Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
My girlfriends laptop HD has died and I have a new one ready to slot in. However, both her Snow Leopard disk (boxed not grey) and Leopard disk (gray) are in Ireland (we are in the UK).

I have my Snow Leopard (boxed copy not grey) that I used to upgrade my laptop right here next to me. Can I use it to install an OS to her new HD or is there some licence identifier or code that gets installed that will cause a problem if we are both using OS's installed from the same disk?

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
My girlfriends laptop HD has died and I have a new one ready to slot in. However, both her Snow Leopard disk (boxed not grey) and Leopard disk (gray) are in Ireland (we are in the UK).

I have my Snow Leopard (boxed copy not grey) that I used to upgrade my laptop right here next to me. Can I use it to install an OS to her new HD or is there some licence identifier or code that gets installed that will cause a problem if we are both using OS's installed from the same disk?

No, they do not have license keys.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

There is no license key or activation system as Apple is generally opposed to DRM.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
There is no license key or activation system as Apple is generally opposed to DRM.

Except on nearly every iTunes download for the past decade. They love DRM.

The main reason OSX doesn't have licence keys is that the cost is underwritten by the massive hardware markup, that and you can't install a retail copy on any other manufacturer's machines.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Except on nearly every iTunes download for the past decade. They love DRM.

The main reason OSX doesn't have licence keys is that the cost is underwritten by the massive hardware markup, that and you can't install a retail copy on any other manufacturer's machines.

I often wonder why this opinion is still this popular. People often think of Apple as this 'big evil company' (I am not saying that it isn't), but in fact, they have been mostly anti-DRM for the last few years now.

The iTunes music is mostly DRM free since 2009. No Apple software I am aware of has DRM (some more expensive stuff has license keys, but there is no online activation/validation system if I am not mistaken) and there is also no DRM on the App Store downloads unless the App creator explicitly chose to incorporate some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.