Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dupsta

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
Can someone point me in the right direction.

I am looking into having a hotkey or a script that I can hit so I don't have to type my user name out or certain sentences I use alot. Basically store a go to phrase I don't have to type out. A hotkey maybe a function key that with one push just fills it in. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluemeanie1976

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
In settings > General > Keyboard, you can add text shortcuts. I use it for email addresses, forum code, etc. works a treat. For example, when I type 'me.com' it automatically puts in my me.com email address in full. When I type 'img' it gives me
for forum use, and so on.

Hope this helps.

dupsta

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
nothing happens for me when I follow those instructions.

Can you be more detailed in how I can hit a shortcut key and my email fills in for me in any application?

Thank you.

Soundflunky

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2012
In the default example that comes preset on the phone, the OS will replace "omw" with "On my way!" everytime you type it anywhere on the phone. You can either edit this example, or create your own one next to it so that when you type some chosen set of letters, they'll expand into a larger phrase like your email address.

For example, you could set dup to change to dupsta or dupem to change to dupsta@email.com

Attachments

• cNDRW.png
    cNDRW.png
    39 KB · Views: 61

dupsta

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
Gentlemen,
I original posted this in the OSX forum and it got moved to this iphone forum?

I hope this is resolved as this is a question for OSX on a macPro not an iphone.

Thank you for your time

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
Gentlemen,

I hope this is resolved as this is a question for OSX on a macPro not an iphone.

Thank you for your time

I notified the moderator so they will move it to the correct forum.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your time

I moved your thread to the Mac Basics and Help forum and also updated your thread title to be more specific. In the future, try to be specific in your thread titles which will help others in aiding you. :)

Nov 28, 2010
located
Maybe the following text expanding / text macro applications* can help:

Such applications are text replacement utilities to insert blocks of text into other applications by simply typing a few user defined keystrokes. Anytime a user defined keystroke combination is typed, it is substituted with the replacement text.
Example: you type "email1" and that text expands to "thisismyemailaddress@hotmail.xxx".
It might not work with passwords though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.