Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:06 AM   #1
Acorn
macrumors 68020

so does the mini scratch like the iphone 5?

Havent seen to many scratch threads. Im wondering if the scratch problem is gone or doesnt effect the minis. maybe they are like the ipods and dont scratch? I have a mini but its sealed for a christmas gift so there is no way for me to tell.

I would expect to see threads out the ying yang by now if they scratched easily.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:09 AM   #2
mikeoui
macrumors regular

I'm wondering the same thing. Fear of scraping paint on the black version, for example, is one reason I went with the white one. (Coupled with ease of fingerprinting...though the black really is sharper looking...)
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:11 AM   #3
TimUSCA
macrumors 6502

Mine hasn't scratched and I don't have a case on it. Then again, my iPhone 5 hasn't scratched either. I'm not super careful with either device.

I'm thinking some people just treat their devices like total crap.
TimUSCA is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:21 AM   #4
crazytrain
macrumors member

Check them out in store - the black ones appear to be prone to scratching on the ones I checked - obvious marks around on/off switch. I've kept my black iphone 5 in a case and with a screen protector from day 1 - have an obvious mark/silver showing through on the bezel, no idea how it happened. No particular gripe, I don't mind, just stating facts
crazytrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:40 AM   #5
ntdb
macrumors newbie

I've had my black mini for a couple of weeks now (first naked, then smart cover) and there are no signs of scratching anywhere.
ntdb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:22 AM   #6
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post
No - people just tend to put cases on them, to prevent them from scratching, but it then ironically ends up scratching the ***** out of it when debris gets lodged between the case and the phone.

It's almost like an inbuilt karma feature for trying to hide the beauty of the ip5/ipad mini in the first place
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:08 AM   #7
Acorn
macrumors 68020

A few posts have popped up about scratching but nothing as bad as I thought they would. I purchased a white one just in case. I think it may scratch less.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:32 AM   #8
steve dave
macrumors 6502a

I had a small nick on my black which was always in a case. It has since gone back for a white.
steve dave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:36 AM   #9
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post
Mine hasn't scratched and I don't have a case on it. Then again, my iPhone 5 hasn't scratched either. I'm not super careful with either device.

same, and I toss that thing around now haha
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:28 AM   #10
M87
macrumors 65816

My black iPhone 5 is still pristine, no case. But if you buy into the hype that looking at a black iPhone 5 the wrong way will cause the paint to fall off I don't see why you'd feel any less paranoid about the mini.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:30 AM   #11
Iceage
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by m87 View Post
my black iphone 5 is still pristine, no case. But if you buy into the hype that looking at a black iphone 5 the wrong way will cause the paint to fall off i don't see why you'd feel any less paranoid about the mini.
+1
Iceage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:47 AM   #12
Kayakphotos
macrumors member

I wanted the white mini for this reason, but my local best buy didn't get them because of the hurricane on launch day, so I went with a black one.

The case I am using only protects the back and front (tabs hold the device In place) and I haven't gotten any scratches yet.
Kayakphotos is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad