Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
I use MS Word for my job, which involves large documents with track changes. I use a 2011 MacBook Air (1.6Ghz i5, 4GB RAM) with OS X 10.8.2 and MS Word 2011 (v14.2.4).

Word is rather sluggish and crashes a lot in track-changes mode - the screen goes blank, I get bizarre network and memory errors, and then it crashes totally and quits. I've lost quite a lot of work over the last few months.

I've been using my wife's PC gaming rig sometimes (3.something GHz i7, 16GB RAM), and Word is super fast (can scroll through a 400 page document in seconds, etc) and very stable.

However it's a pain to keep switching computers.

My question is: if I install the Office for Windows under Parallels on my MacBook Air, will I get Windows-like performance from Word, or is it just going to be sluggish as hell and unstable, like the native Mac version of Word is?

I would rather use Parallels than BootCamp, as I'd like a seamless system without the need to keep rebooting.

I haven't tried it, because it would mean buying Office and Windows (and Parallels), and I'd rather see if anyone else has had similar experiences before I commit.

Thanks!

Sesshy

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
That's a very good question. I've got Word running properly under bootcamp, but I don't have any monstrous documents with which to test its performance. What I can say is that Parallels runs Windows as smoothly as Windows would run natively with the sole exception of 3D gaming, at least on my machine. I would be unsurprised if it turned out to be the case that emulated Office runs better than native Office Mac. In either case, Parallels is awesome and most definitely worth having. What's great is that you can install Windows via Boot Camp, and then set up a virtual machine under Parallels using that Boot Camp partition, so you always have the option of booting Windows natively if necessary.

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
Well, I took the plunge and am now running MS Office 2010 for Windows in Windows 7, in Parallels 8. It works brilliantly - it's a fraction slower than on my wife's PC, but even so, it is faster and more stable than the Mac version of MS Office. Even simple things like scrolling through documents is vastly superior.

Deleted Mac Office, and will never buy it again. The Windows version is brilliant and runs perfectly in Parallels.

FHayek

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
Zen,

My experience has been the same as the one you've had and are now having. Office 2011 is not nearly as robust as its Windows version. My MBA has 8gigs of memory and I've configured Parallels to use 2.5 GB. Very pleased thus far.

FH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.