Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:55 PM   #1
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Former employer says Apple made a mistake firing Scott Forstsall

His reasons are: Forstall was a jerk like Steve, but got stuff done. And that you never would have heard Steve use a word like collaboration. Those don't seem like very solid reasons. Steve got away with being a jerk because he was Steve Jobs. Scott Forstall is no Steve Jobs. And since when is collaboration a bad thing? What's wrong with hardware, software and services working together for the common good?

http://www.businessinsider.com/ex-em...istake-2012-11
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Oh and another thing. If Scott Forstall was really the heir to Steve, why did Steve pick Tim Cook to replace him as CEO? And why did he tell Walter Isaacson that Jony Ive was his spiritual partner at Apple, and that Ive had mor operational power at Apple than anyone else but him? Also if iPhone was Forstall's baby how come Steve made the first phone call (and first FaceTime call) to Ive and not Forstall?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:17 PM   #3
sigamy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Oh and another thing. If Scott Forstall was really the heir to Steve, why did Steve pick Tim Cook to replace him as CEO? And why did he tell Walter Isaacson that Jony Ive was his spiritual partner at Apple, and that Ive had mor operational power at Apple than anyone else but him? Also if iPhone was Forstall's baby how come Steve made the first phone call (and first FaceTime call) to Ive and not Forstall?
I think the press picked up on the Forstall-as-CEO bits, but I wonder how many at Apple were seriously thinking that way.

As for the Ive vs Forstall questions, as much as Steve liked/valued well designed software, it's clear to me that Jobs was always, a hardware guy. Steve would demo software and give his "boom" and "butter" comments but he drooled over hardware like the iMac, Cube, iPhone and MacBooks. Jobs even designed the stairs in stores and the 5th Ave store cube. if Jobs only had one extra life vest, it's going to Ive no doubt.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:20 PM   #4
Ice-Cube
macrumors 6502a

I think the problem is that others might have expressed interests to leave cos of him and if you were Tim, you probably would fire him to save the rest.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion