Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powpow

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2004
I'm looking for an external hard drive, any recommendations??

Here's what I want:

• Quiet! (Since it will be housing my iTunes library and often running while music is playing)
• 250 Gigs
• Firewire preferred
• Reliable (Obvious), something I can run every day for a few hours
• Doesn't get too hot

Thanks!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I'm looking for a good external hard drive myself. Have been wondering if the ones with fans are better. My current one that died didn't. Left it on 24/7.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
Yeh, Lacie make good, solid drives.

I brought the "Design by F A Porsche" model a few months back which was very inexpensive and offered the solution that I want. It's left on 24/7 and it does the job for music editing and composing.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I like the older LaCie d2 designs (160GB and lower). They were excellent drives. However, I read a lot of complaints about the heat/loudness of the fans in the larger drives, 200GB and up.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
My friend who is a new Mac user thanks to me ;) bought a LaCie 160GB drive and sent it back (bad power conector). He then bought the Porsche 250 model and couldn't be happier and it's very quiet. My worry is getting one without the fan but it's only for backup so it just may not matter that much :rolleyes:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
powpow said:
• Quiet!
I would go with a Seagate Barracuda. Very high quality, long warranty and, most important, has been the most quiet HDs for a long time, now, you can barely hear them "whisper".

Seagate has some very nice Firewire/USB2 combo drives in sizes from 80-500 GB, like the affordable 200 GB or the much larger 400 GB.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Seagate barracuda's are nice and quiet although they do make a seeking noise every few minutes, i thought this was a fault but called up seagate and they told me that it is normal and is the sound it makes when checking for errors and it will do this throughout the day when the HD is inactive...

Anyway i have a 200gb barracuda in my eMac and its been great so far i have had it running long hours everyday for about 4-5 months...Reccomended,

ShadOW

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I would go with a Seagate Barracuda. Very high quality, long warranty and, most important, has been the most quiet HDs for a long time, now, you can barely hear them "whisper".

Seagate has some very nice Firewire/USB2 combo drives in sizes from 80-500 GB, like the affordable 200 GB or the much larger 400 GB.

Looks very nice, have some questions. At least I wasn't able to find the answers. What is the case constructed of and is it durable? Does if have a fan? How long is the warranty?

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Check out the western digital dual option backup, has firewire and USB 2.0 as well as one touch and scheduled backups

gMac

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2003
Charleston, SC
I've had my Maxtor OneTouch II for about three months now and am very happy with it. This is my first external HD, so I don't have any basis for comparison, but it seems fairly quiet. It's definitely not SILENT though so maybe I'm less sound-sensitive than others.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
wdlove said:
Looks very nice, have some questions. At least I wasn't able to find the answers. What is the case constructed of and is it durable? Does if have a fan? How long is the warranty?
It looked like the case on the 400 GB I had at loan a couple of weeks ago had a fan, but we actually never heard it, even when backing up a nearly full 40 GB HD off a laptop.

I have no idea if the case was made from some composite material or a light alloy, but it felt quite durable and "heavy" (i.e. not "plastic light", but don't get me wrong: it didn't weigh that much).

The warranty is a question, though, because when I browsed a bit around it looks like Seagate have a 5 year warranty on all internal disks, but not the externals (which seems to be normal in the industry). You better ask this question to whatever retailer you buy the disk from. (Or you could get an "internal" disk and put it into a 3rd party Firewire/USB2 case, yourself, that way you should get 5 years.)

mpsullmann

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2005
LaCie d2 and Porsche Drive

I have a LaCie d2 drive (250GB) since 6 month to back-up my digital pictures, it is not running 24/7 but I have it always switched on with the G5 so it is running fairly a lot.

It runs really quitely, the G5 (latest build, D2.0 GHz) is what I hear not the d2 drive. The speed is phenomenal - connected by the FW800 and my picture transfer so quick. I use a D100 and save uncompressed RAW files, so each is 10MB in size and when working the typical amount of pictures I move around are a couple of GBs. For this it is perfect and I am sure MP3s will work as good.

I have as well a small LaCie Porsche Drive (USB and FW) with 40 GB to carry with me. It is convenient, small, looks good and for the purpose fast enough but not as sturdy as the d2 (was a bit disappointed by the plastic housing). Something more solid and offering more HD space is definitely the d2 drive (I think not all d2s have the FW800 bus, for me this would be a must).

Martin

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
gMac said:
I've had my Maxtor OneTouch II for about three months now and am very happy with it. This is my first external HD, so I don't have any basis for comparison, but it seems fairly quiet. It's definitely not SILENT though so maybe I'm less sound-sensitive than others.

The noise doesn't bother me, I'm used to the constant hum of my Power Mac G4. Just something that I one learns to ignore.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
I also have a Maxtor OneTouch II. I just bought it Sunday, it was on special at Frys for only $270 (its a 300GB 16MB Cache drive with Firewire and USB 2.0). Only complaint I have is that when I have both my LaCie DVD-Recorder and the disk plugged in at the same time, its alot slower than if I just had one of them plugged in. But I can live with that!

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Mitthrawnuruodo
Quote:
Originally Posted by powpow
• Quiet!

Mitthrawnuruodo, that's an awesome price for that drive 200 GB as it's $210 US but I'm sure just a bit cheaper if I did a search but not much.
The only thing that has made me wait on getting a drive is the software (for backup purpose), as well as in putting one together (internal drive/external case) but if it doesn't really matter then I've seen some great deals around ;)

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
mpsullmann said:
I have a LaCie d2 drive (250GB) since 6 month to back-up my digital pictures, it is not running 24/7 but I have it always switched on with the G5 so it is running fairly a lot.

It runs really quitely, the G5 (latest build, D2.0 GHz) is what I hear not the d2 drive. The speed is phenomenal - connected by the FW800 and my picture transfer so quick. I use a D100 and save uncompressed RAW files, so each is 10MB in size and when working the typical amount of pictures I move around are a couple of GBs. For this it is perfect and I am sure MP3s will work as good.

I have as well a small LaCie Porsche Drive (USB and FW) with 40 GB to carry with me. It is convenient, small, looks good and for the purpose fast enough but not as sturdy as the d2 (was a bit disappointed by the plastic housing). Something more solid and offering more HD space is definitely the d2 drive (I think not all d2s have the FW800 bus, for me this would be a must).

Martin

I too have the LaCie D2 500gb drive and it rocks. I move ~1000 digital photo files from my D2h/D100 around per week, and it's quiet, realible, and fast. I sometimes forget that it's an external.

I do connect it with FW800, FWIW

alexeismertin

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2005
Bristol, UK
Maxtor One Touch II Triple interface

Hi

Just got the Maxtor OneTouch II 300GB drive (16mb cache version), it has Firewire 400/800 USB 2.0 & I am using it for exactly the same function as you want!

It has a single button backup system which I have configured to backup the itunes library, it is sooo quiet its not true - I think it is much quieter than the LaCie that friend has. Additionally I have used it all day & it it is cool to the touch.

Oh and you get Retrospect Express bundled in (as well as all the Firewire400/800/USB 2.0 cables, International power adaptor with 2 pin & UK 3 pin cables & 2 year warranty)

There is nothing bad to say about this drive

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
alexeismertin said:
Hi

Just got the Maxtor OneTouch II 300GB drive (16mb cache version), it has Firewire 400/800 USB 2.0 & I am using it for exactly the same function as you want!

It has a single button backup system which I have configured to backup the itunes library, it is sooo quiet its not true - I think it is much quieter than the LaCie that friend has. Additionally I have used it all day & it it is cool to the touch.

Oh and you get Retrospect Express bundled in (as well as all the Firewire400/800/USB 2.0 cables, International power adaptor with 2 pin & UK 3 pin cables & 2 year warranty)

There is nothing bad to say about this drive

My only concern re: maxtor is that I've had an 80gb Maxtor SATA in my G5 fail, and i've had 2 120 gb Maxtor drives in external cases fail. Dead.

My experience has been that WD drives are a bit more reliable. That said, I don't know what brand drive is used inside of my LaCie...

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I've got three LaCie d2 drives and a LaCie burner in a rack at home, on 24/7. The drives range in age from ~3 years to ~6 months. Never had a problem with any of them (sized 120GB to 250GB). They seem very quiet to me, and I like the design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.