Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Google only turned up one forum post (elsewhere) describing a similar problem, and no solutions, but it never hurts to ask.

I was working on a client's MacBook (7,1, mid-2010) on which the cursor is constantly flickering between whatever it should be (arrow, generally) and the text input bar, whenever it is being moved. It also occasionally appears to jump to the side about an inch during the flickers. Actual click behavior is otherwise normal, and there are no other obvious symptoms. The computer was apparently beachballing to an unusual degree, but that may have been due to other issues; verdict is still out on that until it's been used for a while.

This is a more or less stock MacBook running 10.7.5, with all software updates installed and no peripherals at all. Flash and Parallels (which includes MacFuse) are installed, but very little else. There was some sort of Yahoo browser enhancer prefpane installed, but I removed that to no avail. I also checked InputManagers and found Google Gears was installed, which I fully removed (via its uninstaller, and verified it's gone)--also didn't help.

The system appeared to have been migrated from an old iBook, so I'm suspicious something untoward got brought over from 10.[something old], but I'm not sure what that could be. I couldn't find anything out of place in the running process list (in fact, 100% 64-bit, so nothing at all old.

The only other non-stock software is a Filemaker-based app of some sort, which I would think nothing of except the one other thread mentioning a similar problem was with a lab of Mac Minis running Filemaker Server. Still, seems like a longshot--it's not server, just a app.

Anybody seen anything like this? Any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.