Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fortune points to a new report from research firm Retail Sails, which once again ranks Apple as the U.S. retail store chain with the highest sales per square foot. Apple's sales productivity is calculated at over $6000 per square foot, more than double that of second-place Tiffany & Co.

retail_sails_2012_ranking.jpg
Apple also topped the list last year, with this year's 7.5% growth in sales per square foot ranking second among the top five companies to lululemon's 11.8% growth. Apple's retail store sales growth has, however, slowed considerably from Retail Sails' 2011 estimate of 49.1% growth as Apple has in some cases been transitioning to larger store sizes and expanded iPhone and iPad distribution has siphoned some demand from Apple's own retail stores.

Article Link: Apple Again Tops U.S. Retail Chains in Sales at $6000 per Square Foot

blublibla

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
And how does this make their last product innovative? Better? Worth the increasing price?

Yeah, one of those many many micro-news any corporation could do in other domains, that actually don't mean anything but Apple making money and obviously not investing it in R&D, quality or consumer prices anymore...but rather in ridiculous patent lawsuits.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
From what I've read, to increase profits. That's kinda the point of a business. But I agree, why does Apple need even more profit than it has now?

Apparently because if Apple only meets its projections, and doesn't beat them by ten percent, it's a sign that the company is doomed and the stock will drop by 20%.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
From what I've read, to increase profits. That's kinda the point of a business. But I agree, why does Apple need even more profit than it has now?

So they can 'lease' more designs like that Swiss clock...

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
Phenomenal!

To gross that much per foot when you are also the producer and cut out the "middleman" of traditional retailing is very impressive (to a shareholder)

It also points the way to future innovations in retailing that can be applied in other sectors though probably not as successfully.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
And how does this make their last product innovative? Better? Worth the increasing price?

Yeah, one of those many many micro-news any corporation could do in other domains, that actually don't mean anything but Apple making money and obviously not investing it in R&D, quality or consumer prices anymore...but rather in ridiculous patent lawsuits.

yap.. but it means customers are buying Apple products and the store is a popular places for consumer to buy Apple stuff.. Do you know that Apple spent 3.38B in last fiscal year in R&D? How many company in the world do that?

If Apple product is not innovative or high quality, why would people buy their products? do you need to see your psychiatrist to talk out your anger issue?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
yap.. but it means customers are buying Apple products and the store is a popular places for consumer to buy Apple stuff.. Do you know that Apple spent 3.38B in last fiscal year in R&D? How many company in the world do that?

Quite a few. Apple isn't even in the top 10

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2011/07/28/which-companies-in-the-sp-spend-the-most-in-rd/

Also - R&D spending doesn't equate to being innovative.

http://www.businessinsider.com/booz-and-cos-innovation-study-2011-10?op=1

To your argument - Apple is considered very innovative (as of 2011) despite its lower R&D spending

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
So why was Browett cutting costs? Thankfully he's going away.

It's in his nature, Dixons group is all about big red banners everywhere saying 'SALE'...very tacky stuff.

The stupid thing is, they aren't sales at all - they are always a good 20% more expensive than anywhere else.

Put it this way, they are the UK's equivalent to CompUSA, run by idiot corporate boys in their expensive suits, who know bugger all about the products they are selling.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012

If Apple product is not innovative or high quality, why would people buy their products? do you need to see your psychiatrist to talk out your anger issue?

I was talking with some people about Apple innovation. One of the things mentioned was the App store as being innovative when someone chimed in and reminded us that Apple was not the 1st. I was then reminded about Steam. I was irritated, but he had a good/valid point. He mentioned serveral things that we think of as "innovation", but were actually something Apple just made better (much better in many cases).

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
How many bodies is that per sq. ft? I grew so tired of squeezing into Apple stores with the crowds I avoid them.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
How many bodies is that per sq. ft? I grew so tired of squeezing into Apple stores with the crowds I avoid them.

I have to agree. Very few people are actually buying whenever I've been in their - most go in there for the free wifi, to check emails and facebook...feel like slapping them sometimes.

Not sure why Apple still havent blocked access to social networks on their in-store wifi. I know they want to draw people in to use the machines, but surely they arent getting a sale anyway from someone who's only purpose in the shop is to post a status update.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012

Why do some millionaires and billionaires oppose paying taxes? Because to them, you can't have to enough money.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Apple $6050 per square foot (gross sales per year). Yesterday JC Penny CEO Johnson said he is targeting $250 per square foot in late 2013. I don't happen to know what it is now, perhaps half that.

Here's a link with a more comprehensive list of different industries and psf sales:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...e07DJR&sig=AHIEtbSU0ybAM4KM5wA-_ARuHxqnmGasNA

Given Apple has 40% margins I suspect its NET psf is astronomically higher.

Rocketman

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I have to agree. Very few people are actually buying whenever I've been in their - most go in there for the free wifi, to check emails and facebook...feel like slapping them sometimes.

Not sure why Apple still havent blocked access to social networks on their in-store wifi. I know they want to draw people in to use the machines, but surely they arent getting a sale anyway from someone who's only purpose in the shop is to post a status update.
Make it a nice place to be, people come, and maybe the buy, maybe they don't. But you don't make sales by making your floor space hostile to visitors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.