Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:15 PM   #1
dingclancy
macrumors newbie

Typing Landscape on an Ipad Mini

So the ipad mini has been for close to a couple of months, and I would like to know how well you are typing in landscape orientation with full set of fingers.

I have tried it on at the store and I find it adequate, but it would not substitute for the experience of people who actually have it and use it in the real world.

So any intel here would help.

One thing I probably won't like is how they cut the bezel on the side, so that when you type in landscape it feels like you are teetering the edges, which makes for uncomfortable typing positions on the table or on the bed. Anybody else get this?

I like typing on the full-sized iPad's virtual keyboard, and it has allowed me to be productive at work. So any experience with the iPad mini will help out a lot.

Thanks in advance!
dingclancy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:38 PM   #2
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

I always use the split keyboard when typing in landscape mode on my ipad3. I imagine one ought to do the same on the ipad mini. So cradle both sides in your palms, and type with your thumbs?
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:43 PM   #3
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazigal View Post
I always use the split keyboard when typing in landscape mode on my ipad3. I imagine one ought to do the same on the ipad mini. So cradle both sides in your palms, and type with your thumbs?
This. Although, I've never used split keyboard -- I could never get comfortable with it.

Most iPad mini users, from what I know at least, use their device almost like a large phone. They grip the sides to type on the keyboard. The iPad, on the other hand, is too big to be able to reach all of the keys with thumb typing, so we're forced to treat the touch screen keyboard as if it were an actual computer keyboard.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 4.2.1
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:27 AM   #4
Infinitewisdom
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard OSX View Post
This. Although, I've never used split keyboard -- I could never get comfortable with it.

Most iPad mini users, from what I know at least, use their device almost like a large phone. They grip the sides to type on the keyboard. The iPad, on the other hand, is too big to be able to reach all of the keys with thumb typing, so we're forced to treat the touch screen keyboard as if it were an actual computer keyboard.
This. It would be next to impossible to use two full hands on the mini's keyboard, unless you have ridiculously small hands.

I use thumbs in either portrait or landscape, depending on my mood. Slightly faster in portrait than in landscape.
Infinitewisdom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:43 AM   #5
dinggus
Banned

I can type fine, and I don't have small hands. People that say they can't type on it because of big hands are probably just not comfortable with having their hands so close together.
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad