Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:03 PM   #1
c23roo
macrumors regular

iPhoto '08 - missing photos

Woke up, clicked on iPhoto, and no pictures are present after August 2007.

Running iPhoto '08; Mac Pro 1,1; Snow Leopard.

Tried rebuilding the Library; tried using iPhoto Manager. Still only shows me pictures until 2007.

Did some hunting around and when I examine package contents of my iPhoto Library I found some interesting stuff. There are folders listed for the years 2001 through 2007 only - these contain the photos iPhoto is currently showing me. There are folders labeled 'Modified' and 'Originals' which contain folders through 2012 - and in here are my missing pictures.

When I open iPhoto (I have done so through clicking iPhoto, and also with option+iPhoto to select the correct library) I still get only until 2007. My numerous folders exist on the left hand side, and the newer folders have a (0) next to them, as if I've deleted the pictures. No pictures in iPhoto trash or anywhere other than in the iPhoto Library under 'Modified' and 'Originals.'

Now, I presume I can simply point to the files in the 'Original' folders and reimport them. I am loath to muck around in those folders, however.

Also, I really (really, really) want my folders back organized how I had them. It would be quite daunting to re-create all my folders from scratch again. I have all my photos in multiple backup locations (DVDs; hard drive in remote location) so I don't think I've lost the images themselves.

So any thoughts? I have been trying to get my wife to choose Aperture or Lightroom - as our library has become quite large. I don't think either of those programs will import from iPhoto in such a way as to re-create my folder structure (correct me if I'm wrong...).

Thanks for your help.

- c
c23roo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:27 PM   #2
dayleft
macrumors newbie

They speak rather highly of Lightroom in the Photography Tricks and Effects book I've been studying, some reviews on it:

http://majorityreviews.com/articles-trickphotography

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography