Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:25 PM   #51
AppleInMyBlood
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazz0 View Post
Nokia are making an HTML5 based app, ie a webapp - won't need to be approved.
"The application is scheduled to be available for free download from Apple's App Store in the coming weeks."
AppleInMyBlood is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:46 PM   #52
PDFierro
macrumors 68030

Well this is pretty awesome.
PDFierro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:46 PM   #53
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
i love nokia maps

Been a Nokia fan all my life till the Apples came dropping in and they decided to add a window to their nokia wall.

Nokia maps is the best thing ever.

Thank you Nokia

PS - nokia, i wish u put android on ur cool hardware , that will cause a major change in the market.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:50 PM   #54
RoadOfMajor
macrumors newbie

I have been using the Nokia Maps on my Nokia Lumia 800 for a while. It really is the best offline navigator you can get on a phone.

Last edited by RoadOfMajor; Nov 13, 2012 at 07:30 PM.
RoadOfMajor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:51 PM   #55
LagunaSol
Banned

It's hard to warm up to Nokia now that they share a bed with Ballmer. *shudder*
LagunaSol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:55 PM   #56
jamojamo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig McNasty View Post
Ha! "Apple has been working to improve its in-house Maps app launched as part of iOS 6, following significant criticism of the app's features and accuracy." Not round here it isn't. Can't find Earls Court Exhibition centre (one of the biggest in London), is useless for finding almost any address, and satellite imagery coverage is still dire. There's no way that it's going to get any better without spending some serious money and acquiring the info/data. Waiting for us to do it is just going to annoy more and more people - and annoy some onto other platforms. Grrrr. Halfbaked Fail.
You mean the one I just found on Apple Maps? 34 Warwick Road Kensington England SW5 9 UK.

Which by the way is the EXACT same result you get when you use Google Maps.

Talk about full of it.
jamojamo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:57 PM   #57
Ubuntu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensa View Post
think back to last week's PR spin from google saying they didn't think their map app would be approved and this announcement by Noika.

Google suckered the majority of you into negatively commenting on apple's policies and practices when in reality they were really trying to cover up for the fact that they had months to prepare a new maps app for IOS and couldn't be bothered to devote adequate resources to it and/or wanted to see Apple squirm.

Please try to remember this lesson for the future and learn to be able to recognize blatant PR dirty tricks / bull crap when you see it.
A source for your claimed fact, please?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:23 PM   #58
Macist
macrumors 6502a

Apple Maps in getting better for vanilla address searches. But for, say, finding the nearest Indian Restaurant from your current location you're still likely to get shown something in another country.

If the Nokia app eases the pain of losing the perfectly good Google Maps app then I'm all for it.
Macist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:38 PM   #59
nutmac
macrumors 68020

More detailed information at Nokia's blog.

From what I can gather, it appears to be lacking turn-by-turn driving navigation (only turn-by-turn walking navigation). Public transportation and driving seem to be limited to iOS 5 style navigation instructions.
nutmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:43 PM   #60
RodThePlod
macrumors 6502a

Here, here!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:43 PM   #61
Macist
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmac View Post
But iOS 6 Maps' #1 shortcoming, Points Of Interest (POI) data seems even worse. I've looked at about a dozen places I frequent) and it is more limited and outdated than iOS 6 Maps.
Seems a lot better to me - almost everything near me it found perfectly, even throwing an obscurity at it. Plus all the pins were dead on. Most Apple Maps pins are either miles off or not quite right (wrong side of road, 100 metres out)
Macist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:48 PM   #62
NinjaHERO
macrumors 6502a

Well if Apple is going to approve this app then there is hope for a Google Maps app.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:50 PM   #63
Blakjack
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
Nokia maps were great, so I'm looking forward to this.

Nokia Maps uses Navteq ( nokia owns Navteq ) which is also used by Navigon / Garmin so its a great data set.

Could be a great competitor to currently paid for navigation apps, especially if its free.
Cool. ive seen Navteq cars riding around Tallahassee for a couple of weeks now. Nokia maps coming to iOS is great news considering all the good reviews Ive heard of them in the past.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:59 PM   #64
hchung
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
It's hard to warm up to Nokia now that they share a bed with Ballmer. *shudder*
I'd guess it'd be plenty warm (and sweaty) with Ballmer.

*ick*

Jokes aside, I'm glad Nokia's putting their map solution out there as both a webapp and native app.
Navteq's been doing this stuff well for ages.

Last edited by hchung; Nov 13, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
hchung is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:01 PM   #65
theBB
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
Nokia Maps uses Navteq ( nokia owns Navteq ) which is also used by Navigon / Garmin so its a great data set.
Funny. A week ago, I've used Navigon, which proudly announces its Navteq maps, and it told me to turn left into a one way street in the wrong direction.
theBB is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:07 PM   #66
Colpeas
macrumors 6502

Given the tragical situation with iOS6 maps, I am pretty sure most people wouldn't hesitate spending a buck on a good navigation App (superior to Apple maps anyway).
And since I've only heard good feedback on maps which Nokia equips their Lumia's with, if the iOS version is gonna be the same, i'm sold.

Just a thought: If Nokia decided to sell the app for $1.99, would it save them from bankruptcy?

Last edited by Colpeas; Nov 13, 2012 at 07:12 PM.
Colpeas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:18 PM   #67
xofruitcake
macrumors 6502a

It seems that the loser on all these map chaos is going to be Google. Losing Google map on IOS does not seems to slow down IOS device (Iphone 5, Ipod Touch 5, Ipad Mini, and Ipad 4 sales all seems fine). And Google lost the revenue from Google map on IOS device. And now that Nokia map come in, it will relieve the pressure on Apple map team. Apple map can stay on the background. Nokia map will gain users and benefit from the chaos... What does it leave Google map in the future? The only alternative seems to be staying in the Android environment right now.
xofruitcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:19 PM   #68
aleksander
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig McNasty View Post
Ha! "Apple has been working to improve its in-house Maps app launched as part of iOS 6, following significant criticism of the app's features and accuracy." Not round here it isn't. Can't find Earls Court Exhibition centre (one of the biggest in London), is useless for finding almost any address, and satellite imagery coverage is still dire. There's no way that it's going to get any better without spending some serious money and acquiring the info/data. Waiting for us to do it is just going to annoy more and more people - and annoy some onto other platforms. Grrrr. Halfbaked Fail.
Agreed. I've tried to put our London company on the Apple map for months now via 'reporting a problem' link in the app. I think this functionality must be completely ignored on the Apple part because our company is still unavailable to find, despite being registered on Yelp and everywhere else forever...

WHY can't Apple issue an open tool like Google Places, where users could put their businesses and all other POIs for them for free? Heck, Apple fans would probably fix the whole world in two weeks
aleksander is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:25 PM   #69
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

Quote:
It can't be web-based, since it will supposedly work offline.
jayducharme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:52 PM   #70
KdParker
macrumors 68040

Lets check this thing out. I like the free part.
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:10 PM   #71
M5RahuL
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by olowott View Post
Been a Nokia fan all my life till the Apples came dropping in and they decided to add a window to their nokia wall.

Nokia maps is the best thing ever.

Thank you Nokia

PS - nokia, i wish u put android on ur cool hardware , that will cause a major change in the market.
I wish the bean counters at Nokia had the vision of where the mobile tech was headed and adapted to it quickly with Symbian S60 and then Meego instead of Android or Windows.

Nokia was once the best you could buy, especially their N and E series!! No one could match their hardware, but their software [ OS ] kept lagging behind the times!

They, unfortunately, deserved what they got because of their complacency !!!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:29 PM   #72
Supa_Fly
macrumors 68030

Send a message via MSN to Supa_Fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
It can't be web-based, since it will supposedly work offline.
Um ... HTML5 supports cached data so this can work within Safari directly. Alternatively the application can be a straight up IOS app using Webkit and be approved yet using data from an HTTPS or other secure method to acquire data into the iOS app. We'll see when its launched and picked apart.

FYI: off-topic only on HTML related ... RIM's BB10 Browser in their beta and SDK is fully created in HTML5 code.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:41 PM   #73
Speedy2
macrumors 65816

Quote:
There's no such correlation.
Facebook had an HTML5 based app until recently and then switched to a native app. Both were regular apps that needed to be approved.
Speedy2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:47 PM   #74
dv8r
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phazer View Post
By... launching a maps webapp?
No by doing a real app. Why Google is ********* about with the app in development still is beyond me.
dv8r is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:50 PM   #75
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensa View Post
think back to last week's PR spin from google saying they didn't think their map app would be approved and this announcement by Noika.

Google suckered the majority of you into negatively commenting on apple's policies and practices when in reality they were really trying to cover up for the fact that they had months to prepare a new maps app for IOS and couldn't be bothered to devote adequate resources to it and/or wanted to see Apple squirm.

Please try to remember this lesson for the future and learn to be able to recognize blatant PR dirty tricks / bull crap when you see it.
So you can link to the posts where you saw this coming right? I'm sure your not just another "Monday morning quarterback".

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion