Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For the first time, shipping estimates for new orders of the iPhone 5 placed through Apple's online store have improved, suggesting that Apple and Foxconn may now be getting a handle on production issues and making progress toward meeting demand for the popular device.

Shipping estimates which had been at 3-4 weeks since just a few days after pre-orders went live nearly two months ago, have now improved to 2-3 weeks. The new shipping estimates appear to be in effect for most of Apple's online stores around the world where the iPhone 5 is sold online.

iphone_5_estimate_2_3_weeks.jpg
In comparison, the iPhone 4S took roughly three months to begin coming down from its peak of 1-2 week shipping estimates, reaching supply-demand balance approximately three and a half months after the device launched. But with the iPhone 5 experiencing lengthier shipping estimates and Apple aggressively rolling out the device to over 100 countries by the end of the year, shortages may yet persist for some time.

Article Link: Shipping Estimates for New iPhone 5 Orders Begin to Improve

mwxiao

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
CT
Check cellular carrier website. Verizon and Sprint both have one-week delay, and AT&T actually dropped any backorder delay.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
And I'm sure Wall Street will use this as another reason to punish the stock somehow. Supply finally catching up with demand! Nobody wants iPhones anymore! Sell sell sell!!!

:rolleyes:

I almost hate reading Apple news anymore. Even the best news gets turned into a crisis or a "gate".

Junkyman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Seriously: After 2 months of constantly getting told that "Sorry, we don't have any iPhones currently in stock" in the Apple Store, they can take their iPhone 5 and shove it up their a**. Not feeling the desire to buy one anymore.

I'll be waiting for the 5S now. :cool:

vbtwo31984

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Seriously: After 2 months of constantly getting told that "Sorry, we don't have any iPhones currently in stock" in the Apple Store, they can take their iPhone 5 and shove it up their a**. Not feeling the desire to buy one anymore.

Don't worry, when the 5S come out, you'll have 2 months of constantly getting told that "Sorry, we don't have any iPhones currently in stock" in the Apple Store.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Sold my iPhone 5 16gb white AT&T on Craigslist for $900. I'll be waiting for Apple Unlocked 5 and rebuy with a profit.

Junkyman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Don't worry, when the 5S come out, you'll have 2 months of constantly getting told that "Sorry, we don't have any iPhones currently in stock" in the Apple Store.

I'm counting on it. Best way of keeping me from buying something that I don't really need. :D

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
i want iphone 5s, not this

iphone 5 is already old.. bring in the iPhone 5S and/or the 6

I know, I got my iPhone 5 a month ago and it was old back then.

A generation with an attention span measured in nano seconds. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
i want iphone 5s, not this

The iPad 4 has spoiled some of you. I would not count on an iPhone 5s before March, but maybe they will not wait until Sept/Oct 2013...

My preorder of the iPhone 5 still states "Available to ship: 3 - 4 Weeks" when I check the status, hopefully that gets adjusted soon.

lairdo

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2008
If you do want an iPhone 5 (apparently very few people on this thread), I also recommend checking with your carrier. My upgrade date just came up, and I was able to order a 64G one from AT&T last Wednesday and have it arrive last Friday. I did not pay for expedited shipping but I am on a business account which might explain that speed.

Normally, I buy from Apple, but I did not see a reason to do so just to wait a few weeks.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
You're all full of it. I'm waiting for the iPhone 8 with it's Translucent Liquid Metal Chassis weighing in at 1oz. :apple:

The iPhone 8 is rumored to transmogrify into a holographic personal assistant in the form of Steve Jobs. And if it doesn't, watch for AAPL share prices to plummet.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Not being Pro or Con on this, one can find a 5 at their local store with some effort. The stores receive 5's just about every day. Now I can only speak for the information from my local Brick and Mortar. My wife was up for a new phone.

So, I did the 10p-4a thing. Now the first time they had phones just not in our 32g. The second time they had our carrier in 32g but only black. On the 5th try (over a 8 day period) I hit nothing at all till I quit at 10:45p.

So I watched the 11p News. On my way to bed I decided to try one quick time. It was 11:38p. Bingo, White at&t 32g in stock. Purchased and picked up the next day.

Also, while she was picking up the 5 I noticed another person come in looking for a 64g Verizon. They had it in stock.

Waiting another month, or ordering online with a wait would have been less time consuming. But you can find phones local if your persistent.

Just be prepared for a HEAVY push toward accessories while you pick up in the store. It's part of the deal. A well placed Straight Arm usually works. ;)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'm not too surprised. I've checked at 10:00pm online and in general have been able to find stores with stock (albeit not much).

Whoever came out with this silly "iPhone 5S in Q1-13" story will probably take "credit" for this.

BMNB1tch

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
of course they are

everyone is holding out for a 5S now

no one wants an old, chipped 5

let me guess the new iPad 4 will be thinner too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.