Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:06 PM   #251
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
The response was to "I just don't get all these people going for the Mini that owned prior iPads and liked them a lot with no concern on size and weight and all of a sudden it is a BIG issue." which questioned why people who were previously happy with their devices were now drawn to a lighter an smaller version of the same. There is a long history of Apple releasing lighter version of existing prodcts which people bought once they realized they would like/use the thing more if it were easier to use.
It may be lighter and smaller than ALL iPads but surely it isn't the small quality of the 3rd or 4th gen. Is it in Apple's history to release lighter products compromising on the quality? We all know the main reason why the Mini was released.

In my opinion, a very very high percentage of andriod tablet owners don't go backwards with technology!!
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:13 PM   #252
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
It may be lighter and smaller than ALL iPads but surely it isn't the small quality of the 3rd or 4th gen. Is it in Apple's history to release lighter products compromising on the quality? We all know the main reason why the Mini was released.

In my opinion, a very very high percentage of andriod tablet owners don't go backwards with technology!!
The Titanium Powerbook, for example, had issues due to its weight and materials used. It also had reduced functionality compared to the Pismo G3 Powerbook which preceeded it.

In regards to your second point, the Nexus 7 is lower spec than the Nexus 10, and its likely that someone who has a N10 might switch to the N7 if they want a smaller tablet.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:14 PM   #253
steve dave
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
It may be lighter and smaller than ALL iPads but surely it isn't the small quality of the 3rd or 4th gen. Is it in Apple's history to release lighter products compromising on the quality? We all know the main reason why the Mini was released.

In my opinion, a very very high percentage of andriod tablet owners don't go backwards with technology!!
When apple releases smaller versions of products they are ALWAYS under powered compared to their larger siblings.
steve dave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:17 PM   #254
Zwhaler
macrumors 603
 
Zwhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Sounds like the OP could use a Note 2. That thing is portable!
__________________
2x2.93 24GB 25TB 2x1TB 840EVO 2x UAD OCTO, Apollo, 4-710d
Check Out My YouTube Channel~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zwhaler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:20 PM   #255
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dave View Post
When apple releases smaller versions of products they are ALWAYS under powered compared to their larger siblings.
Being new to Apple, under powered as far as a processor is one thing but under quality which the Mini is versus the 3rd or 4th gen is entirely different. The latter isn't worth a trade off for me personally because of size and weight especially.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:22 PM   #256
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
Being new to Apple, under powered as far as a processor is one thing but under quality which the Mini is versus the 3rd or 4th gen is entirely different. The latter isn't worth a trade off for me personally.
Assuming we are talking about the white iPad Mini and white iPad 4, what are the quality issues the Mini has that the iPad 4 doesn't. Glass that flexes a bit becuase it is thin is not a flaw, that's just what thin glass does.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:27 PM   #257
steve dave
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
Being new to Apple, under powered as far as a processor is one thing but under quality which the Mini is versus the 3rd or 4th gen is entirely different. The latter isn't worth a trade off for me personally because of size and weight especially.
I honestly don't have any idea what this arrangement of words is trying to convey.
steve dave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:28 PM   #258
bcaslis
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
Being new to Apple, under powered as far as a processor is one thing but under quality which the Mini is versus the 3rd or 4th gen is entirely different. The latter isn't worth a trade off for me personally because of size and weight especially.
The quality is not compromised it's the feature set. It's fine if the mini is not for you, but to dismiss it has having inferior quality is completely off the mark. It's like saying why buy one of those stupid MacBook Airs instead of a nice iPad 4. It has different features for different purposes.

The mini for people wanting lighter, and smaller, and maybe cheaper. For the lightness aspect, the mini has better "quality" than the iPad 4. It's a feature set compromise as all products have.
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina 13" 3.0GHz i7 8GB/512GB , iPad mini Verizon LTE 64GB, Mac mini server, iMac 24", iPhone 5s 64GB
bcaslis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:36 PM   #259
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
Assuming we are talking about the white iPad Mini and white iPad 4, what are the quality issues the Mini has that the iPad 4 doesn't. Glass that flexes a bit becuase it is thin is not a flaw, that's just what thin glass does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dave View Post
I honestly don't have any idea what this arrangement of words is trying to convey.
I translate his post as yet another way to say "It should have had a retina display."
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:52 PM   #260
Medic311
macrumors 65816
 
Medic311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
Assuming we are talking about the white iPad Mini and white iPad 4, what are the quality issues the Mini has that the iPad 4 doesn't. Glass that flexes a bit becuase it is thin is not a flaw, that's just what thin glass does.
i am shocked how thin they made the glass on the iPad Mini. it makes typing extremely loud compared to the iPad 3. they could have added a fraction of a millimeter and it would have made a big difference in rigidity. the entire screen flexes down with the slightest pressure
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:03 PM   #261
bcaslis
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic311 View Post
i am shocked how thin they made the glass on the iPad Mini. it makes typing extremely loud compared to the iPad 3. they could have added a fraction of a millimeter and it would have made a big difference in rigidity. the entire screen flexes down with the slightest pressure
Watch the iPad mini video on the website. Near the middle of it, the engineering guy comes on and states they make the glass 0.2mm thick to get the thinness achieved. That is pretty thin!
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina 13" 3.0GHz i7 8GB/512GB , iPad mini Verizon LTE 64GB, Mac mini server, iMac 24", iPhone 5s 64GB
bcaslis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:16 PM   #262
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
The quality is not compromised it's the feature set. It's fine if the mini is not for you, but to dismiss it has having inferior quality is completely off the mark. It's like saying why buy one of those stupid MacBook Airs instead of a nice iPad 4. It has different features for different purposes.

The mini for people wanting lighter, and smaller, and maybe cheaper. For the lightness aspect, the mini has better "quality" than the iPad 4. It's a feature set compromise as all products have.
I used the wrong term "quality", it should be features. That would have had folks react differently to my post.

I cannot but help folks regretting at least somewhat the decision to the Mini in the long run. Time will tell, I assume there will be posts down the road about not going with the product with better features, especially when Black Friday made the price point of the 4 that much more attractive. You have a product while not future proof, at least that much closer than going back to technology from yesteryear especially just for weight and size.

So I wasn't only talking about the screen.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:18 PM   #263
Medic311
macrumors 65816
 
Medic311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
Watch the iPad mini video on the website. Near the middle of it, the engineering guy comes on and states they make the glass 0.2mm thick to get the thinness achieved. That is pretty thin!
i mean it's great they did that, but adding another 0.2mm (doubling the thickness) won't make the iPad Mini a bulky device. i don't understand the need of having to make the glass so thin that it flexes and is hollow-sounding when you tap on it. it makes it feel cheap but more importantly it sounds like i am flicking the side of a plastic cup now everytime i tap the screen
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:42 PM   #264
steve dave
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
I used the wrong term "quality", it should be features. That would have had folks react differently to my post.

I cannot but help folks regretting at least somewhat the decision to the Mini in the long run. Time will tell, I assume there will be posts down the road about not going with the product with better features, especially when Black Friday made the price point of the 4 that much more attractive. You have a product while not future proof, at least that much closer than going back to technology from yesteryear especially just for weight and size.

So I wasn't only talking about the screen.
Stop it already. There are always compromises in specs when moving to smaller devices. People understand this when making a purchasing decision. If the size and cost are enough to outweigh those compromises for people, then they are obviously going to choose that product. It is the same with every apple product ever released. Why don't you go troll The MacBook Air forum with this tired argument?
steve dave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:47 PM   #265
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Lightbulb

Please note the title of this thread. I ain't the one in the wrong place.

BTW, Apple didn't call this the iPad 2 Mini did they? Some folks need to seriously wake up honestly. I assume some folks will think they are getting a smaller device closer more to the newer larger iPads with their features.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:55 PM   #266
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
Please note the title of this thread. I ain't the one in the wrong place.

BTW, Apple didn't call this the iPad 2 Mini did they? Some folks need to seriously wake up honestly. I assume some folks will think they are getting a smaller device closer more to the newer larger iPads with their features.
I suppose so, but then again I suppose people who bought the Nissan Sentra thought they were getting a small GT-R.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:01 PM   #267
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
I suppose so, but then again I suppose people who bought the Nissan Sentra thought they were getting a small GT-R.
You aren't comparing Apples to Apples btw.

Did you return the Mini? If not, why are you here? Most here did. It's like some are trying to convince others they should've have. And a company cannot get away in andriod land what apple did with the Mini as most buyers would not bite.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:12 PM   #268
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
I used the wrong term "quality", it should be features. That would have had folks react differently to my post.

I cannot but help folks regretting at least somewhat the decision to the Mini in the long run. Time will tell, I assume there will be posts down the road about not going with the product with better features, especially when Black Friday made the price point of the 4 that much more attractive. You have a product while not future proof, at least that much closer than going back to technology from yesteryear especially just for weight and size.

So I wasn't only talking about the screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
BTW, Apple didn't call this the iPad 2 Mini did they? Some folks need to seriously wake up honestly. I assume some folks will think they are getting a smaller device closer more to the newer larger iPads with their features.
They are getting "a smaller device closer more to the newer larger iPads with their features." Where do you get the idea that people expect the smaller, cheaper version of a product to have the exact same features as the larger, more expensive version?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
And a company cannot get away in andriod land what apple did with the Mini as most buyers would not bite.
What does that mean?

"Android land" contains tons of smaller, cheaper tablets with worse features.
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:16 PM   #269
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
They are getting "a smaller device closer more to the newer larger iPads with their features." Where do you get the idea that people expect the smaller, cheaper version of a product to have the exact same features as the larger, more expensive version?
You don't think some would get that impression. Please, if you deal with what I do daily your eyes would not just roll they would pop out of your head.

Head to Best Buy and spend some time by the Apple display or go to an Apple store. Trust me you will see what I mean. And btw, at least some employees will only mention size weight and portability if not questioned about specs and features. I would have dared Apple to call this the iPad2 Mini.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:48 PM   #270
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
You aren't comparing Apples to Apples btw.
I see what you did there.

Quote:
Did you return the Mini? If not, why are you here? Most here did. It's like some are trying to convince others they should've have. And a company cannot get away in andriod land what apple did with the Mini as most buyers would not bite.
Google named its tablets around the sizes; you would still have to look up the specs or talk to a sales person to find out that that the N7 is not just a smaller N10. The N7 is a lower-powered version of the N10 just as the Mini is a lower-powered version of the iPad 4.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:00 PM   #271
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
You don't think some would get that impression. Please, if you deal with what I do daily your eyes would not just roll they would pop out of your head.

Head to Best Buy and spend some time by the Apple display or go to an Apple store. Trust me you will see what I mean. And btw, at least some employees will only mention size weight and portability if not questioned about specs and features. I would have dared Apple to call this the iPad2 Mini.
Made up anecdotes aside, selling a smaller, cheaper version of a product with reduced features isn't confusing to the average consumer. It's normal despite your off the wall claim that it wouldn't happen in "Android land".

If I by a netbook, I'm not really surprised that it doesn't have the same features as a larger, more expensive laptop.
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:08 PM   #272
Ayemerica
macrumors 6502a
 
Ayemerica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
I see what you did there.



Google named its tablets around the sizes; you would still have to look up the specs or talk to a sales person to find out that that the N7 is not just a smaller N10. The N7 is a lower-powered version of the N10 just as the Mini is a lower-powered version of the iPad 4.
Well said. +1
__________________
iPhone 5S 16GB Space Grey - iPad 4 32GB Black - Mac mini 2012
Ayemerica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:06 PM   #273
lianlua
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
I assume some folks will think they are getting a smaller device closer more to the newer larger iPads with their features.
This still doesn't make any sense. What "features" does the iPad mini lack that the full-size iPads have, except for the retina display?

Apart from the display, you're getting a wholly comparable product. That's the trade you make by getting the mini, and in exchange, you save a pretty significant chunk of money.

There's this ongoing myth that the iPad mini is somehow "dated" or deficient in some way and there's just no basis in fact for that.
lianlua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:35 PM   #274
Mac... nificent
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lianlua View Post
What "features" does the iPad mini lack that the full-size iPads have, except for the retina display?
The the A5 processor is one big difference, but there are other differences between the two like the mini has two speakers, and the unibody shell is more rounded on the back and edges. This makes it more comfortable to hold in your hands. For me all of these things are pluses for the mini. There are other differences but they are small (pun intended) like SIM card size. I loved my iPad 3 BUT I sold it because it was frankly too big for my needs. The smaller size of the mini is its main attraction. As soon as they add the retina screen I'll be getting one
Mac... nificent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:10 PM   #275
gatearray
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
All this talk about "last year's tech" really bothers me. If you note the benchmarks, the iPad 2, iPad 3, and iPad Mini all bench around 770 or so. The iPad 3 came out in March of this year and was the cutting edge until Apple surprised us with a new revision.

If the iPad 4 wasn't released 5-6 months early, would we even be having this conversation?

The fact is, the A5 is a chip being sold in several current Apple devices and the iPad Mini has plenty of power for iOS 6. It has similar benchmarks to the iPad 3 and all old and new iPad apps work perfectly on it.

For $329 it's an affordable entry into the iPad ecosystem, so what's the problem?
gatearray is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All iPads: iPad Mini with Retina Display Returned! AdonisSMU iPad 40 Nov 17, 2013 11:11 PM
iPad Mini: I think I used to own the rarest iPad mini ever! But I returned it... aPple nErd iPad 3 May 30, 2013 11:28 PM
iPad Mini: Returned my iPad Mini, smart choice? iMichael! iPad 37 Jan 14, 2013 11:27 AM
iPad Mini: Returned iPad Mini today - too many headaches - now what? manito2000 iPad 107 Nov 21, 2012 03:55 PM
iPad Mini: Returned iPad 4 for mini and loving it! insimbi iPad 7 Nov 6, 2012 02:18 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC