Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ForumViewer

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I'm looking to breathe some new life into my late 2009 27" iMac. I'm too tempted to get a brand new iMac, so I figure if I can slap an SSD in my old, it'll save me a couple thousand dollars in terms of added performance.

So...can anyone recommend an SSD that will work in an iMac? Looking for about a 256GB one. Additionally, I would be doing this project myself, so a pointer to easy to follow instructions would also be appreciated. I do have extensive PC building experience, so don't worry :)

Thanks for your help and suggestions in advance.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Check out the guide on ifixit.com. (iPhone just tried to change that address to idiot.com...ironic lol). Then you can get pretty much any 2.5" SSD and a 3.5" icy dock adapter. I recommend Samsung SSDs personally.

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY
I'm looking to breathe some new life into my late 2009 27" iMac. I'm too tempted to get a brand new iMac, so I figure if I can slap an SSD in my old, it'll save me a couple thousand dollars in terms of added performance.

So...can anyone recommend an SSD that will work in an iMac? Looking for about a 256GB one. Additionally, I would be doing this project myself, so a pointer to easy to follow instructions would also be appreciated. I do have extensive PC building experience, so don't worry :)

Thanks for your help and suggestions in advance.

I have the same iMac and I upgraded SSD a year ago, by taking off optical drive and putting a SSD (Intel 320 160GB) in its place through a dock. Samsung, Intel or Crucial, each of them works well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.