Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x986

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
NorCal
I just printed my United boarding pass for tomorrow, and THEN I thought about Passbook. I downloaded the United app. (AA and Virgin are the only other airlines that seem to have apps so far.) Probably, I won't have a printer available at the hotel for my return, I'll have an opportunity to try it on the return.

Has anyone used this yet? Will the barcode just appear when I preboard, or will I have to e-mail it to the phone (not my regular e-mail address)?

btw, the Passbook folder renamed itself 'Travel'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I assume you mean Passbook.

Although when I read the thread title I had a scant hope there was going to be some kind of electronic passport.

x986

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
NorCal
I assume you mean Passbook.

Although when I read the thread title I had a scant hope there was going to be some kind of electronic passport.

Thank you, Sital. I guess I can't expect too many worthwhile answers when I don't ask the right question. :eek:

OriginalClone

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
I just printed my United boarding pass for tomorrow, and THEN I thought about Passport. I downloaded the United app. (AA and Virgin are the only other airlines that seem to have apps so far.) Probably, I won't have a printer available at the hotel for my return, I'll have an opportunity to try it on the return.

Has anyone used this yet? Will the barcode just appear when I preboard, or will I have to e-mail it to the phone (not my regular e-mail address)?

btw, the Passport folder renamed itself 'Travel'.

I've used it a few times. After you're checked in use the United app to view the boarding pass tap add to passbook. I have passbook enabled for my lock screen, so when my phone is locked and the time gets close to my flight it will alert me. Also, folders don't rename themselves.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I've used the United mobile boarding passes several times and they work great. I've found, however, that once you've printed the paper boarding passes, they won't let you access the mobile version. So take your pick.

BrandoFiasco

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
Santa Monica, California
I used it a couple weeks ago. You can tap to add the pass to Passbook, and then you just swipe the barcode over their scanners (you'll see others doing the same) or you can just use the barcode presented to you in the United App. I used both and each worked just as well.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
MOD NOTE: I edited the OP and removed several instances of name-calling. Please proceed without additional name-calling.

B

stevedusa

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
I found Passbook pretty useful, also saves trees too!

However if I understand this correctly, the boarding pass would only work for flight that's originated within the States. I was on a trip from LAX to YYZ recently and on my outbound flight, I was able to check in using AA's app then export the pass to Passbook. No problem checking in at all. Some people were amused that I don't have any boarding pass but a phone.

However on my return flight, after checking in using the AA's app, it says the mobile boarding pass (Passbook) is not available for this trip.

It saves time for sure. Consider, you can check in using the phone, add the boarding pass to your Passbook and skips all that check-in line at the airport, just go straight to the TSA line for public humiliation.

Also it does wonder for movie tickets too! Fandango app support export your movie tickets to Passbook as well. Again I love the look on the guy who checks for ticket at the entry when I just showed him my Passbook on the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.