Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
I bought my iPhone 5 last Monday. Everything was OK until yesterday when I updated to 6.0.1. Since then, I lose my wifi connection everytime I put my phone to sleep.

I've researched the issue on the web and have gotten a couple of tips but they haven't seemed to work. I've reset the network settings and restored the phone in iTunes trying to see if that would help and it hasn't.

I'm curious if this is a widespread issue or if I should just go the Apple Store to try and get a replacement phone. Any responses or tips would be appreciated.

albertxp06

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
California
You're not the only one. My WiFi speeds are great on Speedtest, but in any other app, it's slow as hell. Reset and restore did nothing.

My does drop connection was well every once in a while when I'm watching a video. It switches to LTE so seamlessly that I ended up using a good chunk of my data plan before I noticed.

Last edited:

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I bought my iPhone 5 last Monday. Everything was OK until yesterday when I updated to 6.0.1. Since then, I lose my wifi connection everytime I put my phone to sleep.

I've researched the issue on the web and have gotten a couple of tips but they haven't seemed to work. I've reset the network settings and restored the phone in iTunes trying to see if that would help and it hasn't.

I'm curious if this is a widespread issue or if I should just go the Apple Store to try and get a replacement phone. Any responses or tips would be appreciated.

When you wake your phone, does it re connect? If it does, that is normal. Wifi drops off when your phone goes to sleep.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
When you wake your phone, does it re connect? If it does, that is normal. Wifi drops off when your phone goes to sleep.

After the phone goes to sleep, when I wake it up the phone is now on Edge(I'm with T-Mobile). I then have to enter my wifi password again to get it running.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
After the phone goes to sleep, when I wake it up the phone is now on Edge(I'm with T-Mobile). I then have to enter my wifi password again to get it running.

Have you tried restoring as new and not from a backup? It's a pain, but Apple is likely to tell you to try that before bringing it back.

Generik777

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2010
Mine still sucks after the update. Ended up getting a replacment sent to me. Hopefully it works better.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012

Just wondering.. Why did they make it like that? Battery life? I mean wouldn't cell data use as much battery?

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Have you tried restoring as new and not from a backup? It's a pain, but Apple is likely to tell you to try that before bringing it back.

Yep, did that as well. A few hours ago.

Now my phone is suddenly keeping a wifi signal after waking it up from sleeping. Hope it lasts.

P.S. I spoke too soon. I'm losing the wifi signal again after putting the phone to sleep. My battery life has dropped a good bit since the update as well. I used to get fantastic battery life, now I lose about 3 percent per hour in standby mode.

Should I call Apple support and try and get their help or should I just go to the Apple Store? I have one about 15 minutes away.

Last edited:

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Yep, did that as well. A few hours ago.

Now my phone is suddenly keeping a wifi signal after waking it up from sleeping. Hope it lasts.

P.S. I spoke too soon. I'm losing the wifi signal again after putting the phone to sleep. My battery life has dropped a good bit since the update as well. I used to get fantastic battery life, now I lose about 3 percent per hour in standby mode.

Should I call Apple support and try and get their help or should I just go to the Apple Store? I have one about 15 minutes away.

You need to make a genius appointment, so give them a call.

Luq1279

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
Yeah i have a 64gb iphone5 i have the same wifi problem even after the update (6.01) i dunnoe what to do because i had ordered it from dubai and i stay in india ! Anyone noe how can i get it replaced from here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.