Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
My MacBook Pro is 2 months old and its started to get really laggy and freezes up for minutes at a time. Scrolling has become very jerky and web page images are flickering like mad.

When I open apps such as Launchpad my macbook just freezes, then eventually the Launchpad page loads up really slowly, starting from the top of the page downwards.

The backlit keyboard is also refusung to light up.

I cant get a Genius appointment as there are none available at my local store. I was wondering if there are any checks I could make myself to diagnose the problem? This is my first ever MacBook so Im a bit of a newbie :eek:

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
The keyboard backlighting looks at the ambient lighting of the room through the same sensor used for setting screen intensity and disables itself if it thinks you've got enough light to see what you're doing.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
applications > utilities > activity monitor

With this application you can see if there is a process taking a lot of activity.

The app taking up the largest amount of CPU % is Safari at 12% (I have 5 tabs open). I assume this is an acceptable amount?

The keyboard backlighting looks at the ambient lighting of the room through the same sensor used for setting screen intensity and disables itself if it thinks you've got enough light to see what you're doing.

Ahh, didnt realise that, thanks. But I'm now sat in darkness and the keyboard still isnt lit up!!

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
:D:D

Wasnt anything available for the next week or so. But an appointment has just popped up for next Tuesday so I snapped it up :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.