Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
A site in China claims to have spoken with industry sources who say that the "iPhone 5S" will be available in the first half of 2013.

Apple's product line could be getting a major makeover early next year, a new report claims.

The company plans to launch a new iPhone, iPad, and "iTV" device by the middle of next year, China Times is reporting today, citing unidentified industry sources. The new smartphone will be called the "iPhone 5S," according to the outlet's sources.

Apple has used the "S" at the end of a number of recent iPhone updates. The iPhone 3GS, like the iPhone 4S, came with the same design as their predecessors, but delivered internal components that increased speed and performance. It's possible Apple might be following the same strategy with the iPhone 5.China Times didn't say what "iTV" might be, but we've heard rumblings before with the name being used. In some cases, the iTV moniker is used to identify a possible television Apple is working on. In other cases, the iTV points to an updated Apple TV set-top box. That device, according to some reports, could act as a DVR and accommodate cable programming.

For their part, China Times' industry sources haven't said much about the devices that Apple is reportedly working on. However, the publication claims that the iPad maker has sent samples to regulators to obtain certification and start mass-producing the purported iPhone 5S.

CNET has contacted Apple for comment on the report. We will update this story when we have more information.

from here

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57548267-37/new-iphone-ipad-and-itv-slated-for-first-half-of-2013/

and here

http://news.softpedia.com/news/iPad-5-Coming-Out-Early-Next-Year-Says-China-s-Commercial-Times-306297.shtml

looks like ipad 5 is comeing out vary soon like in marh

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
A site in China claims to have spoken with industry sources who say that the "iPhone 5S" will be available in the first half of 2013.

Apple's product line could be getting a major makeover early next year, a new report claims.

The company plans to launch a new iPhone, iPad, and "iTV" device by the middle of next year, China Times is reporting today, citing unidentified industry sources. The new smartphone will be called the "iPhone 5S," according to the outlet's sources.

Apple has used the "S" at the end of a number of recent iPhone updates. The iPhone 3GS, like the iPhone 4S, came with the same design as their predecessors, but delivered internal components that increased speed and performance. It's possible Apple might be following the same strategy with the iPhone 5.China Times didn't say what "iTV" might be, but we've heard rumblings before with the name being used. In some cases, the iTV moniker is used to identify a possible television Apple is working on. In other cases, the iTV points to an updated Apple TV set-top box. That device, according to some reports, could act as a DVR and accommodate cable programming.

For their part, China Times' industry sources haven't said much about the devices that Apple is reportedly working on. However, the publication claims that the iPad maker has sent samples to regulators to obtain certification and start mass-producing the purported iPhone 5S.

CNET has contacted Apple for comment on the report. We will update this story when we have more information.

from here

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57548267-37/new-iphone-ipad-and-itv-slated-for-first-half-of-2013/

and here

http://news.softpedia.com/news/iPad-5-Coming-Out-Early-Next-Year-Says-China-s-Commercial-Times-306297.shtml

looks like ipad 5 is comeing out vary soon like in marh

actually it is being speculated to be the new ipad mini....

"since the display resolution of its latest version of iPad has come out lower than expected," reads the report.

It's likely Digitimes is referring to Apple's newly launched iPad mini, which is expected to be updated with a Retina display in 2013.

http://www.booksnreview.com/article...e-5s-new-ipad-itv-release-date-2013-apple.htm

snow755

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
actually it is being speculated to be the new ipad mini....

"since the display resolution of its latest version of iPad has come out lower than expected," reads the report.

It's likely Digitimes is referring to Apple's newly launched iPad mini, which is expected to be updated with a Retina display in 2013.

http://www.booksnreview.com/article...e-5s-new-ipad-itv-release-date-2013-apple.htm

no they are not they are talking about the ipad 5 not the mini and I don't think apple has any plans too too put a Retina display on the ipad mini any time soon

Tezcatlipoca

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Cambridge, UK
That source is apparently just as (un)reliable as Digitimes (which bizarrely still gets quoted a lot by many sites, despite usually being wrong).

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
no they are not they are talking about the ipad 5 not the mini and I don't think apple has any plans too too put a Retina display on the ipad mini any time soon

Yours talks about the 5. Mine talks about the mini....and I think you are wrong but we shall see....

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
I read an article the other day from some Belgium site that said Apple is going to release a new product at the end of the first quarter. Apparently they had insider information from T. Cook and team themselves and they say it's revolutionary.

Give me a break, it's been literally 2 months. Never trust information at face value;)...especially news

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
To be honest, it'd be amazing, and i won't at all be mad if apple chose to shorten the S cycle to every half year and thus having actually brand new phones every year.

simply stunning

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
I would be surprised if there was a new phone. I expect a new IPad (5) though. I think they put out the 4 as they needed to update it to the current connector, as it would have been the only device not on the new one, and that would be reason enough for many people not to buy it. I would expect some other new product from apple next spring. Maybe a new apple TV/ITV, maybe something else? I'm excited to see what it might be.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I could see a new appletv but not a new ipad or iphone. People still are having issues getting their hands on a 5 b.c of production......highly doubt a new one would already be put into production.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
I would be just as happy with the new Apple Airport extreme that is way over due. iPhone 5S later next year around June/July/August/Sept time frame, iPad 5 Mid next year and the next MacMini in early 2014 is my guess.....

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Margins on TVs are very very thin, and I don't see Apple going into this market.

I have no opinion on the likelihood of Apple making a TV. However, I'll point out that Apple currently competes in markets where the margins are thin for everyone but Apple, so that is no deterrent to Apple entering the market.

If they make a TV, they will do what they always do; build something that is different and compelling, and price it accordingly.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
A new iPad already? They should have just redesigned the iPad 3 with the new connector and waited on the 4 until next year when they could make it look like the Mini.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Margins on TVs are very very thin, and I don't see Apple going into this market.

Apple wouldn't jump into the TV market to make money on TVs. It would do so to make money off music, TV shows, movies and apps.

The Samsung TV I have really does a poor job at offering an enhanced experience with apps. Netflix works fine, but it's a shade worse than the Apple TV version. I honestly haven't really used any of the Samsung apps much since I got my third-gen Apple TV. Between ATV and my Xbox 360, they're useless.

If Apple can figure out some way to make this stuff better -- think the option for what ticker you get on ESPN and CNN -- it could make a killing. I still think a better way forward is to get this available through Apple TV. People don't buy new TVs that often. I have a 2-year-old LED TV and a 4-year-old LCD in my bedroom. I'm hoping I don't need one for at least another six years.

But I'll easily plop down $100 for an ATV box. With the advances in AirPlay and the new apps that Apple adds, it keeps getting better. I just wish an app store would get added for ATV because it would explode in popularity.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Apple makes money off hardware. They'd jump in TVs only if they could sell in the millions and make their margin. I don't see it happening.

That said, their iphone clearly doesn't belong in the fall lineup so close to the ipads. But just remember that new versions of iOS and the iphone go together. You won't see one without the other. So allow time for iOS 7 beta which I would expect to be more of an A+ update vs iOS 6.

I wouldn't be surprised to see iphone (along with iOS) moved back to summer release with iOS announced by May. The ipads are where they want them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.