Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

steven_sinofsky.jpg
Late yesterday, Microsoft announced its own management shakeup, with Windows and Windows Live President Steven Sinofsky stepping down from the role he had held for over three years. Sinofsky's position is now being split, with Windows executive Julie Larson-Green taking on oversight of engineering and Windows chief financial officer and chief marketing officer Tami Reller adding responsibility for the remainder of the business aspects of the Windows business unit.
"I am grateful for the many years of work that Steven has contributed to the company," [Microsoft CEO Steve] Ballmer said. "The products and services we have delivered to the market in the past few months mark the launch of a new era at Microsoft. We've built an incredible foundation with new releases of Microsoft Office, Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Microsoft Surface, Windows Server 2012 and 'Halo 4,' and great integration of services such as Bing, Skype and Xbox across all our products. To continue this success it is imperative that we continue to drive alignment across all Microsoft teams, and have more integrated and rapid development cycles for our offerings."
The move is being seen by some as a parallel to the impending departure of iOS chief Scott Forstall at Apple, with AllThingsD reporting that executive tensions involving Sinofsky had simply reached a breaking point.
Sources have said the move came amid growing tension between Sinofsky and other top executives. Sinofsky, though seen as highly talented, was viewed at the top levels as not the kind of team player that the company was looking for.
Sinofsky's departure comes just weeks after several high-profile product introductions for Microsoft's Windows division, with the company launching Windows 8 and its Surface tablet late last month.

Article Link: Microsoft Windows Chief Steven Sinofsky Out Following Windows 8 and Surface Launches

arunim

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2009
Expected this.. Windows 8 is a fail for desktop, but very good innovation for tablet.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
If Microsoft really wants to help themselves, the only Steve they need to get rid of is Ballmer.

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
100% on point. I will go so far as to say that it is almost unusable as desktop software.

But has there even been a judgement of the Windows 8 impact on Microsoft yet? Seems pretty soon, and tablet sales may very well overtake computer sales in the future. I dont know that Windows 8 being good or bad is part of the reason hes leaving.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Sinofsky seemed like one of the best people in Microsoft's leadership. Usually, "not a team player" really means "doesn't agree with the boss."

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
100% on point. I will go so far as to say that it is almost unusable as desktop software.

Do you say that as someone who's never used it before? Because the desktop is still right there, just as good as it was in Windows 7.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
He's leaving because like Forstall he apparently is a major ****** who didn't work well with other areas of Microsoft. Also rumor is he pushed Ballmer to make him next in line for CEO and Ballmer refused.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Expected this.. Windows 8 is a fail for desktop, but very good innovation for tablet.

He's not the one responsible for Windows 8's radical shift. Julie Larson Green is, she's also the one who designed the ribbon interface.

Seems pretty usable to me, and I've been using it since February. It's Windows 7 but sleeker, more refined and faster. Seriously the only major difference is the Start Menu is now fullscreen, but then you can now organise it to your hearts content.

Re8DP.jpg
dGWb9.jpg

Last edited:

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Nothing wrong with it on a desktop.
In fact it's very usable.
It's different than 7, but you get used to it pretty quick.
Typing this on a Win 8 desktop right now.

As for Sinofsky, he had major problems working with other departments.
Real douche to other management teams from what I understand.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Windows 8 is the worst. those active corners arent mouse friendly at all and it took me literally 20 minutes to figure out how to close an app and how to turn the machine off.

with all those dif. windows editions, ms should have released a desktop specific edition

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.