Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:47 PM   #1
jaw04005
macrumors 601
 
jaw04005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: AR
Windows 8 Chief will leave Microsoft effective immediately [Merged]

Wow. Ballmer canned Sinofsky.

"I am grateful for the many years of work that Steven has contributed to the company,” CEO Steve Ballmer said. “The products and services we have delivered to the market in the past few months mark the launch of a new era at Microsoft. We’ve built an incredible foundation with new releases of Microsoft Office, Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Microsoft Surface, Windows Server 2012 and ‘Halo 4,’ and great integration of services such as Bing, Skype and Xbox across all our products. To continue this success it is imperative that we continue to drive alignment across all Microsoft teams, and have more integrated and rapid development cycles for our offerings.”

http://allthingsd.com/20121112/break...ave-microsoft/

Major shake ups at both tech giants this month.
jaw04005 is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:54 PM   #2
Tortri
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw04005 View Post
Wow. Ballmer canned Sinofsky.

"I am grateful for the many years of work that Steven has contributed to the company,” CEO Steve Ballmer said. “The products and services we have delivered to the market in the past few months mark the launch of a new era at Microsoft. We’ve built an incredible foundation with new releases of Microsoft Office, Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Microsoft Surface, Windows Server 2012 and ‘Halo 4,’ and great integration of services such as Bing, Skype and Xbox across all our products. To continue this success it is imperative that we continue to drive alignment across all Microsoft teams, and have more integrated and rapid development cycles for our offerings.”

http://allthingsd.com/20121112/break...ave-microsoft/

Major shake ups at both tech giants this month.
Wow, that came out of no where
Tortri is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:54 PM   #3
jav6454
macrumors G5
 
jav6454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Bet he'll find a job in the competition, mainly Google, Oracle, or some other software company. Doubt Apple will pick him.
__________________
Al MacBook 2.4GHz Late '08 | 5 S⃣ | Macross Click Me
jav6454 is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:56 PM   #4
t0rr3s
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Microsoft had to can someone because Apple did. /chuckle
__________________
Mac Pro 3,1 3.2 GHz Octocore 16GB RAM GTX 570 Intel X25-M 160GB SSD 4TB Caviar Black 30" ACD
MBA 2012 11" 1.7 GHz 8GB 128GB
t0rr3s is offline   3
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:59 PM   #5
barredfreak
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
I'd be canned too if the OS I made sucked.
barredfreak is offline   1
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:03 PM   #6
jaw04005
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
jaw04005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: AR
On the positive, I like his replacement Julie Larson-Green. She likes to experiment with UI's (responsible for Media Center, IE, Windows 8, etc).

The most interesting part of the press release was this line ...

"In her new role she will be responsible for all future Windows product development in addition to future hardware opportunities."

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/...ncementPR.aspx

More info about her:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/...-watching/5658
jaw04005 is offline   1
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:12 PM   #7
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn
 
Eidorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cuidad de México
Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw04005 View Post
On the positive, I like his replacement Julie Larson-Green. She likes to experiment with UI's (responsible for Media Center, IE, Windows 8, etc).

The most interesting part of the press release was this line ...

"In her new role she will be responsible for all future Windows product development in addition to future hardware opportunities."

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/...ncementPR.aspx

More info about her:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/...-watching/5658
Windows Media Center lady is in charge? Awesome.
__________________
Core i5 750 / 16 GB RAM / 500 GB SSD / HD 7950 / Windows 8.1
13" Retina MacBook Pro
Eidorian is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:32 PM   #8
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Whoa...Steven Sinofsky leaves Microsoft



http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57...ves-microsoft/
__________________
"I have a very optimistic view of individuals. As individuals, people are inherently good. I have a somewhat more pessimistic view of people in groups." -- Steve Jobs , Wired interview
Rogifan is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:34 PM   #9
jaw04005
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
jaw04005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidorian View Post
Windows Media Center lady is in charge? Awesome.
I think she ran the team that did the UI.
jaw04005 is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:44 PM   #10
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Maybe he'll team up with Scott Frostall.
dalbir4444 is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:46 PM   #11
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
And his replacement's claim to fame is introducing ribbon UI in Office. Good god I hate the ribbon.
__________________
"I have a very optimistic view of individuals. As individuals, people are inherently good. I have a somewhat more pessimistic view of people in groups." -- Steve Jobs , Wired interview
Rogifan is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:47 PM   #12
cnev3
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Whos Steven Sinofsky?
cnev3 is offline   1
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:59 PM   #13
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnev3 View Post
Whos Steven Sinofsky?
The Windows chief at Microsoft. I think some would've argued the most important person at Microsoft.
__________________
"I have a very optimistic view of individuals. As individuals, people are inherently good. I have a somewhat more pessimistic view of people in groups." -- Steve Jobs , Wired interview
Rogifan is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:03 PM   #14
zbarvian
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
And his replacement's claim to fame is introducing ribbon UI in Office. Good god I hate the ribbon.
Microsoft's doomed. It's official now.

What a travesty.
zbarvian is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:07 PM   #15
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
And his replacement's claim to fame is introducing ribbon UI in Office. Good god I hate the ribbon.
What's wrong with the ribbon? It's pretty effective at what it does.
dalbir4444 is offline   1
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:11 PM   #16
flopticalcube
macrumors G4
 
flopticalcube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the velcro closure of America's Hat
It is Ballmer who should be leaving. This is indeed sad news.
__________________
Read the Rules / Search the Forums / Use a Descriptive Title
Mac Won't Boot?
flopticalcube is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:19 PM   #17
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbir4444 View Post
What's wrong with the ribbon? It's pretty effective at what it does.
Guess I just liked my heavily customized toolbars. Oh and I has to learn new keyboard shortcuts.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopticalcube View Post
It is Ballmer who should be leaving. This is indeed sad news.
Apparently Sinofsky was similar to Scott Forstall - very polarizing and put Windows above all else at MS. There were also rumors he helped kill the Courier project. Hmm...maybe J Allard will come back now.
__________________
"I have a very optimistic view of individuals. As individuals, people are inherently good. I have a somewhat more pessimistic view of people in groups." -- Steve Jobs , Wired interview
Rogifan is offline   2
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:46 PM   #18
slimbek
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Windows 8 boss & iOS boss both fired!!

Wow!
Steven Sinofsky (Windows lead) has just left the company.
And Scott Forstall (iOS lead) has been given the boot.

Both "CEO's in waiting" and hot-headed executives.
Perhaps they can swap companies and we'll all meet somewhere in the middle with realistic looking window tiles on screen.


So what is next for both companies? Big changes ahead?
slimbek is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:57 PM   #19
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimbek View Post
Wow!
Steven Sinofsky (Windows lead) has just left the company.
And Scott Forstall (iOS lead) has been given the boot.

Both "CEO's in waiting" and hot-headed executives.
Perhaps they can swap companies and we'll all meet somewhere in the middle with realistic looking window tiles on screen.


So what is next for both companies? Big changes ahead?
I'm very sure the "boss" & the "head of a department" are 2 very different posts. Both of head of software departments in their respective companies. Steven wasn't fired effectively, he left "in a mutual agreement". Please do not jump into your own conclusions about such matter, it's spastic.

And do you honestly & truly expect forumers here to predict what will happen in 2 major companies after one person got fired??
Beeplance is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:28 PM   #20
slimbek
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
I'm very sure the "boss" & the "head of a department" are 2 very different posts. Both of head of software departments in their respective companies.
Perhaps on a business card... but if you worked on iOS, Scott was your boss, and Tim Cook the boss of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
And do you honestly & truly expect forumers here to predict what will happen in 2 major companies after one person got fired??
Um... yes.
I think predictions and conclusion jumping is kinda the idea of a rumors forum.


I'm sorry if you did not wish to participate.
slimbek is offline   1
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:11 PM   #21
Simplicated
macrumors 65816
 
Simplicated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waterloo, ON
How does this relate to Scott Forstall... I think it's more related to Betrand Serlet.
__________________
Clarus says "Moof!"
Simplicated is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:18 PM   #22
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicated View Post
How does this relate to Scott Forstall... I think it's more related to Betrand Serlet.
Serlet left on good terms with Apple. He's welcome back if he wants I think.

He was even at the last keynote in the 2nd. Row.
__________________
Throw us one Russell---John Fox Super Bowl 48
Peace is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:59 AM   #23
roadbloc
macrumors 604
 
roadbloc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Forstall may have deserved it for the maps fiasco. I feel Sinofsky has done a good job modernizing Windows. As with everything there is probably more to this than what meets the eye.
__________________
roadbloc is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:02 AM   #24
decafjava
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Geneva
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopticalcube View Post
It is Ballmer who should be leaving. This is indeed sad news.
Ballmer should have left years ago, I actually like some of the stuff MS has brought to the table in recent times.
decafjava is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:05 AM   #25
markfc
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Prestatyn, Wales, UK
Send a message via ICQ to markfc Send a message via AIM to markfc Send a message via MSN to markfc Send a message via Skype™ to markfc
Forstall!

Looks like someone's done a Forstall...

http://news.sky.com/story/1010715/wi...xits-microsoft
markfc is offline   0


Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Microsoft Windows XP countdown jrsx Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 8 Jan 18, 2014 10:59 PM
Windows Microsoft office Kurri Mac Applications and Mac App Store 4 Sep 3, 2013 11:06 AM
Windows 8-was Microsoft wrong? linkgx1 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 59 Feb 20, 2013 09:21 AM
Why would Microsoft allow us to install Windows on our Macs? Brettka7 MacBook Pro 25 Nov 22, 2012 10:26 AM
Microsoft Windows Chief Steven Sinofsky Out Following Windows 8 and Surface Launches MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 276 Nov 18, 2012 09:03 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC