Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:06 PM   #1
shinji
macrumors 6502a

Internal SSD install without removing fan?

I was watching this guide (not ifixit or owc, random guy doing it) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBongunj4pc for installing an SSD into a Mac Mini server.

In the comments, someone said they didn't remove the fan when doing this install. Why do all the guides have you do that, just because it's easier to wiggle in the SSD without that?

If you don't have to deal with the fan connector, which is apparently fragile and easy to damage, this seems like a very easy install.
shinji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:14 PM   #2
mystikjoe
macrumors regular

I have done install and if you take your time connector isn't that hard to pull out. good luck!
mystikjoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:16 PM   #3
shinji
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystikjoe View Post
I have done install and if you take your time connector isn't that hard to pull out. good luck!
That's the thing...I've built PC's before, but there are a lot of posts about the fan connector getting damaged, so I've become paranoid about that.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:22 PM   #4
philipma1957
macrumors 603

it is possible to do if you are swapping it for the oem.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:24 AM   #5
shinji
macrumors 6502a

So I picked up a Mac Mini server earlier and replaced one of the drives with a Samsung 830 without removing the fan connector, nor the antenna connector, nor having to slide out the logic board. Everything's working great.

In case anyone else wants to do it this way, I followed the guide I linked to earlier and just unscrewed the fan and antenna plate, but never removed their connectors from the logic board. I did remove the cowling on the side. The only difficult part was making sure the screws on the hard drive lined up with the two slots in the back. I found sliding the drive partially in at an angle, and then pushing the front of the drive down with my thumbs helped to align it properly.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:49 AM   #6
milkmandan
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinji View Post
So I picked up a Mac Mini server earlier and replaced one of the drives with a Samsung 830 without removing the fan connector, nor the antenna connector, nor having to slide out the logic board. Everything's working great.

In case anyone else wants to do it this way, I followed the guide I linked to earlier and just unscrewed the fan and antenna plate, but never removed their connectors from the logic board. I did remove the cowling on the side. The only difficult part was making sure the screws on the hard drive lined up with the two slots in the back. I found sliding the drive partially in at an angle, and then pushing the front of the drive down with my thumbs helped to align it properly.
Keep in mind that your process is only possible on the Mac Mini 2012 Server model, as it already comes with 2 x 1TB HDDs (or any other pre-built model with dual HDDs). If you get just the normal 2.3Ghz or Dual Core model, you are required to slide the logic board out completely, etc.
milkmandan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini