Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:02 AM   #1
Gryz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
iMessage from iPod to iPhone overseas

I have recently upgraded to the IP5 from the IP4 and have converted the 4 into a iPod touch basically. I live in the U.S. and would like to give my 4 to my friend who lives in Germany.

I am doing this with the hope that we can iMessage without problems. I understand she has to be on wifi to use iMessage, but must I also be on wifi at that same instant, or can I reply from anywhere using LTE also?

Thanks
Gryz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:19 AM   #2
mszpara
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
You can be on LTE
__________________
iPhone 4, black, 16gb, AT&T
iPad (3rd gen), black, 32gb, WiFi
2012 MacBook Air 13", 8GB RAM
mszpara is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Gryz
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Thank you.
Also, should I text her, and she is not on wifi, will I get a notification saying the message was unable to send?
Gryz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:35 AM   #4
FSMBP
macrumors 68020
 
FSMBP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
Thank you.
Also, should I text her, and she is not on wifi, will I get a notification saying the message was unable to send?
It will say "Not Delivered" by the message in red letters.
__________________
Still don't get why I can't save a Word File from an email on my iPhone without some third-party app.
FSMBP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:40 AM   #5
Gryz
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMBP View Post
It will say "Not Delivered" by the message in red letters.
And then once she connects to wifi, will it deliver or do I have to send it again?
Gryz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:50 AM   #6
nburwell
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
And then once she connects to wifi, will it deliver or do I have to send it again?
I'm pretty sure that you will have to re-send it.
__________________
13.3" rMBP 2.5GHz l iPhone 5s l iPad rMini l 4G iPod Touch l Apple TV l Nikon
nburwell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:05 PM   #7
cipo
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
In your scenario, you could also use Facebook Messenger (or another IM service). Advantages compared to iMessage:
- messages will be accessible from any device
- messages will be stored "in the cloud", so the message is delivered once your friend becomes available
- if you feel like it you can even geo-tag your messages

Once she's received your message, you'll get a read notification. The UI is also very similar to iMessage, so there's not really a drawback the way I see it.
cipo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:13 PM   #8
deannnnn
macrumors 68000
 
deannnnn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York City & South Florida
I have a friend who is living overseas for a few months and we've been using iMessage to communicate. Problem is, sometimes iMessage doesn't work and my phone will automatically send the message as a text, which AT&T then charges me for. And I can't turn off the "send via SMS" option because I want it to automatically send failed iMessages via text to US recipients.

Regardless, this won't happen in the OP's situation since you can't send an SMS to an iPod Touch.
__________________
MacBook Pro (Retina) / iPhone 5S
deannnnn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:11 PM   #9
Gryz
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Thank you all. We will experiment with both iMessage and Messenger and see which we prefer.
Gryz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:26 PM   #10
Mliii
macrumors 65816
 
Mliii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southern California
Send a message via AIM to Mliii Send a message via Yahoo to Mliii Send a message via Skype™ to Mliii
Remember that if you use iMessage and you don't want to risk incurring the expense of having the message sent as an SMS message if iMessage isn't available, you can turn OFF "Send As SMS' when iMessage is unavailable for any reason.
__________________
"...and the end of all our searching shall be to return to the place where we first started and know it for the first time" - TS Eliot
Mliii is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:47 PM   #11
Gryz
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mliii View Post
Remember that if you use iMessage and you don't want to risk incurring the expense of having the message sent as an SMS message if iMessage isn't available, you can turn OFF "Send As SMS' when iMessage is unavailable for any reason.
Yes, but since the IP4 no longer would have a data plan on it, I would not have to worry about sending to it as text, correct?
Gryz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:32 PM   #12
Jtludwig
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
Yes, but since the IP4 no longer would have a data plan on it, I would not have to worry about sending to it as text, correct?
Right but if you turn off the text option, then Apple will automatically store the iMessage until the recipient reconnects to the Internet.

If you leave the option on, the phone will try to send it as a SMS eventually and then you will get an error msg because its not tied to a cell account, and no message sent.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nburwell View Post
I'm pretty sure that you will have to re-send it.
Incorrect. As long as the send as text option is off, the iMessage server will store the msg and automatically forward it when the recipient reconnects to the Internet.

The sender will see the msg status change to "delivered" when the recipient reconnects and the message is received.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMBP View Post
It will say "Not Delivered" by the message in red letters.
It only says this when you have an error sending the msg. If the recipient phone is turned off, the iMessage server will store the msg and the status will change to "delivered" once it is actually delivered.
Jtludwig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:05 PM   #13
Gryz
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtludwig View Post
Right but if you turn off the text option, then Apple will automatically store the iMessage until the recipient reconnects to the Internet.

If you leave the option on, the phone will try to send it as a SMS eventually and then you will get an error msg because its not tied to a cell account, and no message sent.

----------



Incorrect. As long as the send as text option is off, the iMessage server will store the msg and automatically forward it when the recipient reconnects to the Internet.

The sender will see the msg status change to "delivered" when the recipient reconnects and the message is received.

----------



It only says this when you have an error sending the msg. If the recipient phone is turned off, the iMessage server will store the msg and the status will change to "delivered" once it is actually delivered.
Thank you for the information.

Now, it seems like having the SMS option off is the way to go, but won't this interfere with the other texts I send within the States?
Gryz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:15 PM   #14
Mliii
macrumors 65816
 
Mliii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southern California
Send a message via AIM to Mliii Send a message via Yahoo to Mliii Send a message via Skype™ to Mliii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
Yes, but since the IP4 no longer would have a data plan on it, I would not have to worry about sending to it as text, correct?
Yes, in your situation, absolutely true. Just speaking to a potentially larger audience that might not be in the same boat as you. If you don't have a data plan, it won't go as a text message.
__________________
"...and the end of all our searching shall be to return to the place where we first started and know it for the first time" - TS Eliot
Mliii is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:05 PM   #15
eelw
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by deannnnn View Post
I have a friend who is living overseas for a few months and we've been using iMessage to communicate. Problem is, sometimes iMessage doesn't work and my phone will automatically send the message as a text, which AT&T then charges me for. And I can't turn off the "send via SMS" option because I want it to automatically send failed iMessages via text to US recipients.

Regardless, this won't happen in the OP's situation since you can't send an SMS to an iPod Touch.
Instead of texting to the cell phone number, send iMessage using their Apple ID. This way it won't revert to SMS.
eelw is online now   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using my AT&T iPhone 5 overseas mhuntoon iPhone 12 Jun 26, 2013 02:25 PM
Using iMessage on iPhone 4S overseas lightweight iPhone 2 Jun 13, 2013 11:08 AM
iPhone use overseas...help please! fourfitts iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 5 Feb 16, 2013 04:31 PM
Best U.S. iPhone 5 model for overseas use? Ellsass iPhone 5 Sep 12, 2012 04:34 PM
iMessage with international Sim overseas? TOOFY iOS 5 and earlier 3 Jul 6, 2012 12:42 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC