Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silvercircle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I find al sorts of adapters but none to connect Apple's Thunderbolt Display on my DVI (GTX 680) card. Google didn't help.
I'm thinking of replacing my display and I don't think it it wise to buy the DVI version in case I want to replace my Mac Pro in the future with something else which will have Thunderbolt.
Is it possible at all to connect a Thunderbolt display to a DVI?

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

It isn't impossible. With enough gyrations most things can be coupled to each other.

The question of whether the DVI graphics card is forward compatible with Thunderbolt. That's a straight no.

However, if someone built a powered Thunderbolt dongle with a DVI pass-thru and small computer to drive the thunderbolt switch control logic and the PCI-e lanes then it would work. It would probably cost $150-200.

----------

I don't think it it wise to buy the DVI version in case I want to replace my Mac Pro in the future with something else which will have Thunderbolt.

That's a highly dubious assertion since the the Thunderbolt connector on a mac is backward compatible with the DVI display.

The only minor constraint is that you have put the display on the end of a Thunderbolt chain. The display that works on both TB and DVI macs is the the DVI one.

It is extremely likely though that future Mac Pros will come with Graphic cards with mainstream connectors (i.e., not Thunderbolt). That isn't even "backward" compatible ... that's it is the same compatible.

PCI-e graphics cards with Thunderbolt connectors are extremely unlikely to appear any time soon if ever.

d-m-a-x

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
can you plug the monitor into a card that has a mini display port slot, or get a female mini display adaptor > dvi? data wount work bu you can get a video signal

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
thunderbolt sends data as if it were on a pci-e port
dvi sends data as if it were connected to a video card.

So..fundamentally incompatable

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.