Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasonbaum

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Arlington VA
I just read the article linked below in summary it discusses the number of mainstream apps that have yet to update to leverage the 5's screen.

The speculation on why it isn't happening is interesting...fear that the apps will lose popularity because the rating system defaults to the latest version...laziness... Bottom line, even if not Apple's fault still Apple's problem.

Is this another bad omen for the gang in Cupertino?

The article from Ars Technica

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I just read the article linked below in summary it discusses the number of mainstream apps that have yet to update to leverage the 5's screen.

The speculation on why it isn't happening is interesting...fear that the apps will lose popularity because the rating system defaults to the latest version...laziness... Bottom line, even if not Apple's fault still Apple's problem.

Because the developers are too lazy to update or are still waiting in line for apple to approve it/working on it. Angry Birds Space and Seasons were updated for the 5.

jasonbaum

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Arlington VA
Because the developers are too lazy to update or are still waiting in line for apple to approve it/working on it. Angry Birds Space and Seasons were updated for the 5.

In the article they specifically say the approval cycle is a week or less. Not defending Apple. I have no idea if that's true or not.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I have no idea why but I know I'm getting annoyed with ESPN. I was excited to be able to use the Watch ESPN app in widescreen but no updates yet. Even great clips updated their app for the 5 but ESPN hasn't. That seems really strange. I guess I will just have to keep waiting. This is the exact reason I think Apple will keep the 4 inch screen for several Generations.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA

Yes it is.

Once Apple products were clearly superior by a wide margin. Currently the trend is not looking so good. The default rant from the Apple devotees is to pound the dead horse refrain that goes something like this, "look at the staggering sales" or some such chant regarding Apple's obscene profits.

Yet massive profits prove nothing other than the world class marketing machine that is Apple Inc. Plenty of people are ruining their health eating fried fast food, yet the sales volume is staggering.

At the end of the day, there's never been so many users, enthusiasts, and regular customers that are now complaining & questioning Apple.

The highly visible legal assaults launched by Apple, the bully tactics, the burning desire to have competitive products banned, instead of just competing in the open market is very revealing.

Apple has changed in a way that is not necessarily in their best long term interest. Time will tell...

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Yes it is.

Once Apple products were clearly superior by a wide margin. Currently the trend is not looking so good. The default rant from the Apple devotees is to pound the dead horse refrain that goes something like this, "look at the staggering sales" or some such chant regarding Apple's obscene profits.

Yet massive profits prove nothing other than the world class marketing machine that is Apple Inc. Plenty of people are ruining their health eating fried fast food, yet the sales volume is staggering.

At the end of the day, there's never been so many users, enthusiasts, and regular customers that are now complaining & questioning Apple.

The highly visible legal assaults launched by Apple, the bully tactics, the burning desire to have competitive products banned, instead of just competing in the open market is very revealing.

Apple has changed in a way that is not necessarily in their best long term interest. Time will tell...

We can all complain but apple is still one of the most profitable countries in the world and we will still all buy the next iPhone or the one after that. Like you can complain about the high prices of gas and you'll still get it.

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
There are a number of apps I have been waiting for for quite a while, and I am getting a little impatient now. No update from US Bank? No update yet from Alarm.com (Frontpoint)? Trivial Technologies' Cribbage? Is it too much work, or do they think that the smaller screen format is good enough? Every day I check for updates and every day I am disappointed.

jasonbaum

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Arlington VA
Yes it is.

Unfortunately I agree with you. I had posed a question to an accessory thread regarding Apple's decision not to make a dock for the 5. I suggested that tiny little decisions like that can be a bellwether to a culture change.

I was appalled at the response of one person who basically went ballistic on me telling me I was "polluting" the dock discussion. (A moderator eventually cleaned up the mess but not before making me think twice about the nature of fanboys.)

There are so many intangibles that make up a relationship between a brand and end-users. SJ seemed to have an innate understanding of that fact and making, for the most part, brilliant decisions to strengthen that relationship. And now...barely a year after his passing and the ship that is Apple seems to be struggling in ways it has never struggled before...at least publicly.

The Forstall departure, despite all the hoorays over the death of skeuomorphism is a helluva lot more troubling than not if you actually look at his contributions. Yeah Siri and Maps were crash and burns and yeah, maybe it was time for a change. That doesn't change the fact that Mr. Cook seems to be having a very tough time doing what SJ made look easy.

Anyway, enough from me. I don't think the end is near but to paraphrase Yogi Berra, the future sure ain't what it used to be.

as0016

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
We can all complain but apple is still one of the most profitable countries in the world and we will still all buy the next iPhone or the one after that. Like you can complain about the high prices of gas and you'll still get it.

Except gas is fairly demand inelastic (in some respects - sure people cut down on frivolous things they do with their free time to save), but in a lot of places, you really don't have a choice. I live on SoCal, public transit is awful - it's a joke. I really have no choice but to pay the price of gas, regardless of what it is. On the other hand, you have competitors for the iPhone. I agree, people still keep buying them, but as an above poster said, the profitability is thanks to margins per unit and the marketing machine that is Apple. Eventually, that may not be enough to propel sales if the competitors begin to really outpace the innovation at apple.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Except gas is fairly demand inelastic (in some respects - sure people cut down on frivolous things they do with their free time to save), but in a lot of places, you really don't have a choice. I live on SoCal, public transit is awful - it's a joke. I really have no choice but to pay the price of gas, regardless of what it is. On the other hand, you have competitors for the iPhone. I agree, people still keep buying them, but as an above poster said, the profitability is thanks to margins per unit and the marketing machine that is Apple. Eventually, that may not be enough to propel sales if the competitors begin to really outpace the innovation at apple.

And gas companies make an insane profit off it just like Apple. People aren't going to do anything about it, we're just gonna sit here and **** and moan about sticking it to the man but still get Apple products and give them money.

jasonbaum

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Arlington VA
On the other hand, you have competitors for the iPhone. I agree, people still keep buying them, but as an above poster said, the profitability is thanks to margins per unit and the marketing machine that is Apple. Eventually, that may not be enough to propel sales if the competitors being to really outpace the innovation.

That sounds exactly right. I tried a switch to Android a while ago (pre-Jelly Bean?) and after a few days I remembered why I loved my 4.

I liken the Android stratosphere somewhat similar to jailbreaking. There are a ton of cool apps out there and UI customization opportunities but you never know which one is going to completely crash your system. And eventually, at least with jailbreaking, one app will.

And, more quantifiably, Android security seems incredibly bad compared to IOS.

For now.

as0016

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
And gas companies make an insane profit off it just like Apple. People aren't going to do anything about it, we're just gonna sit here and **** and moan about sticking it to the man but still get Apple products and give them money.

Again we're comparing a price inelastic good to a tech product. People piss and moan about gas prices, but again you can't really do anything about it. I'm not convinced that if Apple really began to get outpaced (or consistently put out products with issues that annoy the dedicated fanbase) that people wouldn't leave. However, I do think things like the black aluminum chipping etc. don't bother the biggest chunk of the iPhone purchaser base (not the fanbois that would defend apple to their death that are sometimes the loudest voices on here, but the average 13+ year old teenager who still thinks the iphone is a status symbol up through the relatively young adult - [40 some odd percent of iphone users according to stats are under 34] most of them probably dont care about the tiny issues).

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Companies (publishers) spend thousands of dollars manipulating Apple's App Store rating process. If they resubmit an app (especially a popular one) that doesn't involve any changes besides resolution (like most would), they don't get to keep the rating they have, and very few people are going to re-review the app just because it went to a higher res. for the 5.

Some don't mind, but most of em do. It will start to happen when they start to slip out of relevance or sales decline to a point where they think they've gotten their monies worth.

There are literally companies out there that just buy and review your app over and over as a business. You list it as a "sale" for a day, get into the top 100/50/25, then jack the price and ride the wave of people biting on all of the "reviews" and 5 star ratings.

It's a fascinating manipulation process, and one that big publishers spend a lot of money on (hence not wanting to throw it all away just to make it fit better on your screen).:D

jasonbaum

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Arlington VA
Companies (publishers) spend thousands of dollars manipulating Apple's App Store rating process. If they resubmit an app (especially a popular one) that doesn't involve any changes besides resolution (like most would), they don't get to keep the rating they have, and very few people are going to re-review the app just because it went to a higher res. for the 5.

Some don't mind, but most of em do. It will start to happen when they start to slip out of relevance or sales decline to a point where they think they've gotten their monies worth.

There are literally companies out there that just buy and review your app over and over as a business. You list it as a "sale" for a day, get into the top 100/50/25, then jack the price and ride the wave of people biting on all of the "reviews" and 5 star ratings.

It's a fascinating manipulation process, and one that big publishers spend a lot of money on (hence not wanting to throw it all away just to make it fit better on your screen).:D

I can see that logic affecting smaller players who have achieved momentum and don't want to lose it (regardless of if they "bought it" or it is legitimate.)

It is the mainstream old school apps...the ESPNs, the Zites of the world that I don't get.:confused:

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Again we're comparing a price inelastic good to a tech product. People piss and moan about gas prices, but again you can't really do anything about it. I'm not convinced that if Apple really began to get outpaced (or consistently put out products with issues that annoy the dedicated fanbase) that people wouldn't leave. However, I do think things like the black aluminum chipping etc. don't bother the biggest chunk of the iPhone purchaser base (not the fanbois that would defend apple to their death that are sometimes the loudest voices on here, but the average 13+ year old teenager who still thinks the iphone is a status symbol up through the relatively young adult - [40 some odd percent of iphone users according to stats are under 34] most of them probably dont care about the tiny issues).

Well if people really wanted to do something about it they would use alternate fuel sources, nothing is tying them to using gas to power their car it's just more popular and commercially available, just like Apple products.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I can see that logic affecting smaller players who have achieved momentum and don't want to lose it (regardless of if they "bought it" or it is legitimate.)

It is the mainstream old school apps...the ESPNs, the Zites of the world that I don't get.:confused:

Ahhh, but the mainstream players are the ones who spent the most $$$ to get the placement they have. Unless they are adding a feature to their app, by resetting the count of reviews/stars to zero they risk losing everything they have invested. All to get a resolution bump out to i5 owners.

Apple should change the ratings system to a "rated as (blank) since update" and maintain an overall rating for every app. That way you could still tell if they ruined an app (like ESPN forcing you to buy it twice), and still be able to see an overall rating/reviews from the beginning.

It'll never happen, but I bet if it did we would have updates to 99% of the unupdated apps in a month or less.

jasonbaum

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Arlington VA
Ahhh, but the mainstream players are the ones who spent the most $$$ to get the placement they have. Unless they are adding a feature to their app, by resetting the count of reviews/stars to zero they risk losing everything they have invested. All to get a resolution bump out to i5 owners.

Apple should change the ratings system to a "rated as (blank) since update" and maintain an overall rating for every app. That way you could still tell if they ruined an app (like ESPN forcing you to buy it twice), and still be able to see an overall rating/reviews from the beginning.

It'll never happen, but I bet if it did we would have updates to 99% of the unupdated apps in a month or less.

Why would it "never happen"? The fact that apps aren't being updated for the flagship product has to be setting off some flags somewhere in Cupertino I would think. Ultimately, I would think that someone somewhere would recognize that their lauded ecosystem is starting to show stress fractures.

I am not trying to sound snarky...I'm not particularly well-versed on this so I'm asking in sincerity.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Unfortunately I agree with you. I had posed a question to an accessory thread regarding Apple's decision not to make a dock for the 5. I suggested that tiny little decisions like that can be a bellwether to a culture change.

I was appalled at the response of one person who basically went ballistic on me telling me I was "polluting" the dock discussion. (A moderator eventually cleaned up the mess but not before making me think twice about the nature of fanboys.)

There are so many intangibles that make up a relationship between a brand and end-users. SJ seemed to have an innate understanding of that fact and making, for the most part, brilliant decisions to strengthen that relationship. And now...barely a year after his passing and the ship that is Apple seems to be struggling in ways it has never struggled before...at least publicly.

The Forstall departure, despite all the hoorays over the death of skeuomorphism is a helluva lot more troubling than not if you actually look at his contributions. Yeah Siri and Maps were crash and burns and yeah, maybe it was time for a change. That doesn't change the fact that Mr. Cook seems to be having a very tough time doing what SJ made look easy.

Anyway, enough from me. I don't think the end is near but to paraphrase Yogi Berra, the future sure ain't what it used to be.
Kudos' for a very good post.

Yes sadly that's the way it is.

As a very long time Apple enthusiast, one who used to _really like_ both the product and the company, yet not one to shy away from speaking out when I see questionable practices, or issues of the present time, things have gone downhill.

Oh sure they are going to continue to set record sales numbers, and even higher profits for awhile, but I bet it's not going to last as long as it has appeared it would just six months ago.

I am in no way bashing Apple but rather simply stating my observations. I would like nothing better than to see them decide they were going to build a contemporary iPhone not too much unlike the new Galaxy 4 I am taking delivery of soon. A phone with a modern display that offers room to work when composing emails, taking notes and the like.

This BS about how "giant" they are from the devotees is pure nonsense. As is the refrain "if you can't afford an iPhone, you buy a cheap Android. Oh please people get a life!

Heck just today I encountered a gal who is a student at our university and she had a new Galaxy S3, I happened to ask her how she chose her new phone, as she obviously was a regular user and not a tech person. Interestingly, she said she returned her iPhone 5 due to lack of Google Maps, which she did not discover until she brought it home. I asked her if there was anything else she didn't care for and she said yes, the display was too small. So there you have it, a _true_ story that is but one of many. I see new SGS III's and HTC One X models all over the place.

Anyway, who knows, it's never too late, I would much rather see Apple pull out of it's funk than to rest and brag about the massive revenue stream until it wanes... no company stays on top forever.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
There really isn't a rush to update the apps. You bought an iPhone 5, you love it, the apps still work, more people still use the old screen size - WAY more. The day the app gets updated you'll forget that it took so long anyway. As a "big" developer, you don't care if people use your app on iOS, android, or Windows, as long as they are using it.

It's not a pressing need to update the apps with the new resolution especially since Apple didn't give everyone a proper heads up. I'm sure a lot of developers will "get around" to it.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

This was as of 2 months ago:
http://gizmodo.com/5944818/here-are-the-ios-apps-updated-for-the-iphone-5

You also have this: http://appshopper.com/search/?cat=a..."iphone+5"&searchdev=all&sort=update&dir=desc (hint, it tops out at 1000)

Everything isn't something.

TonyTouch

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
I'm also surprised by ESPN.

Yahoo Sportacular and Scoremobile look terrific with the expanded screen. So I just use those now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.