Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
NY
I want to pre order an iPad with cellular, Which carrier is best for iPads? At&t, Verizon or Sprint? Thanks.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
I want to pre order an iPad with cellular, Which carrier is best for iPads? At&t, Verizon or Sprint? Thanks.

Independent real world network analysis like that carried out by root metrics illustrate that AT&t is consistently ranked bellow Verizon. And their customer service is consistently ranked dead last.

The Verizon and Sprint models have Global LTE capabilities and also can be used on AT&T and Tmobile.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Does Verizon make you get a new SIM card if you haven't used the service for awhile? I've seen this posted on this board somewhere and I'm not too keen on that if its true.

jarednt1

macrumors member
May 2, 2005
I switched from ATT to Verizon when the 5 came out. My wife and I could not be happier with our switch.

So I say Verizon.

marvingaye

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2006
Does Verizon make you get a new SIM card if you haven't used the service for awhile? I've seen this posted on this board somewhere and I'm not too keen on that if its true.

Yes - if your account is inactive for 5 months, it gets cancelled and you need a new SIM.

Jane333

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2012
Michigan USA
Yes - if your account is inactive for 5 months, it gets cancelled and you need a new SIM.

Plus, Verizon won't give you the new SIM card and will tell you they don't offer prepaid plans. You have to get the new SIM card elsewhere, such as eBay. I honestly don't know how apple let's this happen.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Plus, Verizon won't give you the new SIM card and will tell you they don't offer prepaid plans. You have to get the new SIM card elsewhere, such as eBay. I honestly don't know how apple let's this happen.

Agreed, I like Verizon's network but they are a no go for me on the iPad for this reason. AT&T has a better data price for 3GB anyway.

jb9217a

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
I chose Verizon even though I use AT&T for my phone (And I have never had issues with AT&T)

1) Verizon works in more places and has LTE in ALOT more cities including mine (AT&T does not) Also their 3g coverage extends out a lot farther.

2) I like Verizon's low end plan better 20$ for 1gb...not sure how much I will use but AT&T charges $15 for a sad 250mb....BUT they have a better mid level plan (30$ for 3gb while Verizon gibes you 2}. Both charge the same for 5gb.

3) Verizon let's you use the hotspot feature for free...AT&T charges you...

I did not know about the Sim card issue but if you're getting an LTE iPad and paying 130$ extra why are you going more then 5 months without using it? Lol

Tor Eckman

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
We just switched from AT&T to Verizon, because AT&T doesn't have LTE where we live, and AT&T voice calls constantly drop. So far we are very happy with Verizon; LTE is unbelievable, and the voice quality is better with no dropped calls during the first week of use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.