Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...ings-gapless-playback-instant-mixes-and-more/

Google just released an update for Play Music that brings a number of small, but desired features to the application. The biggest of the bunch is probably gapless playback support, a must-have for the more audio-conscious among us. Other than that, this new version also adds the ability to keep thumbs up, last added, and free/purchased music locally on the device, automatic playlist creation based on your favorite tracks, and other improvements.
What's in this version:
v4.4.811H
* Added ability to keep Thumbs Up, Last Added, and Free and Purchased playlists on device.
* Auto-generated Instant Mixes on Recent tab based on your favorite songs.
* Gapless playback support.
* Improvements for keeping music on your device for offline playback.

One of the last things that bugged me about Google Music, Gapless playback has been sorted.

Good timing considering the European Google Music release tomorrow (even tough I'm already using it already).

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Glad to see I can still update it even though I installed the apk manually. As far as I know Ireland isn't on the list so that won't be changing tomorrow.

What is gapless playback exactly?

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Glad to see I can still update it even though I installed the apk manually. As far as I know Ireland isn't on the list so that won't be changing tomorrow.

It's exactly that; no gaps between songs.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Finally!

I have too many albums that suffer from that millisecond of nothing in between tracks. Laugh all you want, but it does ruin the listening experience, especially when the fade starts just a few seconds before the next track starts.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012

Usually most common i would say on dance music albums where one song merges into another.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Usually most common i would say on dance music albums where one song merges into another.

I don't know this "Dance Music" of which you young whipper-snappers speak, but albums like "The Dark Side of the Moon", "Oxygene" and "The War of the Worlds" (and if you haven't heard of at least one of those GET OFF MY LAWN!!!) really need gapless playback.

iTunes handles it well - the only Android player I've found so far that does it is WinAmp.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
I downloaded the Google Music Manager this morning but it refused to launch. Might have to have another go later.

Is there a way to stream to Airport Express with Google Music?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
The lack of Google Music here was one of the main reasons I got rid of my S3.

Too little too late Google :p I'll give it a year or two and see where Android is then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.