using lawsuits to try and slow everyone else down. What apple truly needs now is a "gotcha!" idea that nobody could resist. Like they had with the iphone and the ipad and the ipod
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:15 PM   #53
funkybudda
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
But will Apple learn?
probably not, but they will just keep getting WTF-PWNED over and over, which I enjoy every moment of, lol.
funkybudda is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:16 PM   #54
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BvizioN View Post
UK justice system is a joke beyond believe!!
Why? They took someone to court with the best lawyers money can buy and lost. This stops them taking innocent small companies to Court. What is a joke is all of the American suing for ridiculous money Eg. Suing mcdonalds for spilt coffee or suing apple when you walk into their glass windows.
nick_elt is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:18 PM   #55
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris7777 View Post
Talk about the Judge throwing a hissy fit.

I might be a little more sympathetic to samsung, If they had not exactly copied apple advertisements, and packaging. But that is just way too "coincidental" to be an accident.

Apple disagreed with the decision, and playfully pointed out the Judges own words. He took offense and pitched a tantrum, by ordering to pay Samsung, as punishment for mocking his short sighted decision.
Please show me where he threw a "tantrum" ?

Apple didn't "playfully" do anything. It was strategic. And it backfired. They hedged a bet and lost. They knew the first post wouldn't comply. They lied about how long it would take to correct it. Then they had fun with the javascript code.

The judge ordered a specific message to be posted. Apple didn't post that message exclusively. They added commentary and negating the purpose of the message in the first place.

You can love Apple and think what they did was funny. But I can't see how anyone would think what they did was in the spirit of what the court required. Unless you're just blind.

But do show us any evidence of a tantrum. I'm pretty sure he made a ruling and when it wasn't kept to the letter of the law, he responded in kind.

You just don't like the outcome. Maybe it's you that's posting a tantrum?
samcraig is online now   26 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:20 PM   #56
linuxophile
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxykhat View Post
I don't know... but if you're gonna lose I'll probably rather pay legal cost, that advertise for my competition.
Yes, but now they have done both this AND that!
linuxophile is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:22 PM   #57
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfacts View Post
Ipads and Iphones are BPA-free, enjoy your android device in your hospital bed
Well I have an ipad and I'm not going to store food or drinking water in my phone (which has already more features than my old iphone by the way) so I'm not sure why you think I'll be in a hospital bed from it.
nick_elt is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:26 PM   #58
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnstone View Post
If you're tired of seeing it on the site, I suggest you don't open any of your Apple products.
It's in there too.
Indeed. That alone will keep me away! :P
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:27 PM   #59
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
Well I have an ipad and I'm not going to store food or drinking water in my phone (which has already more features than my old iphone by the way) so I'm not sure why you think I'll be in a hospital bed from it.
Perhaps he's confused. The iPhone has 3x the radiation emission than the GS3 (for example)

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple...-S-III_id32498
samcraig is online now   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:41 PM   #60
BvizioN
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Why?This stops them taking innocent small companies to Court..
Innocent small companies like Samsung? Seriously, i love the "innocent" part
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:46 PM   #61
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
But will Apple learn?
Not likely !
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:52 PM   #62
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Innocent small companies like Samsung? Seriously, i love the "innocent" part
I wasn't meaning about Samsung they can obviously hire top lawyers. But Apple has taken innocent small companies in the past to Court. There was a small tablet maker in Spain that springs to mind. If you are taken to Court but then found not guilty why should you pay all your legal fees?
nick_elt is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:52 PM   #63
perealb
macrumors regular

What pisses me off is that Samsung can get away with blatant design copy. C'mon. Look at the Chromebook. It's almost like a joke - a bad one.
perealb is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:53 PM   #64
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by perealb View Post
What pisses me off is that Samsung can get away with blatant design copy. C'mon. Look at the Chromebook. It's almost like a joke - a bad one.
So don't buy one?
samcraig is online now   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:54 PM   #65
bbeagle
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Times are changing, macrumors used to be full of fanboys
MacRumors has been full of Android fanboys for since 2011. I think the MAJORITY are actually Android fanboys now.
bbeagle is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:55 PM   #66
Gasu E.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyb View Post
While the original statement was misleading, childish, etc, which part of it was "false"? I would have thought that factual accuracy would have been important for them to get right in their eyes, even if they were going to disobey the intention of the statement.
The judge was very specific in the ruling about which parts were false. Specifically, the reference to the status in the German courts was held to be untrue.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:57 PM   #67
Ochyandkaren
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Ochyandkaren
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post
MacRumors has been full of Android fanboys for since 2011. I think the MAJORITY are actually Android fanboys now.
Indeed, time for me to say bye.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:00 PM   #68
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by perealb View Post
Are you a shareholder? If not, why does it piss you off? ??
nick_elt is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:00 PM   #69
doboy
macrumors 65816

Apple should pay the fees in pennies.

Thank you Steve for
doboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:00 PM   #70
LowKeyed
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
I think this should happen anyway, if you lose a case you should foot the bills for both parties. Might stop some lawsuits dead in their tracks.
Yeah, that way only the insanely rich can ever risk a lawsuit. I think we let entirely to many poor people and small businesses pretend to be worthy of protection under the law. We should stop that ASAP.

Also, does anyone think that this staying in the news actually hurts Apple. It makes Apple look rebellious and disrespectful. Something they have had a problem doing since becoming more mainstream. I agree this makes them look childish and like a bunch of punks. I think it is well worth the money in fees and fines to push that image a little more.
I think Samsung wants it to end as much or more than anyone, the last thing they should want is anyone asking why Apple won't let it go. I think they would want as few people as possible to look into the case more. They may not have "legally" done anything wrong. But i'm sure a great many people will agree with the judge, they are "not as cool" even though they tried.

If Apple keeps it up they might even be able to fly that Jolly Roger again.
LowKeyed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:01 PM   #71
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazUK View Post
One of the more interesting aspects of this story is those that originally said Apple weren't stupid enough to go against the court's rule and what Apple originally wrote was in compliance with the court order.

It's about time this story was put to rest now though, Apple seem to have inadvertently (or not?) created a lot of press over something that didn't need as much attention as it has got.
You got me on half of that. I didn't think a multi-billion dollar company would continue to mess with the ruling after their legal options were exhausted. I was wrong.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:02 PM   #72
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojothemonkey View Post
In the UK yes, but not in the states. It's a good rule that I wish they'd implement here (in the US).
You and me both! I have heard of people -good people- being sued, spending their life savings defending themselves, and even when they win, they go bankrupt.

That's why it's good -if you have a small business- to put a term in all your contracts stating that in case of court dispute, the looser to pay all legal fees.
Tiger8 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:08 PM   #73
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The reality is that wherever Apple has sued on this registered design or its counterpart, it has ultimately failed.
Guys, stop saying it's about the "Not as cool" comment of the Judge. That's not what the UK judge took exception to in their initial statement. It's the fact they were claiming legal victories elsewhere, of which they have none. Not for the IP in question in the UK lawsuit.

There were never any infringement verdicts rendered against Samsung for the EU Community Design registration 607 or US Design Patent '889.

None. Nada. Apple claiming they had other victories elsewhere was misleading and preventing the statement from rectifying the confusion their comments had caused in the first place.

"Not as cool" doesn't even start to figure in here. Heck, the Judge might have never issued anything if they had simply stuck to that part and never added anything else about "other victories" they haven't had in the case of this particilar IP.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:14 PM   #74
tomjleeds
macrumors 6502

Quote:
UK justice system is a joke beyond believe!!
Hahahaha!

Your level of intelligence is a joke beyond belief!
tomjleeds is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:14 PM   #75
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Could we ever go a day where Samsung isn't mentioned on the front page of this site? These threads always end up in silly tard wars.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion