Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:00 PM   #1
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020

iPhone 5 in NYC - WOW!

So this past weekend I visited New York; it was the first time I've been up there with my new iPhone 5.

All I can say is that AT&T LTE data makes such a huge difference! I've gone from it often being near unusable (iPhone 4) on my last trip, to absolutely no problems getting fast data performance on this trip. On my previous trip, there were often times that I couldn't even send a simple tweet when I was near central park; this time my data performance consistently felt like fast Wifi.

I did notice something interesting: There's no LTE coverage in Penn Station or Grand Central Terminal, just standard 3G "4G". I'm guessing they use microcells to provide coverage down there, and they're not LTE capable. However, performance was adequate despite that.

On another topic: Maps did just fine in NYC! I was able to find everything I looked for, though I don't use it for transit directions. I use the much better HopStop app... but I was worried Maps wouldn't be up to snuff and it turned out to work just fine.

I was so impressed by how well my new phone worked in NYC compared to my last phone that I wanted to post. Plus, this forum needs more positive threads.

EDIT: Another amusing anecdote: The iPhone 5's GPS is far superior to the 4. I was able to get a GPS lock on the plane. It happily told me I was going a bit over 500MPH at 39,000 feet or so, and was able to get a very fast-moving dot on my (cached) Maps. Old phone couldn't get a lock at ALL in an aircraft.
zorinlynx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Menel
macrumors 601

It tanks when you go out into Long Island beyond LTE coverage. Unusable 0.2mbps 4G.

Not as good as Atlanta
Actually LTE is irrelevant in Atlanta. The 4-9mbps on 4G is extemely satisfactory. The 50-60mbps on LTE is ridiculously unnecessary.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:44 PM   #3
sillywabbit
macrumors 6502a

I barley get 8 download in Los Angeles on Verizon.
sillywabbit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Jack Dangers
macrumors regular

yes, LTE is definitely a game changer. 3G was unusable in DC but I'm very happy with LTE in DC. mid-day I average around 15 down and at night it is around 30 down. I'm happy.
Jack Dangers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:08 PM   #5
mbaran
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbit View Post
8's not so bad. My AT&T LTE speeds on my One X are not that good, and once I wander away from LTE, even with 5 bars of "4G" I can't even pull up google.
mbaran is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:13 PM   #6
gentlefury
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbit View Post
All of a sudden I am getting like 1MB/s on Verizon LTE...and my friend on AT&T is having the same problem with horrible speeds. Is it maybe the update they released lately?
gentlefury is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:20 PM   #7
chakraj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
So this past weekend I visited New York; it was the first time I've been up there with my new iPhone 5.

All I can say is that AT&T LTE data makes such a huge difference! I've gone from it often being near unusable (iPhone 4) on my last trip, to absolutely no problems getting fast data performance on this trip. On my previous trip, there were often times that I couldn't even send a simple tweet when I was near central park; this time my data performance consistently felt like fast Wifi.

I did notice something interesting: There's no LTE coverage in Penn Station or Grand Central Terminal, just standard 3G "4G". I'm guessing they use microcells to provide coverage down there, and they're not LTE capable. However, performance was adequate despite that.

On another topic: Maps did just fine in NYC! I was able to find everything I looked for, though I don't use it for transit directions. I use the much better HopStop app... but I was worried Maps wouldn't be up to snuff and it turned out to work just fine.

I was so impressed by how well my new phone worked in NYC compared to my last phone that I wanted to post. Plus, this forum needs more positive threads.

EDIT: Another amusing anecdote: The iPhone 5's GPS is far superior to the 4. I was able to get a GPS lock on the plane. It happily told me I was going a bit over 500MPH at 39,000 feet or so, and was able to get a very fast-moving dot on my (cached) Maps. Old phone couldn't get a lock at ALL in an aircraft.

So what your saying is that apple makes a terrible product in the iphone 4, it had bad GPS and almost unusable data, couldn't even tweet. Ya they do make an inferior product, you've got that right.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:15 AM   #8
bushman4
macrumors 65816

LTE gets better by the day in NYC. Coverage is good, speeds are a game changer.
bushman4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone