Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BFW122083

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Atl
Hey everyone,

I am thinking about selling my rMBP and would appreciate anyone's opinions. I have the base model 15" 8gb ram. I also own an iPhone 5, iPad 4, and a Thunderbolt Display. I work from home and my computer is hooked up to the display 90 percent of the time. My job requires basic office apps, acrobat pro, mail, safari, etc. Nothing too taxing on the comp. Other than that I sometimes play around on photoshop and sometimes get on a team fortress 2 kick :).

I bought it when it came out in June because I love retina displays. My iPad pretty much collected dust after I got it and I also used it a lot for couch surfing, but I have now gone back to an iPad. I am just thinking that its too much computer for me. I think I would be fine with a MacBook Air or Mac mini hooked up to my thunderbolt.

Admittedly I get caught up in the hype about new apple products and usually end up selling the old and getting the new. I almost sold it a few months ago and got an air, but couldn't let go of the retina display. Now I'm thinking about selling again because its hooked up to the display so much and I use my ipad more at night. What do you all think? Too much computer for my uses? Would I be fine with an air hooked up to my thunderbolt with what I described above?

Thanks for any thoughts!

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I just use my ipad also, and I have the retina. It's a hard one selling the retina; I also have the Cinema Display BTW.

I would give it more time. After a while, you will be even more sure about a sell, not less. The resale value will still be good. Better wait than stress out.

I would rather use the retina than the Cinema Display though. My Cinema Display is very nice but is a bit hard on my eyes as its rather large. The Retina, on the other hand, is extremely fine.

The only reason I use the ipad is because its awesome :)

Last edited:

BFW122083

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Atl
I just use my ipad also, and I have the retina. It's a hard one selling the retina; I also have the Cinema Display BTW.

I would give it more time. After a while, you will be even more sure about a sell, not less. The resale value will still be good. Better wait than stress out.

Thanks. I'm Trying to think rationally and not on impulse with this one.

Last edited:

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Hey everyone,

I am thinking about selling my rMBP and would appreciate anyone's opinions. I have the base model 15" 8gb ram. I also own an iPhone 5, iPad 4, and a Thunderbolt Display. I work from home and my computer is hooked up to the display 90 percent of the time. My job requires basic office apps, acrobat pro, mail, safari, etc. Nothing too taxing on the comp. Other than that I sometimes play around on photoshop and sometimes get on a team fortress 2 kick :).

I bought it when it came out in June because I love retina displays. My iPad pretty much collected dust after I got it and I also used it a lot for couch surfing, but I have now gone back to an iPad. I am just thinking that its too much computer for me. I think I would be fine with a MacBook Air or Mac mini hooked up to my thunderbolt.

Admittedly I get caught up in the hype about new apple products and usually end up selling the old and getting the new. I almost sold it a few months ago and got an air, but couldn't let go of the retina display. Now I'm thinking about selling again because its hooked up to the display so much and I use my ipad more at night. What do you all think? Too much computer for my uses? Would I be fine with an air hooked up to my thunderbolt with what I described above?

Thanks for any thoughts!

I understand the obsession, but I think you already own the best notebook on the planet right now. I'd just enjoy it even if you feel like its too powerful for you. In a year or two, the specs will be just right.

If anything, I'd sell the iPad and go just iPhone 5+rMBP+Thunderbolt Display. That's the setup I'm shooting for once there is an update to the Thunderbolt Display (pretty obvious they will update that once the new 27" iMacs hit the streets next month).

I owned an iPad 2 and sold it because it was just too much of a redundant device with my iPhone and cannibalized my use of the Mac. Apple device overkill for me.

If you really like the iPad, then I'd suggest selling the rMBP and TBD and getting the new 27" iMac to go with your iPad and iPhone (that was my set up prior to getting the new 13" rMBP).

BFW122083

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Atl
I sold my ipad shortly after getting my pro, and ended up missing it and got a new one a few days ago :). I'm just thinking I can do everything I do now with an air, and pocket some cash.

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: Mac mini + TBD...

Hi BFW122083,

Since you spend 90% of your time on your TBD and you don't need the retina display for your work, and your work load does not utilize (require) the GPU of the rMBP, then you might seriously consider the new Mac mini. It has the same quad core i7 as the rMBP and the HD 4000 integrated graphics will easily handle the TBD, so for much less money (than even the MBA) you can have the Mac mini running the TBD while providing any "horsepower" required for your work load and give you Mac OS X for office apps, etc. The rMBP is really overkill since you don't use the retina screen that much (10%) and the Mac mini will supply essentially the same CPU as the rMBP anyway. You can also pay a some more ($250) and get a Fusion Drive on the Mac mini ($799 base) that provides the speed advantages of the SSD (on the rMBP) along with the huge data storage of an HDD (1TB). Not only that but it sounds like you already enjoy the retina iPad for your evening browsing/entertainment and the iPad is much more portable than the rMBP.

Switon

BFW122083

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Atl
Hi BFW122083,

Since you spend 90% of your time on your TBD and you don't need the retina display for your work, and your work load does not utilize (require) the GPU of the rMBP, then you might seriously consider the new Mac mini. It has the same quad core i7 as the rMBP and the HD 4000 integrated graphics will easily handle the TBD, so for much less money (than even the MBA) you can have the Mac mini running the TBD while providing any "horsepower" required for your work load and give you Mac OS X for office apps, etc. The rMBP is really overkill since you don't use the retina screen that much (10%) and the Mac mini will supply essentially the same CPU as the rMBP anyway. You can also pay a some more ($250) and get a Fusion Drive on the Mac mini ($799 base) that provides the speed advantages of the SSD (on the rMBP) along with the huge data storage of an HDD (1TB). Not only that but it sounds like you already enjoy the retina iPad for your evening browsing/entertainment and the iPad is much more portable than the rMBP.

Switon

This was basically my thinking. The only reason I was leaning towards an air instead of a mini was because the idea of having all my pics stuck in one room. Also there could be a time where I need to take a computer somewhere instead of an ipad.

I put an add on Craigslist to feel it out and I have a guy with a 2012 13" air 128ssd 8gb ram that wants to trade plus 700 cash. Hmm.....

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
quad/dual cores?

This was basically my thinking. The only reason I was leaning towards an air instead of a mini was because the idea of having all my pics stuck in one room. Also there could be a time where I need to take a computer somewhere instead of an ipad.

I put an add on Craigslist to feel it out and I have a guy with a 2012 13" air 128ssd 8gb ram that wants to trade plus 700 cash. Hmm.....

So it boils down to this: do you need the quad core of the Mac mini or the portability of the MBA? The MBA had dual core but SSD and another display, the Mac mini has quad core and with a Fusion Drive both SSD and HDD but no additional display.

Good luck in your choice,
Switon

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
I had a 2.7/16/512 rMBP and sold it to get the model I had before - 17" 2.3 quad i7 with 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD (Feb 2011 model), with AppleCare until 2015, for $1600. Now I have a powerful machine with a nice display and around $1400 leftover. :)

You have great alternative options, but I personally would pick going with a MacBook Air. Even a 15.4" non-Retina MBP would be quite a nice machine for a lot less.

Waldo Reed

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Been looking for a macbook pro for couple of months. I could have gotten an Apple refurbished 2012 15" MBP base model with hi res matte display for $1600 but decided to continue looking for a 2011 17" MBP for less.

I liked the ivy bridge and usb 3.0 support. And the graphics are better than the 2011 line. However, the 2012 MBP and rMBP are not the light at the end of Apples tunnel. I read the next two proposed MBP lines are real killers.

Hoping to see a 17" model but unlikely.

BFW122083

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Atl
In case anyone wanted to know I ended up selling it last night. Got a 2012 13" Air 128ssd 8gb ram and $800 :). Think it was a good deal. I'm happy with the Air and the extra cash. Worked with it hooked up to my Thunderbolt today and didn't notice any differences in what I do at all.

Thanks for all the responses!

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Hey everyone,

Thanks for any thoughts!

I have been in your shoes - I sold my retina MacBook the day they announced the 13". I bought an air and was going to get an iMac and sell my ACD.

Lets just say I sold the air, bought another base rMBP, then later bought the 2.6ghz/16gb/256ssd :D

Retina is I possible to get rid off. Plus for the times you need that power on the go you will have it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.