Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
I just want to let everyone know of a good price on a 2TB seagate Backup Plus desk Firewire 800 at Best Buy.

Disclaimer: This has worked twice for me without issue AND I have notified the store of the discrepancy and they had no concern about it. So I have done what I am willing to do to figure I am not ripping them off.

So the exact drive is the Seagate Backup Plus 2TB Firewire800/USB 2.0 drive.
Link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seagate+-+Backup+Plus+2TB+External+FireWire+800/USB+2.0+Hard+Drive/5597331.p;tab=reviews?id=1218670780001&skuId=5597331#
The price is listed $149.99 and remains that way through checkout. So upon checkout with tax I paid $161. 61. Now upon pickup at the store as I did the pick up same day option and the receipt they give me says $97.99 for the item so $105.58 with tax.
I paid via Paypal as that is where I had some money and when I arrived back home, I had an email stating that BestBuy has refunded $56.03.

So there ya go. Nearly 1/3 off the price. Now the extra bonus is that this drive is upgradable to Thunderbolt from Seagate and various other outlets for $189 or near there. So for under $300 you can get an excellent Thunderbolt 2TB drive.

So there ya go. Just thought I would share my experience. I am interested if this would be for others as well. Also these 2 purchases for 2 weeks apart giving them ample time to correct the error.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
seems like a hassle if it doesnt work - but thanks for the heads up. Have been looking on Amazon for another 3TB USB 3.0 external - may go this way instead. Any others tried this?

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
yeah it works out for me becuase the bestbuy is right by work. So if this time I was charged full price I would have just returned it. But I can see it being a hastle there is no Best Buy near-by and I dont know if this works for non store pickups.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Thank for posting this. I just ordered one, and will post here after I pick it up and see the price. Hope it works out for me, BB is close so no big deal if it doesn't.

I wonder how this snafu happened.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, I got charged the full price, will pick it up after work today.

Was there any other indication on the discount before you picked up? (Online invoice, etc.) I got the pickup email already, but there's to price in the email.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
I had no indication until I looked at the receipt that had the lower price. I then checked my paypal account and saw that there was in fact a refund. So I was charged full, then refunded. I also received an e-mail from paypal stating that a refund had been issued.

Attachments

• Untitled.gif
    Untitled.gif
    76.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Untitled2.gif
    Untitled2.gif
    76.8 KB · Views: 104

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
most places I have found are around the $149 price. I think I was able to find one for around $130 but didnt delve into shipping costs and what not. I think for something you can get day of and a small bit of time its a hell of a deal. Now even if you pay full price for the thunderbolt adapter, you're still under $300.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
yeah I went to buy one at the regular price. I sort of want to see what other drives or items it works on. But I would have to go through the whole thing and most likely this is the only one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.