Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:18 PM   #26
rei101
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy11523 View Post
This sucker can tell how fast I'm going in the car and knows the speed limit of the street!
Damn it! Does it shows the "SLOW DOWN" message?
rei101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:19 PM   #27
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

Anything will be better than apple maps. I think it is about 1/10th of the time right for me =/......and I live in ATLANTA...a major city!
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:22 PM   #28
berniemakaveli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
I'm so sorry for being a sucker, as you point out. Can you forgive me? Please!!

I feel well and properly chastised by your gentle and well intended post. I know you are just trying to help us stupid suckers. You have taken some of your time to help us suckers.Thank you, thank you.

I'll try not to be sucked in by those subtle PR tricks identifiable only by you, oh perspicacious one.

I promise, I have learned my lesson.

Perspicacious. Nice use of vocab!
berniemakaveli is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:25 PM   #29
moderngamenewb
macrumors 6502

I've never used Nokia's maps before, but all I need it for is transit directions. With Nokia's maps being released, and iTunes Match being fixed in 6.1 second beta, it looks like when 6.1 is officially released, I'll finally upgrade my phone from 5.1.1.
moderngamenewb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:27 PM   #30
dv8r
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prom1 View Post
THIS is the company Apple should've dealt with in the first place. the pricing would've also been favorable as well.

Navteq has THE WORLDS BEST mapping solution bar none. and its been proven in 3 OS over the past 6years: S60, UIQ, and recently with Windows Phone 7/7.5/8. It even features breadcrumbs on E71/E66/N95/N97, etc etc ... something even Google Maps doesn't feature on any platform.
I would have liked it if Apple Maps was based on Navteq - their data is 1000 times better than Tomtom's. I still think Apple should have bought Nokia, sliced out the Maps and Camera divisions and left the rest in the gutter.
dv8r is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:29 PM   #31
i.mac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig McNasty View Post
Ha! "Apple has been working to improve its in-house Maps app launched as part of iOS 6, following significant criticism of the app's features and accuracy." Not round here it isn't. Can't find Earls Court Exhibition centre (one of the biggest in London), is useless for finding almost any address, and satellite imagery coverage is still dire. There's no way that it's going to get any better without spending some serious money and acquiring the info/data. Waiting for us to do it is just going to annoy more and more people - and annoy some onto other platforms. Grrrr. Halfbaked Fail.
Simple answer to your rant: Nokia free maps. In this post. Right here.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
Anything will be better than apple maps. I think it is about 1/10th of the time right for me =/......and I live in ATLANTA...a major city!
Poor poor you!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:33 PM   #32
Monkey Butler
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinDoc View Post
What's next, FaceTime for Android, supplied by Apple?
Video calling (without requiring Wi-Fi!) has been available for a decade...
Monkey Butler is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:44 PM   #33
mazz0
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to mazz0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensa View Post
think back to last week's PR spin from google saying they didn't think their map app would be approved and this announcement by Noika.

Google suckered the majority of you into negatively commenting on apple's policies and practices when in reality they were really trying to cover up for the fact that they had months to prepare a new maps app for IOS and couldn't be bothered to devote adequate resources to it and/or wanted to see Apple squirm.

Please try to remember this lesson for the future and learn to be able to recognize blatant PR dirty tricks / bull crap when you see it.
Nokia are making an HTML5 based app, ie a webapp - won't need to be approved.
mazz0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:45 PM   #34
timcullis
macrumors member

I was in Budapest for four days last week, used the Apple Maps on the iPhone 5 extensively. Also had a chance to use the Google maps via the TripAdvisor City Guide offline app.

Couldn't see anything wrong with the Apple maps--they worked fine. And seem to work fine in my local area of South West London.
timcullis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:47 PM   #35
Mr.damien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensa View Post
think back to last week's PR spin from google saying they didn't think their map app would be approved and this announcement by Noika.

Google suckered the majority of you into negatively commenting on apple's policies and practices when in reality they were really trying to cover up for the fact that they had months to prepare a new maps app for IOS and couldn't be bothered to devote adequate resources to it and/or wanted to see Apple squirm.

Please try to remember this lesson for the future and learn to be able to recognize blatant PR dirty tricks / bull crap when you see it.
They don't want to learn anything, they don't care: they are ... The Haters (c)
  2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:56 PM   #36
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniemakaveli View Post
Perspicacious. Nice use of vocab!
Thanks, I appreciate it. I thought it might be a tad sesquipedalian, but I guess not!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:59 PM   #37
PsudoPowerPoint
macrumors regular

Apple should negotiate a deal to include Nokia's mapping properties in Apple Maps. Apple has the money, Nokia needs it, and Now Edddy Cue, the guy that made the deals with the record labels and the publishers is in charge of Apple Maps.
PsudoPowerPoint is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:10 PM   #38
cal6n
macrumors 68000

Quote:
<snip>

... it will include offline capabilities, voice-guided walk navigation, and public transport directions. The application is scheduled to be available for free ...

<snip>
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

cal6n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:11 PM   #39
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Is it vector based like Apple Maps? If so, I can't think of any reason to continue using Apple Maps...
ArtOfWarfare is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:19 PM   #40
Stig McNasty
macrumors regular

Less a rant, more a statement of fact

Call that a rant! Pah!
Stig McNasty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:25 PM   #41
perealb
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainMac View Post
I think Street View is what I miss the most of Google Maps. With Google Maps out of the picture, I am more open to mapping products from other vendors including the hated Apple maps.
Street view is available on the web mobile version of Google Maps. It's actually snappier than the original app.
perealb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:31 PM   #42
KPOM
macrumors G3

Offline viewing makes this interesting. And it's good to see Google get some more direct competition. Between the HTC DNA (which should give the SIII some real competition among those who want huge screen phones), and this, it appears Apple may no longer be alone in fighting against the Samsung juggernaut.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei101 View Post
Damn it! Does it shows the "SLOW DOWN" message?
I once had a Nokia N97. The maps were great on it (about the only thing that was - the GPS itself took forever to lock), but it would give me the annoying "please slow down" voice all the time.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:39 PM   #43
MacinDoc
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Butler View Post
Video calling (without requiring Wi-Fi!) has been available for a decade...
I was speaking of the specific apps, not similar ones. Just as there are map apps for iOS, just not one that is the iOS equivalent of Nokia's flagship product.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:40 PM   #44
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

This Nokia company seems swell. It's too bad you don't hear about them much except for how they seem to be not doing so well. :/
Xenomorph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:41 PM   #45
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Great alternatives to Apple Maps are coming... no reason for people to complain soon.
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:48 PM   #46
Zudeo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy11523 View Post
This sucker can tell how fast I'm going in the car and knows the speed limit of the street!
Like Google Maps or.. a real GPS. I'm glad it has that feature though. I'm surprised Apple released a barebones maps app with iOS 6. Good to hear the 920 is treating you well though!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:56 PM   #47
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Judging from very limited screenshots, their app for Windows Phone OS, and Here.net website, I am less than impressed.

On the plus side, the app will be free and fills many voids introduced by iOS 6 Maps app. Walking directions, transit info, offline mode are all very welcomed. And Here.net is pretty fast, maps data seems solid, and maps are fairly attractive. The UI seems much worse than iOS 6 Maps, but seems at least about on par with Google's.

But iOS 6 Maps' #1 shortcoming, Points Of Interest (POI) data seems even worse. I've looked at about a dozen places I frequent) and it is more limited and outdated than iOS 6 Maps.
nutmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:04 PM   #48
sazivad
macrumors 6502

Choice is good.
sazivad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:04 PM   #49
evilcat
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b166er View Post
my only beef with maps on the 920 is that it doesn't speek the street names. It will say "get on the highway" or "take the exit" which is kind of a nice simulation to having a passenger navigate, but sometimes I need to know the street names and I can't be staring at the screen.
Interestingly, there is no parity between Nokia Drive on different platforms. My N9 (Meego) has, in the voices options, an English and an English With Street Names. I use the latter, and it tells me the road names, etc. My wife's Lumia doesn't have that voice option, so we just get 'in half a mile, take the exit' which isn't much use when you have roads laid out like they are in Maryland.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:21 PM   #50
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

Well, Nokia's maps are significantly better than Apple's, but not as good as Google's as they don't own a search engine.

And it's a crappy webapp. Urgh.

By no means bad news, but it doesn't solve the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinDoc View Post
A bit surprising, IMO, considering the fact that Nokia will lose some of the advantage its phones could have over the iPhone by making this available for the iPhone. What's next, FaceTime, iCloud and Siri for Android, all supplied by Apple?

Nice to have the maps available even when offline.

I think I will check this out when more details become available.
It's not that surprising. It's a crappy webapp. It's great for showing off that their data is much better than Apple's, but terrible to actually use - and therefore a great advert for their hardware with the native service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv8r View Post
Dear Google,

When a main competitor makes an a** out of themselves - this is how you scramble...
By... launching a maps webapp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig McNasty View Post
Ha! "Apple has been working to improve its in-house Maps app launched as part of iOS 6, following significant criticism of the app's features and accuracy." Not round here it isn't. Can't find Earls Court Exhibition centre (one of the biggest in London), is useless for finding almost any address, and satellite imagery coverage is still dire. There's no way that it's going to get any better without spending some serious money and acquiring the info/data. Waiting for us to do it is just going to annoy more and more people - and annoy some onto other platforms. Grrrr. Halfbaked Fail.
Remember that story that Apple store staff were being roped in to improve maps?

The Apple Westfield London store hasn't even managed to get the Nike store next door to them added yet. Or, indeed, any other stores at all. Except for one bar. Which isn't actually in that shopping centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Great alternatives to Apple Maps are coming... no reason for people to complain soon.
When we can set intents from the Apple apps to third party apps and change the provision of the mapkit API to third party apps that will be true. But neither are allowed under the App Store.
The Phazer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion