Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:39 PM   #1
albert1028
macrumors 6502

External Storage and 2012 Mac Mini Sleeping Issues

Hey All,

Wanted to see if people had experienced sleeping problems when an external hdd is connected. I have tried several external storage devices, including OWC Ministack but it won't sleep and the external device will wake it up. I have tried to look at what is keeping it up through terminal but search has not turned up anything.
albert1028 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:49 PM   #2
dasx
macrumors 65816

I have two external drives always connected and my Mini has no problems at all with sleep.

It actually sleeps when I don't want it to (due to Mountain Lionů DOH). Here's where terminal's command 'caffeinate' comes in handy.
dasx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:36 PM   #3
albert1028
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasx View Post
I have two external drives always connected and my Mini has no problems at all with sleep.

It actually sleeps when I don't want it to (due to Mountain Lionů DOH). Here's where terminal's command 'caffeinate' comes in handy.
That's good to know if others are not having these issues as well. I wonder what externals you have as in what type of USB chipset is connected. Is this on a 2012 mini?
albert1028 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:49 PM   #4
pup
macrumors member

As above, I also have the opposite problem. My narcoleptic mini wants to nod off during handbrake encodes, and even puts external HD's to sleep in the middle of file transfers.
pup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:58 AM   #5
dasx
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert1028 View Post
That's good to know if others are not having these issues as well. I wonder what externals you have as in what type of USB chipset is connected. Is this on a 2012 mini?
Yes, 2012 Mini. A 1TB FW800 iomega drive and a 1TB USB2.0 Toshiba one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup View Post
As above, I also have the opposite problem. My narcoleptic mini wants to nod off during handbrake encodes, and even puts external HD's to sleep in the middle of file transfers.
Option 1 is to disable sleep, which I don't like.
Option 2 is to open terminal and type:

$ caffeinate -t number

Where number is a number of seconds. If you estimate the Handbrake is gonna take for lets say 7 hours. Just type:

$ caffeinate -t 25200

It'll stay away for 7 hours. Then will go to sleep as normal.
dasx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:37 AM   #6
pup
macrumors member

Thanks. I actually downloaded the caffeine app after I discovered the problem. Hopefully it won't be an issue from here on.
pup is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini