Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samdev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
How am I suppose to know how my app crashed with all of these redacted lines? :confused:
I'm guessing this redacted silliness started with iOS 6.0.

Crash report has been symbolicated, but still useless to me.

Code:
Thread: Unknown Name (Crashed)
0	  libobjc.A.dylib                    	0x33bb05b0 objc_msgSend + 15
1	  GameKit                            	0x32ff7795 <redacted> + 112
2	  UIKit                              	0x37031d4d <redacted> + 1576
3	  UIKit                              	0x36fb66a7 <redacted> + 298
4	  UIKit                              	0x36fb6481 <redacted> + 916
5	  UIKit                              	0x36f30abb <redacted> + 158
6	  UIKit                              	0x36fa58d7 <redacted> + 50
7	  QuartzCore                         	0x335a7bd9 <redacted> + 208
8	  libdispatch.dylib                  	0x387bb4b7 <redacted> + 22
9	  libdispatch.dylib                  	0x387bcdcb <redacted> + 226
10	 CoreFoundation                     	0x343b6f3b <redacted> + 1290
11	 CoreFoundation                     	0x34329ebd CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 356
12	 CoreFoundation                     	0x34329d49 CFRunLoopRunInMode + 104
13	 GraphicsServices                   	0x350922eb GSEventRunModal + 74
14	 UIKit                              	0x36f6f301 UIApplicationMain + 1120
15	 someApp                   		0x000d7995 main (main.m:54)

samdev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Delete (or move) any folders here (somewhere else):
for iOS 6. Then try again.

Sorry, I forgot to mention this crash report isn't from the Simulator. It's a live report sent to me.
App has already been compiled in release mode and sent to the App Store.

That trick only works for the simulator?

samdev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Do what I said. Remove the folder. Re-symbolicate.

I hear you, but the "raw" crash report already contains redacted lines.
It doesn't matter if I symbolicate it or not.

And the report was symbolicated by Crittercism. They use the PLCrashReporter library to generate
crash reports, so I'm guessing it's not even compatible with XCode.

samdev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Otherwise tell Crittercism to remove the folder I mentioned from their computer and re-symbolicate it for you.
Yes, you're definitely right. I'm complaining to the wrong person. :)
Didn't know where the fault lies, but now I'm on it.

Thanks again.

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
Obviously having a good symbolicated crashlog will make this a little easier to figure out but there are a few things you may be able to determine with what you have. The crash was in objc_MsgSend. This is almost always due to messaging a dealloced object. You might want to turn on Zombies and test your app. You might hit the problem.

There is none of your app's code in the stack trace. This always makes things harder to figure out. The second to last method is in GameKit. Is there a place in your app that you can tell that GameKit calls your code back?

Also, it is possible that others have hit the same crash and posted about it. Sometimes you can google for the library names in the log and find a matching crashlog online that's already been symbolicated.

samdev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Obviously having a good symbolicated crashlog will make this a little easier to figure out but there are a few things you may be able to determine with what you have. The crash was in objc_MsgSend. This is almost always due to messaging a dealloced object. You might want to turn on Zombies and test your app. You might hit the problem.

There is none of your app's code in the stack trace. This always makes things harder to figure out. The second to last method is in GameKit. Is there a place in your app that you can tell that GameKit calls your code back?

Also, it is possible that others have hit the same crash and posted about it. Sometimes you can google for the library names in the log and find a matching crashlog online that's already been symbolicated.

I call GameKit in several places, so it would be difficult to track down without a starting point.

Most crash reports I receive are due to low memory or low disk space conditions, so I assume this
is mostly due to the user having tons of background apps running. My app might try to allocate
something and fails, and continues to use that object, even if it's nil. And even if the iOS does
try to shut down background apps to free up memory, this won't happen fast enough if my app is
executing code in the middle of a method.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.