Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HAM2012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a new computer which is suitable for running Avid MC, FCP 7.0/X. I'm not a professional video editor but I have edited relatively simple stuff like interviews, news reports etc. I want to be able to do this at home so I can get more skilled without needing on-the-job-experience.

Other factors:

- portability isn't very important to me except perhaps to watch a movie on the living room tv
- gaming isn't important
- max. budget is 1000 euro
- most important reason for switching to Mac is FCP
- I will also do all of my my web browsing, office work etc. on my new computer but I figure any desktop is good enough for that.

From what I've read a Mac Mini is probably the cheapest suitable option for me. I already have a 22 inch Samsung monitor, that's why I decided against an Imac.

I've now found two deals on refurbished /second-hand Mini's:

Option no.1:

Mac mini 2.3 GHz Quad-core
4GB Ram
1 TB HDD (speed not mentioned but if it's standard model then 5400 RPM)
Intel HD 4000 graphics card
Asking price: 720 euro (so final price should be 650-700)

Option no.2:

MM Server 2.0GHz Quad-core
8GB RAM
500 GB 7200 RPM HDD + 256 GB SSD Samsung 830
No graphics card mentioned but if it's the standard model: Intel HD 3000
Price: 900 euro (non-negotiable).

So, what do you feel is the best value for money? Option 1 would be 850 new btw in my country. Do the faster HDD, added SSD and Ram justify the extra money for the MM Server despite the slower processor, worse graphics card and less overal HDD storage? Does it matter that 2 is the server model? Is the SSD at all necessary if you're not doing very heavy video editing?

Any general thoughts on these machines for my needs are welcome as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.