Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
What is everyone using? I browsed Newegg and Macsales and nothing really jumped out at me, they are all pretty ugly.

I definitely want Blu-Ray reading capability so I can convert my library to digital, but I don't know if I should get Blu-Ray writing capability as well. The only thing I think I would use the writing for would be hard copy backups. And I don't know if I can justify the increase in price.

MightyWhite

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012
Oxford UK
I have got a cheap and blinking ugly plextar bluray drive it only reads and does not write anything but was only £40.

It will only come out the drawer each time I buy a bluray.

I will get a Samsung DVD writer for, well, writing. But again it will live in a drawer till needed but the do look sleek and are about £30.

I did buy the bluray reader before I found out the new mac has no drive. Maybe I would have chose different... Probably the Samsung in the post above...

Last edited:

beatledud

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2006
What about USB 3.0? Lacie has one. Is there any real benefit? It appears write speeds can't increase from the 6x found in USB 2.0 due to the slim factor of the drives, but I'd think read speeds would increase.

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I didnt know osx supports blu-ray

OS X cannot natively support playback of commercial Blu-ray movie discs, but it does allow you to burn Blu-ray discs and I would guess can play consumer Blu-ray discs (that do not have the commercial Blu-ray DRM schema).

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I would say.....

LaCie makes decent Blu-ray drives and no too ugly :) But I know LiteOn, Pioneer and Sony also make good drives to read/burn/backup

:):apple:

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Just ordered this from amazon.

Asus 8X External Slim DVD+/-RW Drive SDRW-08D2S-U - Retail (Black)

cost is only $31 and reviews look good and it stands up so it wont take up too much toom.

mihai.ile

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2012
What about USB 3.0? Lacie has one. Is there any real benefit? It appears write speeds can't increase from the 6x found in USB 2.0 due to the slim factor of the drives, but I'd think read speeds would increase.

There is no benefit in having usb3 cd/dvd drive over usb2 in terms of speed. USB2 is faster than any CD/DVD drive so the only thing I can think of that will probably benefit from having certain usb3 cd/dvd drives is that usb3 supports doulbe the energy the usb2 does so it may be that you would not need 2 usb cables (or one usb other from outlet) connected to the drive, and one usb3 would be just enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.